Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 09:53 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,492,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
If they're in the left lane, they'd better be passing then, shouldn't they? It's the LAW, as it has been pointed out to you.
On a freeway yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 10:53 AM

293 posts, read 309,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Since I've been driving electric, all the rules about jackrabbit starts are simply not applicable. And I can regenerate electricicty when I come to a rapid stop later... So for me, the G forces and feeling of thrust from acceleration are fun and enjoyable and puttering along like a grandma is not.
That's great, but perhaps other people aren't into driving to feel G forces or thrust, and they don't have to care that you do. Also, when you say the rules about jackrabbit starts aren't applicable to electric cars, you're wrong. Electric cars still obey the same laws as every other car. Lastly, it's funny that you've trained yourself to rationalize rapid stops as acceptable simply because you have regenerative braking. It's like you found your paradise of poor driving with quick starts and stops just because you own an electric car.

That also happens with non-electric car drivers. I observe lots of people who drive cars with decent acceleration and they often use their cars to compensate for their poor driving habits. For example, I have driven behind someone for several lights and every time we were at a red light that turned green, they would not be paying attention. After maybe three seconds, they'd floor it and speed off. In their mind, they probably thought they were great drivers because they were leaving everyone else in the dust and therefore that meant that their late start was irrelevant.

Old 09-15-2014, 11:11 AM

451 posts, read 562,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i never speed up when someone tailgates me, in fact i have been known to slow way down gradually.

OP, dont change your driving style, just relax when driving, and let the idiots do what they do. just be prepared when the idiots act like idiots so you can avoid them.
Haha. I do the same thing. Well, I'll slow down to exactly the speed limit if I see someone riding my ass. If they continue to ride my ass I love to move my rear-view mirror all the way to a side so that I can no longer even see behind me. This drives people nuts as they can see that I am actively ignoring them!

As to the OP, keep doing what you're doing. Driving in SoCal can be so tense at times. Personally, and admittedly, I may drive more aggressive when I have to be somewhere quick. But I try to never tailgate and I don't slam on the gas from red light to red light. For the most part, LAs lights are synchronized for traffic so what's the point? Usually some young mutt trying to show the whole world that his car is "fast".

Old 09-15-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latino_esq View Post
I love to move my rear-view mirror all the way to a side
I do that when someone rides up on me with halogen lights at night. They're not "high beaming" me, it's just their lights are obnoxiously bright. It's to the point of being retarded because my entire car is lit up. Like, I could read a book off their headlights and I'm not exaggerating. I'll move my rear-view and side-view mirrors away and just ignore the rest of the flooded light in my car.

Sometimes at night, if someone thinks you're driving too slowly, they'll move their car to the left so their headlight can shine in your side-view mirror. I don't know if they think that's going to do anything, but I just move my side-view mirror so they can't do that and then slow down, which pisses them off. A lot. The best part is that I pretend that their headlights are blinding me (which is, after all, what they wanted to accomplish anyways) and I hold my hand way up to my eyes like I'm trying to shade them. They can see me do that, too, lol. Then I slow waaaaay down and keep acting like I can't see anything. It's pretty hilarious.

Old 09-15-2014, 12:46 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,830,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris V View Post
After reading all the posts. I need a drink.
ok, but remember no alcohol, you are driving later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
We have people in this thread admitting to intentionally slowing people down. Are you dumb or can you just not read? Looking at your arguments, I'm thinking the former.
i drive normally unless someone wants to tailgate me, even though there are plenty of opportunities to pass me with no issues, then i will slow way down. if they are stupid enough to stay behind me, even though they can easily pass me, then they are the ones being stupid. other than that i tend to drive the speed limit, + or - 5mph.

Old 09-15-2014, 01:03 PM

24,398 posts, read 23,053,611 times
This morning on the way home from work I approached a four way stop. Its always pretty busy and backed up with cars going every direction. I slowed to stop and noticed another car to my right approaching quickly. I was just a second earlier then he was at the intersection but I was going to wave him through not being in any hurry. He just slowed and rolled through and never stopped.
There's something about that housing development where the drivers are what I call "Jersey drivers". They run stop signs there constantly. Another grievance.. people who buck traffic and expect somebody to stop traffic and let them pull out when they could easily make a turn farther down the road and come back.

Old 09-15-2014, 01:18 PM

338 posts, read 421,135 times
Quote:
"You would be run off the road in the DC metro driving like that."
Or western Oregon. Not just PDX, though that's where the highest concentration of these types are.

And if they're not running you off the road, they're going 20 mi/h UNDER the speed limit in the left lane.

734 posts, read 1,081,797 times
I laugh at people who take off at a red light like they are at nascar, only to get stopped by another red light. LOL. These people are idiots. They probably get their licenses from the $5 bin at walmart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
This morning on the way home from work I approached a four way stop. Its always pretty busy and backed up with cars going every direction. I slowed to stop and noticed another car to my right approaching quickly. I was just a second earlier then he was at the intersection but I was going to wave him through not being in any hurry. He just slowed and rolled through and never stopped.
There's something about that housing development where the drivers are what I call "Jersey drivers". They run stop signs there constantly. Another grievance.. people who buck traffic and expect somebody to stop traffic and let them pull out when they could easily make a turn farther down the road and come back.
Lol, you should say that in the New Jersey forum, they'll all go bonkers. Another thing I've seen when driving in New Jersey is people there love to drive on shoulders. If you've never been in New Jersey, here's a "slick" move they have there. If there's a red light and a long line of people at it, they drive on the shoulder up to the front of the line, then accelerate hard at the green and cut in front of the first person.

Old 09-15-2014, 02:00 PM

21,835 posts, read 25,121,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
And if there is a line of cars backed up behind you at rush hour because you are "relaxed?" What then? Does it matter at all to you that you are blocking traffic? What is wrong with moving along with traffic at a reasonable rate?
For me, not one iota. They can sit there and stew all they want while I lackadaisically coast up to the line of stopped cars at the next light. I will accelerate with traffic if there's someone behind me and it's an open road ahead. Usually it's not, however, so I'll just take my time once I'm through the light so the light doesn't change behind me because it thinks there's no other cars since I left a huge gap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive