Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 01:40 PM

410 posts, read 588,483 times

Advertisements

I've had my XC60 for five years and still love it. I will probably get another one when the time comes. Beautiful car and fun to drive.I like the way my XC60 handles in rain and snow. It's peppy on hills and easy to control if I need to stop quickly. I really appreciate how quickly it warms or cools when I start it.

My sister has her second Outback. She was hit by a truck on the highway and her Outback rolled over twice before hitting the concrete median. She walked away with only a shoulder strain from the seatbelt. She bought another Outback without hesitation.

Sounds picky but the Outback seems to take awhile for the AC to kick in. The Outback seems a little bit sluggish on steep hills. It's absolutely a heavier car than the Volvo and feels that way when I've driven it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2017, 01:40 PM
46H

1,656 posts, read 1,408,390 times
The Touareg is an overbuilt tank and is a much sturdier vehicle than the Outback. The Touareg has an 8 speed automatic trans vs the CVT in the Outback. It is much quieter and has a nicer ride. They will cost more to operate than the Outback. I have a 2014 Touareg and the reliability has been fine with no issues. I did buy an extended warranty. We are completely happy with ours. This might be a good time to get a deal on a used Touareg because of the TDI mess.

Old 01-10-2017, 03:03 PM

649 posts, read 819,161 times
I have owned a 240, xc70, c70, wrx wagon and a 6 cylinder modern outback. I would take the volvo all day every day until it's bumper to bumper warranty is up and then I would run. The Volvo CPO program is an awesome value, unlike Subaru's. It extends the bumper to bumper for a number of years, so that is the way I would go if you can find one.

Old 01-10-2017, 06:12 PM

69 posts, read 121,973 times
Again, thanks everyone for chip in. Touareg IS an over built tank, and the CPO program is only for 2 years/24K miles. Also won't be able to afford spending $2k in the auto shop every year and $150 oil change once a while...

Just found this: https://www.carmax.com/car/14082401
What do you guys think?

Old 01-10-2017, 06:53 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,572,424 times
I've owned 3 VW's in a row over the past 8 years, all GTI's. I've spent $0 out of pocket for repairs. Last two were new, first was used CPO with 40k on the clock. Only car I've bought back to back to back. I came over from a Lexus GS430. Are they perfect? No. But neither is Lexus and their "most reliable" ratings. I spent big money repairing worn out/torn suspension bushings on my two Lexus vehicles because warranty wouldn't cover. VW has never denied me on anything, no matter what. No car is perfect. But I wouldn't let stories from others over VW frighten you away. Yes, VW had some notable issues in the past. But I don't think that's the case anymore. And they absolutely stand behind their warranties. The Touareg is essentially the Porsche Cayanne, which has been rated near the top of reliability ratings from all over the automotive world for many years, especially over the past 5 with their latest model (which is the model of Toureg you mentioned). Personally speaking, I'm likely to replace my current 2015 GTI for a Touareg this year myself, simply because I'm growing tired of driving a small car.

Had a Volvo XC90 once with the V8. Top of the line (2008). Bought it CPO in 2011. Absolutely worst vehicle I have ever owned. Even the seats throughout had to be replaced because the leather basically peeled off (same happened to my neighbor's 2013 he bought new). It rattled. It started to ride very harshly over bumps. Plastic everywhere that creaked when cold. Stereo hardly worked. Last straw was when I reached down to move the seat back from my wife's position (memory buttons didn't work) and the entire switch assembly broke off. Replaced it with a Toyota Highlander in 2013, and haven't looked back. Every loaner I had from Volvo, had a transmission that felt like it was slipping. I'll never buy another Volvo again. Mine was the V8 (basically two Yahmaha mortorcyle engines married together). It had some power. I drove the V6 too (neighbor). That engine simply isn't strong enough for their cars (also in every loaner sedan I had). I used to joke that our XC was so safe, because it never left the driveway because we hated it. Sure, you can hit an aircraft carrier in a Volvo, but so can you in a Toureg too.

Toureg is less low end VW and more high end Porsche, which are great cars. And very enjoyable and rewarding to drive and be in for both.

Old 01-10-2017, 06:59 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,572,424 times
PS: I live in DC and have friends who work for VW corporate at their North American HQ outpost in the VA suburbs. They all get HUGE discounts to own a VW product (remember they own Audi and Porsche too). Depending on your job title, some even get free cars to drive every year as a job perk. Guess which car they all want the most? The Toureg.

Old 01-10-2017, 07:07 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,711,086 times
If you want safety, resale value, and reliability, what you're driving now has the edge. Should you get another? I don't know, but if those were my 3 choices and my requirements were cost of ownership and safety, the Subaru would be my choice.

Source: Multiple Volvo, VWAG, and Subaru owner

Old 01-10-2017, 08:18 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,053,174 times
I bought a Touareg the first year introduced. Sold 12 months later So many problems, because of it I would never consider a VW product.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:34 PM

69 posts, read 121,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCguy81 View Post
I bought a Touareg the first year introduced. Sold 12 months later So many problems, because of it I would never consider a VW product.
That is true, but that was over a decade ago. Touareg was introduced in 2004?...

Old 01-11-2017, 01:22 PM

16,561 posts, read 19,761,655 times
Volvo owner so OBVIOUSLY going with that. lol

As this article so succinctly puts it: The safety hype is REAL.

https://www.cars.com/articles/2016-v...1420683002184/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive