Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 10:41 AM

1,218 posts, read 3,482,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
I never go more than 5 mph over on highways. On residential, I keep it at the speed limit. Those of you who enjoy going 10, 20, 30+ over the limit, just remember, all it takes is 1 second of inattentiveness or something beyond your control and you either seriously injure yourself or worse, kill or seriously injure someone else. Ask yourself if it would still be worth it then?
So you should go no faster than 10 mph. A second of inattentiveness at any speed can cause injuries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2013, 10:44 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,184,524 times
It is sort of amusing when people wag their fingers and say it's OK for me to break the law just a little bit, but you people who are breaking the law just a little bit more than me are irresponsible .

Is it only me who finds this as illogical as all get-out?

And if any of you folks were driving when the national speed limit was 55, were you clutching your pearls and wagging your fingers at those irresponsible, reckless fools going 62 mph?

Old 11-24-2013, 11:02 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,184,524 times
Additionally, now that I think of it, rural freeway speed limits range from 60 to 75, depending on the state.
You can go from Idaho (75) into Oregon (65) and you'd better slow down in a hurry because they like to sit there at the welcome center rest area and nail people. Luckily I got off with a warning.

So...speed is relative and there are many factors to consider; only one being the prevailing speed limit. Someone going 10 or 15 miles over the speed limit in trlhiker's state might be going UNDER the speed limit in another state.

Speed limits in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-24-2013, 11:18 AM

419 posts, read 848,072 times
I stay in the far right lane and travel at the speed limit 55 or 60 mph. To me it is an enjoyable ride. Any car that wants to pass me from behind is welcome to use the left hand lane.

Old 11-24-2013, 11:30 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,128,165 times
The short answer is "Usually, depends on the road"

Yes, except on Interstate, where I try to drive at such a speed that nobody in the normal flow of traffic has to leave the drive lane in order to overtake me. But never over 70, anywhere, even if that is the speed limit. 70 Is a pretty liberal speed limit, which does not challenge the skills of any driver, nor the mechanics of any car, and I have no need to go anywhere faster than that..

But I rarely drive on interstates, preferring to travel, if practicable, on non-interstates. Again, if there is traffic, I try to maintain a speed that will not give me a sense that I am blocking traffic. If there is no traffic, I drive at a comfortable speed, which is never over about 67.

However, here in Texas, the speed limit is 70 on 2-lane Farm-Market roads with no paved shoulder, and nobody drives that fast on them (except right around big cities).

Old 11-24-2013, 11:31 AM

21,922 posts, read 25,257,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Additionally, now that I think of it, rural freeway speed limits range from 60 to 75, depending on the state.
You can go from Idaho (75) into Oregon (65) and you'd better slow down in a hurry because they like to sit there at the welcome center rest area and nail people. Luckily I got off with a warning.

So...speed is relative and there are many factors to consider; only one being the prevailing speed limit. Someone going 10 or 15 miles over the speed limit in trlhiker's state might be going UNDER the speed limit in another state.

Speed limits in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Oregon was wear I got my first speeding ticket. Came around a bend and there was highway patrol coming the other direction. He didn't even have time to get his lights on before disapeering around the corner. I just pulled over. 30 seconds later he came ripping around the bend lights/siren blazing and almost drove right passed me. He was nice about it. Got a ticket for 65 since he was pleasantly surprised not to have to chase me for 50 miles to catch up and had no clue what I was doing (it was a lot more than 65). Ah, to be young and dumb again.

Old 11-24-2013, 11:52 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,939,260 times
Posted speed limit or less in residential areas, school zones, etc.

On the open highway it's 5 - 7 mph over the limit based on conditions.

Lately on the way home from work via the interstate, I'll stay in the right lane with the cruise control set at the speed limit. It makes for a leisurely ride without having the need to pass anyone or change lanes since pretty much everyone else is leaving me 'in the dust' at that speed!

Old 11-24-2013, 11:58 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,202,406 times
Secondary roads 5 overs.. Highways try to stay under 10 over unless moving in large pack where you would not expect the whole group to get pulled over. When I was younger I used to get a kick out of hitting 100 mph on straight open raods,

Old 11-24-2013, 12:00 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,043,822 times
If its appropriate for the design & conditions, yes. If not, no.

Sometimes when it's extremely late & I'm literally the only car on the road, I would drive the speed limit on cruise control & take it easy. Or if the mood strikes me, I crank it up to 87 mph & make it home in 2 hours from Houston, as I did once a long time ago.

Old 11-24-2013, 12:26 PM

5,336 posts, read 8,564,364 times
I speed way more than I should....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive