Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2014, 01:33 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,109,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
It's good to have a truck when you can clear almost a grand in one night by using it.
I absolutely agree with you and I think that is the point that the OP was trying to make. She wasn't questioning people like you, who use their trucks to make a living, but she doesn't understand those who buy trucks and don't have any practical use for them.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Actually there's a positive direct correlation between the vehicle size and anatomy. The bigger directly reflects the member size in a direct correlation.

Now, Prius and SmartCar drivers really do have to worry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
Lighten up Francis, my comment was poking fun at the "pick up drivers and small pee pee" comments others were making.

I happen to drive a giant quad cab, long bed, diesel pickup thank you very much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
MY GOD MAN, you're huge.
You guys have me LMAO.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Some people prefer trucks over cars. It's their money. If they want to get 11 mpg in an oversized Dodge Ram or Ford F-150, and commute 60 miles to work each way every day, that's their choice

And if they want to add semi-style smoke stacks that spew black smoke and kill the earth, that is also their choice

Why is it such a big deal to you?
If they want to give their money to the big oil companies, I agree that is their choice and they have at it. However, when they "spew black smoke and kill the earth", as well as endanger the life of my asthmatic daughter and other people with respiratory problems, they should not have that option.

It's no different then the idiot who wants to light up his/her cancer stick and share their toxic smoke with everyone else.

YOUR rights end at the tip of my nose.

That's why it's "such a big deal".

Old 02-26-2014, 02:22 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,972,590 times
Such anger in this thread. Pickup haters should forever identify themselves so those of us who use them (many times for non pickup owning friends) can never use them for evil again.
I refuse to feel guilty for driving for what I feel is the best universal vehicle there is.
If you can't see the wisdom of owning a truck, then never buy anything ever again that was spent any time on a truck of any sort. And never ask your friend with one to help you move or get your new gas grill.
What's the point of a truck? Jeez....really?

Old 02-26-2014, 10:54 PM

3,703 posts, read 4,856,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
How does that help, when the vehicle(s) in front of you and around you are not cars, but other trucks or SUVs, like yours?
When you're in a car, all the other vehicles are going to be the same height or higher then you so you won't be able to see over any of them. With a truck, a lot of the vehicles will be lower then you enabling you to see over many of them. There are also lift kits and oversize tires as well to give even more of a boost.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:41 AM

1,514 posts, read 1,795,988 times
I'm living in Europe, but back home I drove a 17-year old 4x4 truck with over 200k miles. I rarely used its towing/hauling capabilities, and if I had picked my vehicle I definitely wouldn't have picked a truck (it was hand-me-down from my father). BUT every time I was close to rationalizing getting rid of it we'd get a hard rain and the highways would flood, or I'd need to carry 12 people a few miles along surface streets (legal to ride in the back of a truck in Texas), or I'd need to haul four kayaks somewhere, or drive offroad, or haul some building materials to my house. These situations arose just often enough that I could hardly imagine not owning a truck, or at least not having a close friend/family member whose truck I could borrow on occasion. My truck is dead reliable, cheap to maintain, old enough that dents/dings don't matter, comfortable, and fuel economy is a non-issue with my <3 mile commute.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:11 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,291,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Did you read the article? It applies only to trucks that weigh more than 8500 lbs. Not many personal trucks fit in that category. A 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck, depending on configuration, weighs about 6000 lbs.

If truck buyers want to save money, they can choose to do so. They certainly don't need the feds mandating it.
I had a 4 door 8foot bed 3/4 ton truck that weighed 100 lbs over that 8500 ! So with lots of nice options, a personal use pickup can weigh that much and more!

Old 02-27-2014, 08:17 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,300,756 times
A 2012 Ford F350 Crewcab long bed DRW weighs in at 7442 lbs with a GVWR of 13,000 lbs for reference, and some people drive these as personal vehicles. My dad does!

Old 02-27-2014, 08:23 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,291,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
A pre DFT 5.9l Cummins truck will get 18-20 mpg on the highway, at best (stock) and maybe 1 or 2 above that with a programmer.

The DFT 6.7l Cummins are getting 14-16 highway.

There is no way in hell your friend is getting 27mpg combined. He is BSing you. And for what it's worth, the MPG readout computer is known as the 'lie o meter'. You have to use the trip meter and hand calculate your MPG to get the real numbers.

The Cummins I6 is a great engine, but lets keep it real.
Just because the trucks you have won't doesn't mean someone else's truck won't do it either. His truck does get that kind of fuel mileage (and yes, I have driven his truck and had to refill the tank and I got the same mpg he says it gets!)and a funny little thing called a calculator with the gallons and mileage driven is how we figure fuel mileage. Plus fuel quality / areas the vehicle is driven can effect mpg. Oh, he laughed at the lie o meter line since his truck doesn't have that silly readout computer option ! Lie o meter is the nicest thing we've ever heard one of those called ! lol

Old 02-27-2014, 09:13 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,634,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
you're right I don't need no stinkin truck
Looks comfy. Rather spacious as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive