Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 08:40 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,130,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
I'm really fed up with driving these days. It's as if driving is some kind of race.

The way I drive is very relaxed driving style which allows me to get very good MPG from my car. I am very gentle on the throttle and I coast for the majority of anticipating what is ahead.

Seriously everyone here drives with such a high stress style of driving.

Not only am i easy on my engine, brakes, transmission etc I also get excellent MPG with my relaxed driving style.
So long as you don't do that in the fast lane, I have no problem with it. Or, if there's a huge tractor trailer next to you in one lane, and you aren't accelerating fast enough to pass him, you're doing it wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 08:55 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,601,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
So long as you don't do that in the fast lane, I have no problem with it. Or, if there's a huge tractor trailer next to you in one lane, and you aren't accelerating fast enough to pass him, you're doing it wrong.
You don't own the road so it doesn't matter what you think. It only matters what the law says.

There is no such thing as a "fast lane" it's called the left lane or passing lane. You are the exact person the OP is talking about. You think the left lane is the "fast lane" your personal lane to rip it up the road and it's absolutely not.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:58 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,184,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
You don't own the road so it doesn't matter what you think. It only matters what the law says.

There is no such thing as a "fast lane" it's called the left lane or passing lane. You are the exact person the OP is talking about. You think the left lane is the "fast lane" your personal lane to rip it up the road and it's absolutely not.
Left-Lane Passing Laws: A State-By-State Map

Old 09-15-2014, 09:02 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,848,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
I'm really fed up with driving these days. It's as if driving is some kind of race.

The way I drive is very relaxed driving style which allows me to get very good MPG from my car. I am very gentle on the throttle and I coast for the majority of anticipating what is ahead.

Seriously everyone here drives with such a high stress style of driving.

Not only am i easy on my engine, brakes, transmission etc I also get excellent MPG with my relaxed driving style.
Unfortunately intelligence is not a prerequisite in order to obtain a drivers license.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:05 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,601,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
You posted this to the wrong person I've been driving for 20 years now ticket free.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:06 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,130,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
There is no such thing as a "fast lane" it's called the left lane or passing lane.
If they're in the left lane, they'd better be passing then, shouldn't they? It's the LAW, as it has been pointed out to you.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:06 AM

3,380 posts, read 9,223,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperboyo View Post
I'll do that, too, depending on how obnoxious the tailgating is. For example, some people like to ride you so close that you basically can't even see the hood of their car in your rear window. If they do that, I just slow down to a ridiculous speed. If they don't get the hint, then they'll enjoy a nice 25 mph cruise for miles.
I used to go to war with tailgates and do what you do. Now, I just pull over and let them pass. It just isn't worth it.

Besides, I always figures it makes the tailgater get a little nervous when you pull over and then immediately get behind them.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:25 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,310,576 times
I like it when some impatient driver is in a hurry - tailgating me and there is a red light just ahead. I pull over, let them pass, then watch as they zoom up to the red light and then have to stop.

I wonder if these people realize what idiots they are? That they are getting poor gas mileage by driving that way?

(If you take your foot off the gas as soon as the light turns red up ahead, that saves gas.)

Old 09-15-2014, 09:31 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,316,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
I wonder if these people realize what idiots they are? That they are getting poor gas mileage by driving that way?
Maybe with cheap gas, they don't care about gas mileage? Maybe they could be driving a car that doesn't use gas at all? Since I've been driving electric, all the rules about jackrabbit starts are simply not applicable. And I can regenerate electricicty when I come to a rapid stop later... So for me, the G forces and feeling of thrust from acceleration are fun and enjoyable and puttering along like a grandma is not.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:46 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,310,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Maybe with cheap gas, they don't care about gas mileage? Maybe they could be driving a car that doesn't use gas at all? Since I've been driving electric, all the rules about jackrabbit starts are simply not applicable. And I can regenerate electricicty when I come to a rapid stop later... So for me, the G forces and feeling of thrust from acceleration are fun and enjoyable and puttering along like a grandma is not.
People who own those cars in my area tend to drive slower and more patiently - don't tailgate. Are responsible types. Have environmental bumper stickers, etc.

But true as for the mpg's in those cars!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive