Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2013, 11:42 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
I'd say the left lane hog in that example. The speeder adjusted his speed to the road conditions. The left lane hog just drives the speed limit pigheadedly irregardless of road conditions creating a hazard when he could easily change lanes.

On a related note, I never understood why people won't pass on the right. I mean, in the ideal world you'd never have to because people would just not sit in the left lane going less than the flow of traffic... but reality being what it is, why not just pass on the right?
Let me guess - you like to speed.

Let's put it this way.

Speed limit is 65. Person A in left lane is going 65.

Speeder, Person B, decides to "adjust his speed to the road conditions" (one of which, one of the MOST important ones on public roadways which are not racetracks, is the other people driving on the road, so clearly he didn't REALLY do that, did he?) and is going 90 mph.

Now, again, who is responsible for the speed variance that is the primary cause of accidents? The person who is driving the speed limit, or the person who is driving 25 mph OVER the speed limit, causing a 30 mph speed variance?

If Person A (left lane driver) is driving 60, 5 mph below the limit (and I agree they should be in the right lane in that case) and Person B is driving 70 , 5 mph above the speed limit, you have a speed variance of only 10 mph.

Even if Person A were in the right lane and Person B were speeding past them, Person A could have a blow-out that made them swerve into the left lane and Person B wouldn't be able to avoid them at that speed, or an animal could run out on the road and cause a swerve, or any number of other things could happen. If both vehicles are going at something close to the same speed, as is repeated ad infinitum on here by people wanting to use it as some sort of weird justification for their own need for speed, then the wreck will be more avoidable.

So, once again, who is causing the speed variance, the person who is driving the limit or the person who is NOT taking into account all of the road conditions in their need for speed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 12:43 PM

427 posts, read 947,588 times
Quote:
I'd say the left lane hog in that example. The speeder adjusted his speed to the road conditions. The left lane hog just drives the speed limit pigheadedly irregardless of road conditions creating a hazard when he could easily change lanes.

On a related note, I never understood why people won't pass on the right. I mean, in the ideal world you'd never have to because people would just not sit in the left lane going less than the flow of traffic... but reality being what it is, why not just pass on the right?
I think they do. People pass me on the right all the time.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:48 PM

21,872 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Go back and reread the post, THL. Person B did adjust his speed to the road conditions. Your failure at reading comprehension doesn't alter what is written for anyone to see.

Person A, the left lane hog, is primarily the cause of the speed differential. It is up to Person B to adjust his speed to the road conditions, which is what he did so that he wouldn't barrel down on the left lane hog driving below the flow of traffic in the left lane. If the flow of traffic is 90 mph (and yes, we get up there here in California with regularity) and someone is doing 65 in the fast lane, they are causing problems and impeding the flow of traffic. So once again, the left lane hog driving under the flow of traffic in the wrong lane is the cause of the speed differential. They need to move over and stop impeding the flow of traffic and creating a dangerous situation for everyone else. Fortunately, most drivers due adjust to road conditions and it's a minority that are poor drivers such as, perhaps, yourself who drive below the flow of traffic in the left lane, don't know how to merge properly, etc.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyDavis View Post
I think they do. People pass me on the right all the time.
And this tells you nothing?

I mean there's times when you're going the flow of traffic and the right lane just happens to be going faster than the left lane. Often that's caused by someone ten cars up who doesn't know how to drive.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:54 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Actually, as has been said numerous times in these discussions on here, I only drive in the left lane if I am passing someone or exiting to the left. However, that doesn't change the reality that the speed demon is the primary cause of any speed variance, no matter how many rationalizations and excuses they may make to others (and usually to themselves) to justify their behavior. I even occasionally exceed the speed limit, but never, EVER do I make up excuses and say that anyone else is the one doing something wrong and blame THEM when I chose to do something wrong. Something I see way too much of on here, which gives one pause about the kind of "thinking" that is going on on the public roadways.

The speed limit is the speed limit no matter which lane you're in - and it's the upper speed limit, not the slowest you're supposed to drive. Doesn't matter what everyone else is doing, if you choose to speed, you're making a conscious choice to violate the law and to be the initiating cause of any speed variance problems and you should be grown up enough to acknowledge that, if you're adult enough to be driving at all.

Old 12-01-2013, 01:09 PM

427 posts, read 947,588 times
Quote:
And this tells you nothing?

I mean there's times when you're going the flow of traffic and the right lane just happens to be going faster than the left lane. Often that's caused by someone ten cars up who doesn't know how to drive.
It tells me that people are going over the speed limit.

Old 12-01-2013, 01:44 PM

270 posts, read 703,430 times
Honestly, I always go 5mph over the posted speed limit.

Old 12-01-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2da2nd View Post
Honestly, I always go 5mph over the posted speed limit.
Speed demon! Get off my road with your endangering of lives

Old 12-01-2013, 02:49 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,029,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Actually, as has been said numerous times in these discussions on here, I only drive in the left lane if I am passing someone or exiting to the left. However, that doesn't change the reality that the speed demon is the primary cause of any speed variance, no matter how many rationalizations and excuses they may make to others (and usually to themselves) to justify their behavior. I even occasionally exceed the speed limit, but never, EVER do I make up excuses and say that anyone else is the one doing something wrong and blame THEM when I chose to do something wrong. Something I see way too much of on here, which gives one pause about the kind of "thinking" that is going on on the public roadways.

The speed limit is the speed limit no matter which lane you're in - and it's the upper speed limit, not the slowest you're supposed to drive. Doesn't matter what everyone else is doing, if you choose to speed, you're making a conscious choice to violate the law and to be the initiating cause of any speed variance problems and you should be grown up enough to acknowledge that, if you're adult enough to be driving at all.
& you should be "grown enough" to understand & then acknowledge the fact that too often, the speed limit is inappropriate for the design & conditions of the road.

By the law being wrong, it creates a dangerous situation in & of itself.

Old 12-01-2013, 02:52 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,029,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyDavis View Post
It tells me that people are going over the speed limit.
Actually, what that REALLY means is that you are driving under the prevailing speed that most people are comfortable with on that road & thereby you are driving too slowly for the design and conditions of the road.

Your choices are twofold: to adjust your velocity to the prevailing speed or get in the right lane and maintain your velocity.

The minimization of speed variance results in the maximization of safety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive