Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 07:08 PM

69 posts, read 121,973 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about getting a used 2014/2015 Touareg or XC60, to replace my outback, because people say they are "safe" cars. I assume they will cost more to maintain, and VW's reliability is doubtful... Maybe I should get another new subaru? What do you guys think? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 07:27 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,925,548 times
I would run from a used Touareg, I have heard nothing but problems from the couple of people I know personally that own them. I know that is not a representative sample, but a quick search on the internet reveals equally poor reliability ratings. Also I can't imagine they would be any safer than a Subaru Outback, Subarus are particularly known for their stout and safe cars.

I don't know as much about the XC60, I personally like them but the friends that have owned them just lease them and just upgraded to an XC90 (which is a beautiful, safe car that seems to be experiencing more than a few, leave you stranded teething problems itself), so, it seems they weren't that impressed. It would be unlikely that a Volvo would be as reliable or even safer than a comparable Subaru as well.

I am admittedly a Subaru Fanboy, (we have two, but older 15 and 10 y.o.) unfortunately the Subaru Outback is just on the cusp of being completely redesigned on the new, super stiff, even safer and likely way better handling chassis of the new global architecture that they just introduced this year in the Impreza, probably within the year. So, it's a bit of a wait or go with the good enough current generation.

Other vehicles I would consider would include the Mazda CX-9, or even the Kia Sorrento.

Old 01-10-2017, 04:46 AM

1,906 posts, read 2,044,997 times
I would not get a Touareg.....and I like VWs.

I would go with the XC60

Both are nicer than the Outback, I doubt that either are "safer" than the outback.

There is nothing wrong with VWs reliability. They make some great cars, the Touareg thogh is not one of them.

Have you looked at the Lexus RX? Very close to your price range and a highly rated used car purchase.

Old 01-10-2017, 05:25 AM

24,573 posts, read 18,341,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
I would not get a Touareg.....and I like VWs.

I would go with the XC60

Both are nicer than the Outback, I doubt that either are "safer" than the outback.

There is nothing wrong with VWs reliability. They make some great cars, the Touareg thogh is not one of them.

Have you looked at the Lexus RX? Very close to your price range and a highly rated used car purchase.
The Touareg is a good car, it's just not a reliable car you'd want to own off warranty.

I've owned two VW GTIs. A 2001 and a 2007. They were fine and held up mechanically. My girlfriend owns a Volvo S80 she bought used after it had depreciated like a stone. Used, that is a good car. New, not so much. I have a 6-cylinder 2015 Outback with the Eyesight/Pushbutton/Sunroof/NAV option package. It's not entry luxury like a Volvo but it has a VW-level interior and it's a good highway cruiser with a smooth ride and acceptable wind/road noise. KBB says my 2015 is worth $28K plus or minus $1K as a dealer trade. I paid $34.5K for it. I wouldn't buy a 2 year old Outback used. They don't depreciate enough. I'd buy a new one before buying a 2 year old one. An XC60 will have depreciated enough to be a much better overall value.

Outbacks are really boring and they're barge-like cornering unless you install a beefier sway bar. The advantage is you can get their Eyesight adaptive cruise control and that's a must-have once you have used it. Other than that, I think a lightly used XC60 at a good price is more compelling than a new 6-cylinder Outback assuming you're fine with the slightly smaller car.

The sweet spot for the Outback is 4 cylinder Premium trim level with Eyesight adaptive cruise control as the only add-on. It's $10K cheaper than my 6-cylinder with all the options. It's a bit under powered but it otherwise is just fine. It's pretty easy to buy an Outback for a couple percent under invoice in many regions. A $25K 4-cylinder Outback is a bargain compared to a 2 year old XC60. It's a lot of money to step up to an entry lux 2 year old Volvo.

Old 01-10-2017, 05:44 AM

Thanks everybody for sharing your stories. Seems that Touareg should be off the list. Don't get me wrong, I love my outback, and it is a great family hauler and quite reliable. If I have to replace the outback, I just want something a little taller, heavier with the same high safety scores. By the way, did the reviews say that VW has improved their reliability quite a bit over the last 3-5 years?

No offense to anyone loves Lexus, I just can't take the way the new ones look...

Old 01-10-2017, 06:39 AM

24,573 posts, read 18,341,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterzlf View Post
By the way, did the reviews say that VW has improved their reliability quite a bit over the last 3-5 years?
It depends on which car. Touareg? No. Most of the MQB platform cars are OK.

Old 01-10-2017, 08:59 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,363,689 times
Like you said OP IMO woud just go with another subaru since the cost to matian them are less and they have less reilbilty issues which when living in condtions here snow and ice are major factor would rather have the Subaru Legcay or Outback.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:37 AM

How about Edge or the new 2018 Equinox, which looks sharp Considering reliability, Ford or Chev? Thanks.

Old 01-10-2017, 11:40 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,891,622 times
My uncle the indie auto repair shop guy loves Ford SUVs enough to tell people he cares about to never buy them. I think Escapes alone keep him in greens fees and trips to bowling nationals in Nevada every year.

The Outback is one of those swiss army knife-like vehicles that does a number of things very well if you're looking for a reasonably-priced safe and comfortable daily driver you can use on moderately gnarly logging trails on the weekend. If will not meet all needs for all people, but if its strengths and your wants line up, it's a category-killer.

Old 01-10-2017, 01:00 PM

1,062 posts, read 984,791 times
Why a heavier car?

The XC60 is beautiful and a great vehicle. The ground clearance is great for a crossover. I think it has more than a TJ Wrangler or XJ Cherokee. Volvos have excellent ergonomics, very nice seats, and are a step ahead on safety features
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive