Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 03:06 PM

473 posts, read 548,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
If Kia really wants to compete with luxury car brands, they should probably start at their own logo. What a boring, bland emblem. ....

How about a name other than "K.I.A."? lol

Do I really want to drive in a really fast car with that name?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 03:09 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,164,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiepoke View Post
How about a name other than "K.I.A."? lol

Do I really want to drive in a really fast car with that name?
Why do you care what it's called if it goes "really fast"?

Old 01-13-2017, 03:21 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times
Korean cars just don't have a really good genre or market definition car. They don't have any major Motorsport presence. Autosport sells a lot of creds to a nameplate.

I see that Subaru Impreza 2017 just won the Japanese car of the year award. When was the last time a Korean car maker won an American or foreign car of the year award?

Old 01-13-2017, 03:29 PM

604 posts, read 653,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
You obviously don't know much about automotive design.

Kia has blatantly ripped off Mercedes design for years. Mercedes used to be known for their "double oval" headlights on their E and C classes, take a look at the Kia Amanti.

Mercedes

Kia

This extends to interiors as well. Kia has copied them so much that Mercedes has completely changed the styling of their cars several times to differentiate them. Now go take your uneducated opinion elsewhere.
This is the problem with most Asian made cars, are as unimaginative and bland as it gets.

Even when they manage to copy part of the German car looks (both outside and inside) are far away from producing the engineering (powertrain, suspensions, brakes, handling, etc) which took over 100 years to develop.

Old 01-13-2017, 03:48 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,244,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
While luxury goods companies do care about knockoffs, they don't care nearly as much as you think they do. Furthermore, despite all your wild allegations, Kia is not, in fact, a knockoff company and no, Mercedes really doesn't care if Kia is copying any of their designs - and not just because imitation is the most sincere form of flattery, but because Mercedes does not compete with Kia, is not afraid of Kia stealing sales from it and generally prefers to innovate rather than block others from adopting its inventions.
Ah. So here your ignorance comes full circle. First you say that Kia is not copying Mercedes, and now you've changed your tune to say that Mercedes doesn't care that Kia is copying its designs.

After your vaunted automotive knowledge got exposed for the lie that it was, a smart person would have probably just licked their wounds and shut up.

Wow, boy this post was sure insightful! Mercedes doesn't compete with Kia? You're a fricking genius! That has nothing to do with whether Kia is copying their designs or not. THEY ARE, and now you admit it. Kia is only one step up from the likes of a Chinese company like BYD. (Surely someone as knowledgeable as you about the automotive industry knows who they are.)

Old 01-13-2017, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
So you've stalked my posts but didn't bother going far enough to learn exactly whatmeans?

Sure. It means you're a liar.

Old 01-13-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28079 View Post
This is the problem with most Asian made cars, are as unimaginative and bland as it gets.

Even when they manage to copy part of the German car looks (both outside and inside) are far away from producing the engineering (powertrain, suspensions, brakes, handling, etc) which took over 100 years to develop.
I wouldn't include the big Japanese companies in that description. Their bread and butter cars are bland and boring, but as a company, they are capable of innovation and being leaders in a particular market segment if they want to. Look at Toyota with their Supra or the Lexus LFA, or Nissan with their GTR, or Honda with their NSX. It's kind of funny... American, German, and Italian companies you could say base their brand image around their "halo" car... Corvette for Chevy, Viper/Hellcat for Chrysler, AMG for Mercedes, etc... while for the Japanese companies, it's the other way around it seems. Their every day cars are what they want to showcase.

That being said, all the Chinese auto companies (and to a lesser extent Kia) are still engaged in ripping off the designs of other automakers rather than come up with their own.

Old 01-13-2017, 04:05 PM

6,564 posts, read 7,145,772 times
Quote:
I wouldn't include the big Japanese companies in that description. Their bread and butter cars are bland and boring, but as a company, they are capable of innovation and being leaders in a particular market segment if they want to. Look at Toyota with their Supra or the Lexus LFA, or Nissan with their GTR, or Honda with their NSX. It's kind of funny... American, German, and Italian companies you could say base their brand image around their "halo" car... Corvette for Chevy, Viper/Hellcat for Chrysler, AMG for Mercedes, etc... while for the Japanese companies, it's the other way around it seems. Their every day cars are what they want to showcase.

That being said, all the Chinese auto companies (and to a lesser extent Kia) are still engaged in ripping off the designs of other automakers rather than come up with their own.
Check this out! It falls into my plan to open tons of restaurants called Taco Juan's which each one will be across the street from my competitor Taco John's

Chinese Porsche Macan knockoff is worse than we thought

Old 01-13-2017, 04:41 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,998,238 times
Ya. KIA needs a "halo" car.

Studebaker needed a halo car back in the early 1960's. The Studebaker Avanti. The cost of that halo car was bankruptcy. Enough said.

But, KIA already went bankrupt in 1997. So maybe that is moot.

KIA needs a halo car just as Studebaker needed a halo car.

And this is it.

Old 01-13-2017, 04:51 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,164,638 times
Quote:
Ah. So here your ignorance comes full circle. First you say that Kia is not copying Mercedes, and now you've changed your tune to say that Mercedes doesn't care that Kia is copying its designs.
Boy, reading comprehension sure isn't a strong suit of yours, is it? I never said Mercedes doesn't care that Kia is copying its designs. I'm saying Mercedes doesn't care if Kia is copying its designs. Moreover, if you actually bothered to read any of my posts, you'd see that I didn't claim, in a single one, that Kia is not copying Mercedes: I never offered an opinion on the matter one way or another because it's irrelevant. Mercedes does not solely own any design element you are accusing Kia of copying. Not even your precious double pairs of headlights. I understand it's a fine distinction for you to process, but do give it a shot.
Quote:
After your vaunted automotive knowledge got exposed for the lie that it was, a smart person would have probably just licked their wounds and shut up.
Exactly how was it exposed? By you digging up a post that did nothing of the kind?
Quote:
Wow, boy this post was sure insightful! Mercedes doesn't compete with Kia? You're a fricking genius! That has nothing to do with whether Kia is copying their designs or not. THEY ARE, and now you admit it. Kia is only one step up from the likes of a Chinese company like BYD. (Surely someone as knowledgeable as you about the automotive industry knows who they are.)
I am well aware of the Chinese auto industry and the knockoffs they produce. Kia is light years ahead of them.

Now riddle me this: why would a company make a significant investment in modifying its products in order to protect itself from a company it doesn't compete with?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive