Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2013, 09:57 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,944,882 times

Advertisements

I try to stay with the flow of traffic and away from traffic as much as possible, even if it means backing off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 10:07 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,704,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
And this justifies the opposite how, exactly? That's clearly what you're trying to do, and it's just as wrong to drive 15 over the limit as it is to drive 15 under the limit; they're BOTH wrong, and BOTH are inconsiderate asswipe things to do, though one is legal and the other isn't so there's that. (Yes, the traffic laws DO apply to you, grow up and get over it.)

And the posted speed limit is still the TOP speed you are legally allowed to drive, not the minimum that you are required to drive. Grow up and get over that, as well.
Raising speed limits is such a bummer.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:50 PM

29 posts, read 60,808 times
On local roads I try to stick to the posted limit though sometimes I find myself 5 over. On the interstate I'm either su the posted limit or over by 10 depending on the area and the posted limit for that area.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk 4

Old 11-25-2013, 10:54 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,199,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
(Yes, the traffic laws DO apply to you, grow up and get over it.)

And the posted speed limit is still the TOP speed you are legally allowed to drive, not the minimum that you are required to drive. Grow up and get over that, as well.
Yet you admitted to driving over the limit. I guess those traffic laws don't apply to you.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:04 AM

358 posts, read 887,955 times
Often the expressways have a minimum speed limit as well. In those locations it is just as illegal to drive under the minimum speed limit as over the maximum. The highest minimum speed limit I have seen is 60 MPH. I have also heard of people being cited for "impeding traffic" when driving the speed limit in a location where traffic typically exceeds the speed limit. I think this is generally used when drivers attempt to control others driving habits by blocking a lane with their vehicle while driving exactly the posted limit. Apparently this can cause a back up of traffic in some locations.

What puzzles me is when speed limits are raised with no changes to the expressway. If the maximum safe speed was 60 MPH and suddenly it is increased to 75 MPH with no changes, that means the maximum safe speed was false, or the speed limit is now an unsafe speed. Either way it does little to inspire confidence in lawmakers. It appears the speed limit is based on the whims of a particular lawmaker rather than on any principals of engineering or safety. "I feel like making everyone drive no faster than 65 MPH today" is not really a valid basis for a law.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:50 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,521,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
If I did around here I would get rear ended. (Southwest)
Me too (SoCal). In fact, there's one section of the 210 Freeway where, if you're not doing at least 80, you'd BETTER be in the far right lane! (Posted speed limit is 65.)

On the highways and freeways of California there are two types of speed signs. One of them reads "Speed Limit." The other one reads "Maximum Speed." As long as highway/freeway conditions warrant it, LEOs generally allow drivers to exceed the posted "Speed Limit" a bit; in fact, they sort of expect it. However, they get really testy with those who exceed the posted "Maximum Speed."

Old 11-26-2013, 08:53 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,042,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendanSWM View Post
Often the expressways have a minimum speed limit as well. In those locations it is just as illegal to drive under the minimum speed limit as over the maximum. The highest minimum speed limit I have seen is 60 MPH. I have also heard of people being cited for "impeding traffic" when driving the speed limit in a location where traffic typically exceeds the speed limit. I think this is generally used when drivers attempt to control others driving habits by blocking a lane with their vehicle while driving exactly the posted limit. Apparently this can cause a back up of traffic in some locations.

What puzzles me is when speed limits are raised with no changes to the expressway. If the maximum safe speed was 60 MPH and suddenly it is increased to 75 MPH with no changes, that means the maximum safe speed was false, or the speed limit is now an unsafe speed. Either way it does little to inspire confidence in lawmakers. It appears the speed limit is based on the whims of a particular lawmaker rather than on any principals of engineering or safety. "I feel like making everyone drive no faster than 65 MPH today" is not really a valid basis for a law.
Bingo! You have now latched onto the American truth that speed limits are inherently arbitrary & have very little to do with motoring safety.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:09 AM

2,040 posts, read 2,463,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Bingo! You have now latched onto the American truth that speed limits are inherently arbitrary & have very little to do with motoring safety.
I have to disagree with that.

The vast majority of Americans can barely handle the lower speed limits even on Interstates as it is.

Maybe you or I could, but we'd have to share those roads with incompetents and texters!

-- Posted with TapaTalk

Old 11-26-2013, 02:57 PM

2,668 posts, read 4,507,887 times
I consistently do 70-80 on CT highways. My average is pretty much 80 when it's not congested and I keep myself away from packs of Lemmings as I call them. The people who group with a big rig or two or three and wont all flow to move around them, just clog up the lanes doing 60 with no clear idea of which lane is actually moving ahead.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:03 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,969,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Cars have changed so much and are much safer at higher speeds than they were in the 1970s. Back then, I rarely even hit 70 mph because the car shook at that speed. I feel much more comfortabe at 80-85 mph now than I did at 70 mph back then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive