Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 06:20 PM

17,304 posts, read 12,242,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey2k View Post
I think a big part of the problem is, if you want to turn left, you get in the left/inside lane, then when you get to your turn, you make a right turn across another lane of traffic, something most of us find very counter-intuitive.

Until this thread I assumed the inside lane couldn't turn anywhere, that you had to be in the outside lane to exit the roundabout (otherwise you'd be turning across another lane, which seemed dumb). I couldn't understand why anyone would ever get in the inside lane. I get it now, but it is counter to everything we have previously been taught about proper driving.
That’s what I think you and op are missing. The outside lane is not a continuous lane. It’s 4 segments. Each segment ending where the inside lane can exit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2018, 05:42 AM

1,347 posts, read 945,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
That’s what I think you and op are missing. The outside lane is not a continuous lane. It’s 4 segments. Each segment ending where the inside lane can exit.

I can't rep you, but, yes, this. ^^^^

Old 09-01-2018, 08:44 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,807,497 times
Quote:

I think they got that now, but it is still a right turn to go left.

Old 09-03-2018, 01:26 PM

1,406 posts, read 800,770 times
Quote:

I understand how it's supposed to work, but I still think it's stupid and not intuitive. If I want to turn left I'm supposed to get in the inside lane, drive around the circle and then turn across the outside lane to exit, and hope no one is in that lane?

Nope, not going to do it. The exits are on the outside, so I'm going to stay in the outside lane and ride it around to wherever I'm getting off, no matter which exit it is. I will never get in the inside lane of a multi-lane roundabout if I can help it.

And just for good measure, I think I'll start coming to a complete stop before entering roundabouts from now on, regardless of whether there are any vehicles in it or not. Only after making sure there are no vehicles either in the roundabout or approaching it from any other direction will I proceed.

Old 09-03-2018, 02:28 PM

17,304 posts, read 12,242,173 times
I don’t think that you do. What you want to do is no different than going straight through a right turn only lane.

Old 09-03-2018, 05:59 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,807,497 times
Quote:
I don’t think that you do. What you want to do is no different than going straight through a right turn only lane.

Don't you mean turning left from the right turn lane?

Old 09-03-2018, 08:05 PM

1,347 posts, read 945,147 times
Quote:
Nope, not going to do it. The exits are on the outside, so I'm going to stay in the outside lane and ride it around to wherever I'm getting off, no matter which exit it is. I will never get in the inside lane of a multi-lane roundabout if I can help it.

If there is someone next to you in the inside lane who wants to go straight while you are (illegally) trying to go around the roundabout (make a left turn) from the outside lane, you are going to cause an accident and you will be at fault.

Old 09-03-2018, 08:44 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,585,099 times
Quote:
I understand how it's supposed to work, but I still think it's stupid and not intuitive. If I want to turn left I'm supposed to get in the inside lane, drive around the circle and then turn across the outside lane to exit, and hope no one is in that lane?

And just for good measure, I think I'll start coming to a complete stop before entering roundabouts from now on, regardless of whether there are any vehicles in it or not. Only after making sure there are no vehicles either in the roundabout or approaching it from any other direction will I proceed.

The problem is that the outside lane ends when you're halfway through the circle. If you try and continue inside the roundabout to make a left turn, you're now crossing a solid white line, which puts you at fault when you hit someone. Because the person in the inside lane, right next to you, may be looking to exit and go straight. If you're looking to turn left, the inside lane is your only legal and safe option. Once you're past the second exit, you swing over to the right lane or stay in your lane, and exit. The only conflicting traffic at this point is opposite direction traffic looking to enter the roundabout, and they are required to yield the right of way to you. Go back and look at the diagram in the first post. Right turning traffic has to be in the outside lane. Straight through traffic can be in either lane. Left turning traffic has to be in the inside lane. Your post shows you to be utterly lacking in how to properly enter, transition and exit a roundabout. You should probably consider getting some driver's education and training before going through a roundabout. For your safety and the safety of others.

Old 09-03-2018, 09:23 PM

1,406 posts, read 800,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Your post shows you to be utterly lacking in how to properly enter, transition and exit a roundabout. You should probably consider getting some driver's education and training before going through a roundabout. For your safety and the safety of others.
I don't need any education. I know how the people who designed and installed them intend for them to work. I'm just not going to do it that way.

Old 09-03-2018, 09:51 PM

21,872 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Ok.. So.. This image.

Keep the blue and red cars coming from the bottom, the red car at the bottom goes right..

Now.. Say that there is a blue car that enters from the top (outside lane) and is driving slower than the red.. Whatever.. the red car catches up to them and is going to the left(From his original perspective), but the blue car that enters from the top is going straight through.

What am I missing here? There HAS to be something more to this that I'm not catching here, because this seems to be designed to cause carnage.

Is the blue car entering from the top, even though they are in the outside lane, supposed to wait until all traffic in all lanes is clear before entering?

this would make sense, and the road markings seem to indicate that the right lane MUST turn right.. But allowing that lane to go straight.. I don't see how this works.
Problem is nobody looks where they're going. Blue car entering from the top just watched the red car drive around half the roundabout and keep going. There's only two things it's going to do. It can either be going three-quarters of the way around the round-about to make a left turn or it can be going all the way around and making a U-turn. 99% of the time they aren't going to go all the way around so it's pretty safe assumption that they will be turning across your path and you need to yield. I mean, you need to yield anyway but that's why you need to. Also use blinkers.

Last edited by Malloric; 09-03-2018 at 10:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive