Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 05:47 PM

6,735 posts, read 4,418,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkit View Post
Sort of a thread hijack, but my question is related to the topic.

Does the general advice given here post mean I should NOT buy a new 2018 Honda Odyssey (new 5th generation with new 9-speed SBW transmission) or new 2017 or 2018 Toyota Sienna (still 3rd generation, but all new problematic 8-speed transmission)??

I don't want to buy used though, and I want an Odyssey or Sienna. Am I stuck until 2019 without a car?? I need a new car since my current Sienna is beyond repair.

There are lots of reviews on both of these vehicles. Purchase what you like. Ford already had a recall on the 2018 Mustang 10 spd automatic transmission, but it was a software problem. Not a fan of these multi, multi speed automatics. In some situation, the trans will be constantly searching for the right gear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 05:57 PM

292 posts, read 428,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
There are lots of reviews on both of these vehicles. Purchase what you like. Ford already had a recall on the 2018 Mustang 10 spd automatic transmission, but it was a software problem. Not a fan of these multi, multi speed automatics. In some situation, the trans will be constantly searching for the right gear.
That's what I heard too. I don't know why they fixed something that didn't need fixing.

Old 03-01-2018, 04:34 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,946,692 times
Quote:
Sort of a thread hijack, but my question is related to the topic.

Does the general advice given here post mean I should NOT buy a new 2018 Honda Odyssey (new 5th generation with new 9-speed SBW transmission) or new 2017 or 2018 Toyota Sienna (still 3rd generation, but all new problematic 8-speed transmission)??

I don't want to buy used though, and I want an Odyssey or Sienna. Am I stuck until 2019 without a car?? I need a new car since my current Sienna is beyond repair.
Even Honda’s old transmission was terrible Honda Odyssey Transmission Problems
Get whatever you want. If there’s a problem, they’ll send out a recall and you’ll get a loaner car while they fix it. By the time the warranty runs out, all the bugs will be fixed. If it’s still acting up, dump it and get another one right before the warranty runs out.

Old 03-01-2018, 04:37 AM

Quote:
That's what I heard too. I don't know why they fixed something that didn't need fixing.
Before they worked out all the bugs on 8 and 9 speeds they started jumping to 10 speeds all looking to save half an mpg. Just use a CVT and be done with it.

Old 03-01-2018, 06:59 AM

292 posts, read 428,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Before they worked out all the bugs on 8 and 9 speeds they started jumping to 10 speeds all looking to save half an mpg. Just use a CVT and be done with it.
I will! Except the Nissan CVT transmissions are horrible, and have been since 2002. Nissan has not bothered to fix the problem. I will never buy a Nissan.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:24 AM

Quote:
I will! Except the Nissan CVT transmissions are horrible, and have been since 2002. Nissan has not bothered to fix the problem. I will never buy a Nissan.
I personally don’t like CVT’s at all, but the trend of transmissions seems to be that we’ll eventually see so many gears that a CVT would be a far simplier solution.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:59 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
Sometimes there is an advantage in buying the first model year - depending on foreign exchange currency values many foreign manufacturers actively “decontent” vehicles after the first model year to keep the price consistent. This would apply to new or used.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:33 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,411,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
I was in the car manufacturing business for almost 30 years. It is true that there was a time when first year models had a large number of concerns. Thanks to computer technology that is no longer the case. Of course, there are duds that come along with any new model, but the overwhelming % of new models are as reliable as anything out there. You have to remember that cars are assembled to very close tolerances today. What used to be acceptable 5 years ago just won’t get it today, never mind the way it used to be 25 years ago.

Engine manufacturing tolerances are now measured in tiny microns, thus ensuring better fit and longer lasting components. Even assembly of the actual car body is light years ahead of how it used to be because computers can simulate assembly and snuff out problems before the vehicle ever gets to the production floor. All of this, plus a lot of auto manufacturers no longer shut down to retool for a new model. This used to take three months during which time any number of things would be missed, engineers incorrectly, or whatever all leasing to a poorly produced new model vehicle. Manufacturers have learned Honda’s secret new model change, which means as the last car of the preceding model year rolls down the line, the first car of the new model is right behind it.

As to your comment about parts that fail being fixed to be used at a later date, no way is that true. Every auto manufacturer is scared to death of incurring the cost of a recall for defective parts and they will scrap defective parts rather than fix them. Unless of course the fix brings the part back to the original level of safety, which rarely happens. Think about it, is it cheaper to pay for the labor to fix a part and risk failure, or use a new part that meets the specifications?
I am not reading past page 1 because you know more about this than any of us do. Thanks for the info.

Old 03-01-2018, 01:32 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,419,493 times
Quote:
I have a 2015 Nissan Sentra never had a problem with the cat transmission. People get me just because a certain car manufacturer had a problem Lon time age people still think the same problem exist today, I guess we have allot of automotive powertrain engineers on here and know what they are talking about.

Old 03-01-2018, 05:17 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
Quote:
If you can find one with a manual transmission...almost never have problems with those. You will use up a clutch eventually, but that's a fairly standard job most shops can do on budget and on time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive