Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Audi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 12:23 PM

448 posts, read 1,054,758 times

Advertisements

i'm considering of buying an audi a3 tdi has anyone driven one how does it ride handle and whats the maintance on it like as far as cost
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 12:37 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
since the Audi A3 TDI is pretty much just a blinged out VW Golf TDI with GTI suspension/performance parts I would try:
Volkswagen GTi / TDi - Volkswagen Forum - VW Forums for Volkwagen enthusiasts

Old 01-19-2011, 01:15 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,619,937 times
My gf had one (actually her brother's who got shipped off to Istanbul by the State Dept) for several months and I got to drive it around every now & then. It's a blast to drive with more torque than I would've expected. And the dual-clutch is a lot more engaging & fun to shift than normal auto tranny's. Even though it's FWD, I never experienced any noticeable torque steer, but then again I wasn't peeling out or pushing the car that hard.

My only concern would be that CR gave the A3 a below-average long-term reliability rating :/ It probably doesn't matter if you're leasing a new car or just keeping it for 2 or 3 years, but I'd be wary of owning any Audi past 100k miles unless you've got $$ to burn on parts & repairs.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:56 PM

thanks guys got the vw forum in my fav there gt i'll sighn up tomorrow. damm only a3 star rating i have to find that article smoking i might be better off with a loaded golf tdi i need a car i can drive the crap out of not leasing the car id'e be buying it i can't understand renting the money and the car to and god forbid if you get a scratch on it. never mind the thought that the leasing agent usialy requires that the driver carries the max ins that would break me in los angeles

Old 01-20-2011, 09:21 AM

i'll think i'll go with the vw golf tdi its cheaper to keep up the up keep on it than than the audi a3 tdi. i'm just looking for something i can put hile miles like 60k a year on the engine.

Old 11-01-2011, 05:02 AM

and theres a DPF or diesel particulate filter that needs to be inspected or replaced at 120 miles for the burn load to and its not cheap as it's part of the catlalectic converter system

Old 11-01-2011, 07:29 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganto_2010 View Post
and theres a DPF or diesel particulate filter that needs to be inspected or replaced at 120 miles for the burn load to and its not cheap as it's part of the catlalectic converter system
This is correct, but the total load will be very dependent on your driving style. In this case, the more you drive it and the harder you drive it, the better it is for the life of the DPF. Assuming you do a lot of hard highway driving, at 120,000 miles you will need to have the DPF inspected at the dealer. Assuming it is fine, you will then need to have it inspected every 10,000 miles after that. The max life for a VW DPF is pegged to be around 150,000 miles. If you do a lot of city stop and go driving, you can expect less life out of your DPF and might be looking at a replacement sooner than 120,000 miles.

At that point, you would be looking at a major repair given the cost of replacing the DPF. FWIW, the catalytic converter and DPF are part of the same overall exhaust system, but they are separate parts. This article gives a fantastic explanation of the VW DPF system, how it works and what's involved.

VW Audi DPF filter regeneration with DPF problems like clogging and why you can't do a DPF bypass or DPF delete with a kit

Old 11-01-2011, 10:30 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganto_2010 View Post
i'll think i'll go with the vw golf tdi its cheaper to keep up the up keep on it than than the audi a3 tdi. i'm just looking for something i can put hile miles like 60k a year on the engine.
Maintenance really isn't any different. I had a GTI, and the dealer charged Audi-level prices for things like oil changes. Parts are similar. My particular car had a lot of problems before the warranty was up at 50k, so I sold it. Would've cost me ungodly amounts of money had I not had a warranty.

Buy new or buy with CPO extended warranty. Don't own an Audi/VW without a warranty.

I plan on picking up an Audi A3 TDI once they start showing up on the pre owned market. They are near impossible to find now. One plus with the A3 TDI is that it will hold its value incredibly well.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:10 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
this sounds like a good plan... (A3 TDI Euro Delivery)
My A3 TDI European Delivery Story - VW TDI forum and Audi TDI forum - myturbodiesel.com

I am not sure if A3's are available with manual trannies, I have had one too many (1) German Automatics in my Motorhome....

For the more trouble free high mileage use, an early 2000's jetta wagon would be preferred. (since the B4V 96-97 Passat Wagons are getting so rare to find). I like my 52 mpg w/ 25 gal tanks, so will stay with the B4V's and make replacements from GLX donor wagons. I know some that have gone over 500k, I have a few with 300k+. The suspension parts are really inexpensive to keep them running (like $10 for ball joints and tie rod ends. Add some Audi TT bushings (<$20) to suspension to tighten up the ride and handling .

Old 11-02-2011, 10:40 PM

600 posts, read 1,932,751 times
What year is the A3? And what TDI is it? I mean how many hp?
So I can give you more information.

I had Golf and Polo TDI's in Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Audi