Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 10:06 AM

584 posts, read 1,341,413 times

Advertisements

Have anyone owned either one of these ? Tell me what do you think the pros and cons in each one and which one would you pick to own and why?
Many thanks folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 10:45 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,971,478 times
Different kinds of vehicles that are not usually considered directly comparable. The Lexus CT is a luxury version of the Prius where the A4 Avant is a midsized station wagon. Both fine cars but you need to drive both before you decide anything.

Old 02-15-2014, 11:25 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,326,646 times
It depends on your taste. A Lexus drives totally different from an Audi.

If I had to choose, I'd go with the Lexus. I don't like the styling of the Audi.

The Lexus' acceleration isn't the best, which is probably due to it being a hybrid. There isn't a lot of storage space inside the hatchback. And maybe I'm going too far with this, but it reminds me of a luxury Prius. It's fancy, but not really.

Old 02-15-2014, 11:31 AM

584 posts, read 1,341,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Different kinds of vehicles that are not usually considered directly comparable. The Lexus CT is a luxury version of the Prius where the A4 Avant is a midsized station wagon. Both fine cars but you need to drive both before you decide anything.
I owned a couple of Audi wagon so i know how it feel but never driven a Hybrid before that's why i don't know how it does on a long distance drive as well as accelerate because it's Hybrid. So it come down to should we give up speed for MPG , also which one is more reliable in the long run?

Old 02-15-2014, 04:11 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,170,520 times
They are both relatively new cars, so it's tough to judge reliability outside of tests by Consumer Reports or Edmunds. I would say comparing the reliability of a hybrid with the reliability of a turbo wagon is beyond apples and oranges. Speaking from a personal standpoint, I would never pick a hybrid (at least not one with low performance) over a turbo. Also, the Avant is a true station wagon if space in the back is important to you. Why did you select these two particular cars for comparison?

Old 02-15-2014, 04:19 PM

8,699 posts, read 11,096,568 times
totally diff vehicles.

I driven the a4 but not the avant variant. Nice car overall....I enjoyed the manual version a lot. Reliability is iffy

I driven the CT as well. Pretty small vehicle. For a lexus nameplate, I personally don't find it very luxurious compared to the other lexus offerings. At the end, its really a fully loaded Prius with a hatch. There are lots of good deals for the CT; you can even fine 2013 brand new now.

Old 02-15-2014, 05:23 PM

347 posts, read 650,971 times
Depends on how tall you are.

I'm not sure about the A4 because I've never been in one. But calling the CT a gussied-up Prius is a bit erroneous because the Prius feels a lot bigger than the CT. 6'2" me can sit in the back seat of a Prius just fine, but the CT's back seat is way cramped. The front seat IIRC correctly was also pretty tight, while the Prius has adequate room.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:22 AM

8,699 posts, read 11,096,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urban analysis therapist View Post
Depends on how tall you are.

. But calling the CT a gussied-up Prius is a bit erroneous because the Prius feels a lot bigger than the CT. .
to be fair, the V somewhat larger. The hatch & CT is reasonable close statistically. I sat & drove both & its pretty small to me.

Now mechanically they are all the same....engine, transmission, fuel capacity, etc etc....so its fair game to state that the CT is a dressed up version as a Prius. I personally own a Lexus and the CT seems to fall short on the bells & whistle compared to the Lexus in its lineup.

Old 02-16-2014, 12:24 PM

347 posts, read 650,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
to be fair, the V somewhat larger. The hatch & CT is reasonable close statistically. I sat & drove both & its pretty small to me.

Now mechanically they are all the same....engine, transmission, fuel capacity, etc etc....so its fair game to state that the CT is a dressed up version as a Prius. I personally own a Lexus and the CT seems to fall short on the bells & whistle compared to the Lexus in its lineup.
Technically true, since they both ride on the same platform and use the same powertrain. Note, however, that the MC platform that underlies both cars is also used in a wide range of Toyota cars, from cars as small as the CT and Scion TC to cars as large as the Avalon and Sienna.

And while both are hatchbacks, the Prius and the CT are in completely different classes in terms of interior space. If you go to fueleconomy.gov and compare cars, you'll see that the CT has 86 cubic feet of interior space, while the Prius has 94 cubic feet. By comparison, the Yaris has 85 cubic feet while the Corolla has 92 cubic feet. And before cars started to balloon in size over the years, a late 90's Camry had only 97 cubic feet (the current Camry has 103), and a 1994 Accord had the same 94 cubic feet of space as the current Prius.

That's what I refer to when I say the CT isn't really just a glitzed up Prius. The CT has the interior room of a subcompact, while the Prius has the interior room of a large compact or small mid-sized car. I could sit in reasonable comfort in the rear seat of a Prius, while the CT's rear seat reminds me of the one in a Scion FR-S.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:29 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,904,423 times
We own a 2010 A4 Avant, and have been very happy with it. Excellent acceleration, and pretty rare down here in Texas. Knock-on-wood, not one issue since new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive