Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2023, 10:56 AM

9,904 posts, read 7,252,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Funny, I actually think even the G70 is too long, after living with one for a couple of days. It's weird - it feels like a bit of a four-door muscle car, with a long hood and a pushed-back greenhouse. Still fun as hell to drive, though.It should have been a variant of the G70, if anything, so as not to cause brand and nameplate confusion, but we go back to the point I made in the previous post, about there not being enough appetite in the market for the body style. There was no way to have both. It wouldn't have worked instead of the G80. Making it a G75 would have overcrowded the showroom to a point average Joe Customer wouldn't know the difference between them. Too much potential internal cannibalization to work.

Again, I don't even know that Kia considers the Stinger to have been a failure. If nothing else, it introduced the public to the idea of a rear-drive full-size (medium-size, whatever you want to call it - you know what I mean, not a Sonata) Korean sedan, which just might have legitimized Genesis in a way the K9/900 couldn't.
The G70 is aimed squarely at the 3/A4/C with it's RWD configuration. The podcasts I listen to love the G70 and recommend the Stinger for anyone looking for more room and utility.

Yes, liftbacks are a tough sell but I like as well as wagons. The A5 Sportback seems to be doing okay and I like both the 4 series Gran Coupe and the Arteon. For my job, a hatch works best and I'm the guy with a 3 series GT hatch which went away with the latest 3 series.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2023, 11:42 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,179,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
The G70 is aimed squarely at the 3/A4/C with it's RWD configuration. The podcasts I listen to love the G70 and recommend the Stinger for anyone looking for more room and utility.
The G70, just like the other cars you mentioned, also comes in AWD, so the RWD bit isn't really the selling point here, it's the badge. The extra few inches may make a difference, but nobody is cross-shopping the Stinger with an Audi.
Quote:
Yes, liftbacks are a tough sell but I like as well as wagons. The A5 Sportback seems to be doing okay and I like both the 4 series Gran Coupe and the Arteon. For my job, a hatch works best and I'm the guy with a 3 series GT hatch which went away with the latest 3 series.
Yeah, I like them, too. Problem is, there's not enough of us out there. The A5 does well because it's an Audi. The Gran Coupe and Arteon aren't liftbacks. A Korean luxury liftback is probably too much of a niche vehicle to be successful, otherwise I'm pretty sure Hyundai/Kia would have tried it already.

Old 07-05-2023, 03:14 PM

Quote:
The G70, just like the other cars you mentioned, also comes in AWD, so the RWD bit isn't really the selling point here, it's the badge. The extra few inches may make a difference, but nobody is cross-shopping the Stinger with an Audi.
It's RWD biased with AWD.

On the enthusiast sites, there was plenty of people cross shopping them. The A5 is a better option especially in S5/RS5 guise but the cost jumps dramatically. The A5 also has better touch points for the dash strokers and those who feel German cars exude soul. But the Stinger was a bargain in comparison.

Quote:
Yeah, I like them, too. Problem is, there's not enough of us out there. The A5 does well because it's an Audi. The Gran Coupe and Arteon aren't liftbacks. A Korean luxury liftback is probably too much of a niche vehicle to be successful, otherwise I'm pretty sure Hyundai/Kia would have tried it already.
Both the 4 series Gran Coupe and Arteon are liftbacks:

https://www.bmwblog.com/2021/11/09/2.../#lg=1&slide=5

https://cdn-fastly.thetruthaboutcars...0x845&nocrop=1

Old 07-05-2023, 10:03 PM

Quote:
It's RWD biased with AWD.
I know. Interestingly, the A4/5 are FWD-biased, so one could argue not a direct competitor (unlike BMW/Merc).
Quote:
On the enthusiast sites, there was plenty of people cross shopping them.
Anecdotal evidence isn't data. Enthusiasts represent, at best, 10% of the car-buying public. Building "regular cars" to their tastes is an exercise doomed to failure.
Quote:
Both the 4 series Gran Coupe and Arteon are liftbacks
I stand corrected.

Old 07-06-2023, 06:40 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,603,481 times
I actually saw a Stinger on the streets here in Central Florida a couple of days ago. My very first one, and most likely my last. Just another cheap knock off, like that "Rollex" watch my brother in law bought in the Bahamas a few years ago. (But to be fair, he was totally drunk and the young lady he bought it from had certain charms..)

Old 07-06-2023, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
Just another cheap knock off
...of what?

Old 07-06-2023, 08:49 AM

I think I've managed to figure out what my personal issue with the Stinger is. Much like the G70, it's too cab-backward, but whereas the G70 is a "traditional" 3-box sedan and the trunk manages to smooth its shape out, on the Stinger the hump of the hatchback and the long rear overhang make the car look bulky and awkward.

Old 07-06-2023, 08:52 AM

Speaking of sales successes or failures. Make of these what you will.

Kia Stinger annual sales (highest: 18K in the second year of existence, 2018)
Audi A5 annual sales (highest: 25K in the same 2018, but I assume this includes both the coupe and the sportback)

Old 07-06-2023, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Speaking of sales successes or failures. Make of these what you will.

Kia Stinger annual sales (highest: 18K in the second year of existence, 2018)
Audi A5 annual sales (highest: 25K in the same 2018, but I assume this includes both the coupe and the sportback)
The A5 numbers include the cabriolet as well.

Old 07-06-2023, 11:28 AM

Quote:
The A5 numbers include the cabriolet as well.
Right. And they're still barely above the Stinger's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive