Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 09:06 AM

3,380 posts, read 9,237,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
What annoys me is the outrageous cost of replacing a burned out headlight.
How much have you been paying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 09:10 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,420,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
What annoys me is the outrageous cost of replacing a burned out headlight.
Replacement bulbs for HID headlights are basically free on eBay- something like $10 per pair. Some claim that the quality isn't as good, but as compared to a couple hundred for OEM bulbs, it's worth rolling the dice. I had to replace an HID bulb in a prius I used to own and I literally paid $10. I replaced both just to be safe, and never had a problem with the replacement.

Old 09-18-2015, 11:52 AM

3,380 posts, read 9,237,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
Replacement bulbs for HID headlights are basically free on eBay- something like $10 per pair. Some claim that the quality isn't as good, but as compared to a couple hundred for OEM bulbs, it's worth rolling the dice. I had to replace an HID bulb in a prius I used to own and I literally paid $10. I replaced both just to be safe, and never had a problem with the replacement.

The best money can buy Osram Night Breakers or CBI by Osram are 180 for the pair. These will be much much better than what ever Toyota put in there.

If you want oem level you are looking at 100 for the pair.

I prefer not to roll the dice on my forward visibility

Old 09-18-2015, 12:41 PM

4,855 posts, read 5,853,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
I was thinking about this lately too. I am still driving an old 1997 Mustang and often feel like my headlights are OFF when surrounded by some of the newer lighting systems. When a vehicle with those high power HID lights gets behind me on a dark road, my headlight beam simply gets overwhelmed and ceases to exist. I even can see the shadow of my own car in front of me due to the zillion candlepower lights shining at me from behind. It's amazing how bright some of these headlights are getting.

And with tail lights, the newer Dodge models take the cake. The entire back end is lit. Looks cool, but I wonder if there is a point of diminishing returns to where the lighting is so busy that the brain starts to tune it out.
Actually HIDs only use about 35w, which is equal to, and less than many other halogen bulbs in power, especially perfermance halogens.

Old 09-18-2015, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs123 View Post
I know what you mean about color temp. I saw a pair of LED headlamps here that actually had a pink cast, and they were bright but not piercing. I'd really like to see more of those; I've only seen that once.

No doubt.

Wow--is that just at the holidays or all year round? It sounds hilarious but I can see how it could be a pain. I googled Christmas lights on vehicles--there are some wild photos on there!
The pink you saw was a result of the projector- not the bulb itself. The parabolic projector sometimes reveals bits of the color spectrum, bits of pink, or sky blue, or purple, depending on the bulhs output.

I ride a scooter, it's S2 bulbs get swallowed up in any headlight, anyway. I'm thinking of getting S2 halogen bulbs, or led bulbs. I was going to go hid, but I don't want to risk melting the housing.

Old 09-18-2015, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
NHTSA has had a safety standard for lamps, reflective devices and associated equipment since 1968. The purpose of the standard is to reduce traffic crashes and injuries resulting from traffic incidents, by providing adequate illumination of the roadway, and by enhancing the conspicuity of motor vehicles on public roads. Blame the federal govt. the automakers have to follow federal guidelines. They just can't do what they want on a whim. Everything the automakers do is tested out to meet federal requirements. So complain all you want the automakers are just following the law.
True, but hids, halogen projectors, and leds aren't required by law, drls are required, unblinding adjustment of headlights are required. Those who determin fqctory lighting have gotten more relaxed on the regulations, otherwise 5x7, 4x6, & 6/7" rounds would be- as it once was, thr only lights a vehicle could have, which at the time was one reason certain cars could not be imported, there were quite a few foriegn cars that did not have those as lighting, which brings wnother issue- e-code lighting; the reflectors in those are designed to passively aim the beams different than here, since most of the countries, the roads are opposite of ours, and are usually rhd. With our lighting aftermarket growing the past few years, there's little need to buy e-codes for sealed beam cars.

At the end of the day, I'm about performance, and that includes lighting.

Old 09-18-2015, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
They've even kind of dorked up the tailights on the Mustang, even though the Stang is still really a cool car. But this cute little 1,2,3 blink on the rear tailights is just stupid and not appropriate for a Mustang at all. Just have them blink ok? That's something grandma wants on her Cadillac DeVille, not a Mustang.
You might think it's stupid, but it isn't new. The sequencial tail lights were an option available, or factory on the 60's gt500 cobras, and an after market option since the 96, until ford started providing it as a factory option again in around 12, and now it's available on any 5.0 mustang, and probably any perfomance model, and exist as a factory option. It may not seem appropriate for the car, but from a historical standpoint- it very much is.

Old 09-18-2015, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
It is most likely the driver driving with their rear fog light on. Audi cars have had a rear fog light option for years.
As it is mandatory in europe to have them, many landrovers here in the states, from the 90s and 00s have them reconstituted as blinkers, or parking lights, or something.

Old 09-18-2015, 04:43 PM

1,456 posts, read 2,506,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
Actually HIDs only use about 35w, which is equal to, and less than many other halogen bulbs in power, especially perfermance halogens.
True, their efficiency (taking electrical power and turning it into light) is much higher, leading to much brighter lights. Also the light pattern is different due to projectors and cutoff patterns, leading to a much sharper beam. All this is assuming you have a true, DOT approved system.

If you are in a lifted truck and have just taken the stock halogen headlights and stuck a pair of 55W 12,000K HID aftermarkets in there then yep, you are going to blind everyone, and sadly, probably not even care.

Old 09-18-2015, 09:12 PM

25,898 posts, read 16,618,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
It is most likely the driver driving with their rear fog light on. Audi cars have had a rear fog light option for years.
What? So they don't get rear ended or something? Why drive with that on the freeway with no fog?

What a stupid option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive