Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 09:41 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,036,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDancer View Post
This is a pretty extreme scenario, if I am understanding correctly - car 2 hasn't even made it 1/4 around the roundabout to the first possible exit...

At most roundabouts that I've seen, that's not even possible. You are at the first possible exit as soon as you are at the entrance to the roundabout.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 02:17 PM

2,031 posts, read 1,654,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthisle View Post
Single lane roundabouts decrease crashes by 18%

Double lane roundabouts decrease serious injury crashes by 16% but they increase total crashes by 62%

https://repository.asu.edu/attachmen...010N_15713.pdf

Science says they're bad

I go through two double lane roundabouts almost daily. Me and my fellow motorists all figured it out pretty quickly and traffic flows smoothly. I have not seen a wreck in those roundabouts but have at the lighted intersection a 1/2 mile down the road.

Old 09-04-2018, 05:27 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,049,080 times
Two-lane roundabout is not bad. I recall one in the British Virgin Islands that I really detested. Heavy traffic, three lanes, clockwise roundabout (a drive on left nation), but rental cars are American style (driver on left).

Then there's this monster!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OGvj7GZSIo

Old 09-05-2018, 07:29 AM

1,062 posts, read 980,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
No, it shows how stupid most people are that they can't just understand it intuitively.
So what do you want to do, ban people with below average (100) IQ from driving?

Old 09-05-2018, 11:37 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,582,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthisle View Post
So what do you want to do, ban people with below average (100) IQ from driving?
Can you imagine how much smoother traffic would flow if we did that?!

Old 09-06-2018, 11:51 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,922,938 times
I love roundabouts, wish there were more of them, don't understand why some hate them so much, they are very simple to maneuver through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-olqiG42Ud4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFBuwIV4isg

Last edited by grega94; 09-06-2018 at 12:06 PM..

Old 09-07-2018, 10:30 AM

2,578 posts, read 2,068,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
I love roundabouts, wish there were more of them, don't understand why some hate them so much, they are very simple to maneuver through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-olqiG42Ud4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFBuwIV4isg
Agreed. I used them daily - single-lane and double-lane ones - as they are increasingly in number in the Twin Cities. No more back ups at busy intersections, fewer accidents and close calls.

Frankly, if navigating a roundabout is an issue, it is time to quit driving yourself around. It is incredibly simple.

Old 09-13-2018, 12:39 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,159,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
No, The red car must stay in it's lane unless signaling a turn, and then doing so without impeding the blue car if it is already in the roundabout. If the blue car is NOT already in the roundabout, then the red car can change lanes - signaling first.

Likewise, if the red car is in the inner lane, the blue car can enter the roundabout in the outer lane without stopping or yielding.The blue car must wait until the red car is clear of both lanes before entering. To me this is the most difficult part and the part that is critical if (since) there is no lane changing permitted.

The key that most people miss and mis-understand is that all cars must be in the proper lane when entering the roundabout for the direction they want to exit. You should not enter the inner lane - from the inner lane approach - when you want to immediately exit the roundabout at the next exit.
Apparently, I have gotten away with some slightly bad stuff... The text in red above seems to be errant in some (most, all?) states. The green is new (correction) text. All cars must stay in their lane and there should be no lane changing! The other key that makes this work is slow speed and absolutely no passing.

There. This correction should make this as clear as most roundabouts now! For me, the confusion is that some multi-lane roundabouts have dashed lines between the left and right lanes in all four quadrants and that makes it looks like you can indeed change lanes. Maybe it is that way in some states, but I am not sure.

Best you all consult the local highway department.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 09-13-2018 at 12:52 PM..

Old 09-14-2018, 08:12 PM

9,502 posts, read 4,336,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Ok.. So.. This image.

Keep the blue and red cars coming from the bottom, the red car at the bottom goes right..

Now.. Say that there is a blue car that enters from the top (outside lane) and is driving slower than the red.. Whatever.. the red car catches up to them and is going to the left(From his original perspective), but the blue car that enters from the top is going straight through.

What am I missing here? There HAS to be something more to this that I'm not catching here, because this seems to be designed to cause carnage.

Is the blue car entering from the top, even though they are in the outside lane, supposed to wait until all traffic in all lanes is clear before entering?

this would make sense, and the road markings seem to indicate that the right lane MUST turn right.. But allowing that lane to go straight.. I don't see how this works.

That scenario would cause absolute chaos in my area. People around here can't even figure out single lane traffic circles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive