Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 04:52 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,153,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Sure. It means you're a liar.
Prove it. And, no, nothing in that post you quoted serves as proof. It doesn't matter how many times you call me a liar - there is no magic number of attempts that will make it so.

Let me give you a hint: that Fortune 100 company is in the automotive industry. It makes cars. Lots of cars. Pretty, pretty cars. Sometimes trucks, too. Big, honkin' trucks.

Last edited by highlanderfil; 01-13-2017 at 05:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 05:35 PM

604 posts, read 652,810 times
Quote:
I wouldn't include the big Japanese companies in that description. Their bread and butter cars are bland and boring, but as a company, they are capable of innovation and being leaders in a particular market segment if they want to. Look at Toyota with their Supra or the Lexus LFA, or Nissan with their GTR, or Honda with their NSX. It's kind of funny... American, German, and Italian companies you could say base their brand image around their "halo" car... Corvette for Chevy, Viper/Hellcat for Chrysler, AMG for Mercedes, etc... while for the Japanese companies, it's the other way around it seems. Their every day cars are what they want to showcase.

That being said, all the Chinese auto companies (and to a lesser extent Kia) are still engaged in ripping off the designs of other automakers rather than come up with their own.
I agree there are exceptions with some nice cars made by some of the Japanese companies, this is why I said most.
However when it comes to true performance innovation, all of them are still coming from behind - which is normal given how many more years of engineering experience Europeans have ahead of them.

This engineering experience and know how is the reason for the big difference on the driving feel (for people who love driving).

Old 01-13-2017, 05:54 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,235,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Prove it.
Wow, the stupid sure is strong in you, isn't it? You've got an MBA from a second rate school and your entire career is in marketing. Yes, I can see how you might have gotten that confused with automotive design. Both careers have letters in them... they share an "A", an "E" and even a "T"!

Quote:
Moreover, if you actually bothered to read any of my posts...
Don't worry, I wouldn't dream of making THAT mistake again!

Old 01-13-2017, 06:12 PM

6,541 posts, read 7,124,380 times
Quote:
Prove it. And, no, nothing in that post you quoted serves as proof. It doesn't matter how many times you call me a liar - there is no magic number of attempts that will make it so.

Let me give you a hint: that Fortune 100 company is in the automotive industry. It makes cars. Lots of cars. Pretty, pretty cars. Sometimes trucks, too. Big, honkin' trucks.
The only automotive company that makes pretty cars and big trucks is Mercedes with G63 6X6 and G500 4X4, semi's... but I didn't see them listed on the Fortune 100 list.

Old 01-13-2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Check this out! It falls into my plan to open tons of restaurants called Taco Juan's which each one will be across the street from my competitor Taco John's

Chinese Porsche Macan knockoff is worse than we thought
Ouch.

The sad thing is, a company like Porsche or Mercedes could sue these companies for copyright/patent infringement... but they won't. If they did that, they'd probably end up being shut out of doing business in China, which is key to future growth as China's wealth and middle class become larger, and since China won't crack down on any companies in any industry making knock-offs, there would be no point to it.

... And I think your restaurant name actually makes more sense.

Old 01-13-2017, 06:52 PM

Quote:
The only automotive company that makes pretty cars and big trucks is Mercedes with G63 6X6 and G500 4X4, semi's... but I didn't see them listed on the Fortune 100 list.
He works for Ford for their marketing department. I guess they're in a serious revenue decline, having to cut loose their design teams and making the marketing guys take over vehicle design.

Old 01-13-2017, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Wow, the stupid sure is strong in you, isn't it? You've got an MBA from a second rate school and your entire career is in marketing. Yes, I can see how you might have gotten that confused with automotive design. Both careers have letters in them... they share an "A", an "E" and even a "T"!
Did I, at any point in time, claim to be working in automotive design? I claimed to have knowledge of it, which, yes, by virtue of being employed by an auto OEM in marketing I do.

Also, second-rate school? You're funny. Luckily I'm actually secure enough in my education, career and opinions that I don't need to prove anything to an online troll. Good day, sir.

Old 01-13-2017, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Eh, depends on how you define pretty and big, I guess. Some would say the RAM Rebel and the Raptor are plenty stonkin' big and the Mustang and Camaro are pretty enough. And yet some others wouldn't. And that's OK.

Old 01-13-2017, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Ouch.

The sad thing is, a company like Porsche or Mercedes could sue these companies for copyright/patent infringement... but they won't.
I wish I could resist, but I should have probably asked from the very beginning: what law school did you go to that you're so certain of this?
Quote:
He works for Ford for their marketing department. I guess they're in a serious revenue decline, having to cut loose their design teams and making the marketing guys take over vehicle design.
Nah, we're good. I wouldn't know CAD if you hit me over the head with a designer's laptop (actually, I wouldn't know much of anything if you did that - those things are HEAVY). Luckily I don't claim to, no matter what you infer from my posts. But you keep on keepin' on. If by trying to put me down you somehow elevate your own existence, it's no sweat off my back.

Old 01-13-2017, 10:35 PM

9,976 posts, read 5,673,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Korean cars just don't have a really good genre or market definition car. They don't have any major Motorsport presence. Autosport sells a lot of creds to a nameplate.
Hyundai has been quite active in WRC rally for what, 15 years now? Kia has been campaigning a Forte Koupe in the Pirelli World Challenge for 6 years. They're getting there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I see that Subaru Impreza 2017 just won the Japanese car of the year award. When was the last time a Korean car maker won an American or foreign car of the year award?
The Optima won the ICOTY award and the Sorrento won the International SUV of the Year award at the 2015 LA Auto Show. The K900 won ICOTY at the 2014 show.

The Elantra won NACOTY in 2012 and was named to Wards 10 Best in 2016.

The Tuscon was named best value in the CUV segment by U.S. News, won Motorweek's Drivers Choice in the small SUV segment, and won J.D. Power's Appeal Award in the small SUV segment in 2016.

The Genesis and Santa Fe were named Consumer Guide automotive best buys in 2016.

The Sonata won KBB's Best Family Car award in 2016 and was on C&D's 10Best list in 2011.

The Hyundai brand was KBB's 5-year Cost to Own overall award winner in 2016.

The Stinger just won the EyesOn Design award for production car design excellence at the NAIAS.

The 2017 Sportage just won the Cars.com award for best new compact SUV.

The Soul just made C&D's 10Best trucks & SUVs list and Consumer Guide's Best Buy list.

The Kia line won JD Power's IQS top nameplate award in 2016.

The Optima won KBB's Best Buy award for mid-size cars in 2015.

etc....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive