Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 02:34 AM

11 posts, read 33,861 times

Advertisements

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']I just moved to Michigan and I don’t have any experience in driving under snowy conditions. Since I will be driving 30-50 Miles a day, I thought I need to replace the old tiers with (traction/winter tiers) but I don’t know which one is the best and affordable. By the way my car is not a BMW, so don’t think of those expensive (Michelin, Pirelli) it is a 97chevy Lumina, so my budget is ($200-$300). I tried to research it, but I found so many types which confused me. What I am looking for is a decent, safe, and affordable tiers that won’t let me down on the highway when the Temp is below F20.[/font]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2007, 08:05 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,233,018 times
Unless you live in the UP where it snows a foot every day or a rural part of Michigan where only the state highways get plowed, I don't see the need for snow tires. You really only need them maybe 5 days out of the year when you're on the roads before they're cleared off. A decent set of all-seasons should suffice, and for extra measure on those days where you have to drive in snow, get a pair of AutoSocks.

Driver skill will do more for you than snow tires anyway. In winter I compete in an ice trials series, which is basically autocross on snow and/or ice. I always compete with all-season radials and I still usually finish first in my class even though my competitors are on snow tires. In one event I even finished 4th overall -- even beating a lot of AWD cars in my Mazda Protege -- in a field of about 25 cars, almost all of which were outfitted with snow or rally tires.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:34 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,047,026 times
I agree with Drover. Unless you live in a very remote area, all season radials are good enough. The plows will be out as soon as snow starts falling and they will sand and salt ahead of the storm if they know it's coming.

I drive about 100 miles a day and the secret is to give yourself plenty of time. Driving in bad weather requires a calm driver, mind on the road. And use common sense. If it's a blizzard outside and the media is telling you to stay home, stay home! Even if it doesn't look too bad where you are, who knows what's waiting 5 miles down the road. Snow can vary a lot and over time you will learn the places likely to get more! It's good to have alternate routes to the places you need to go. They will always plow the highest use roads first while the secondary roads wait longer.

Braking on ice and snow is different. Give yourself a lot more stopping distance.

Old 11-17-2007, 12:53 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,868,298 times
i used to say all seasons are "good enough" for winter, but the reality is that snow tires > all seasons and you will notice a night and day difference in snow, ice, and clear but super cold and salty roads. you will especially notice this difference in braking. if you have the money for a second set of wheels and tires (and you can get a set for pretty cheap from tirerack.com) it is worth your money.

as for what kind, everyone likes to scream blizzaks, but IMO they wear too fast, and once they get to 50% tread they get as hard as a rock. nokinan is a terrific snow tire. i most recently had continentals on the vw i just sold to my brother, which i got decent mileage for the price.

Old 11-17-2007, 03:06 PM

To each their own I guess. The day I started creaming people in ice trials on all-seasons is the day I vowed never to waste money on snow tires unless I move to a place where roads are minimally or never cleared.

Old 11-17-2007, 04:24 PM

tires are the only part of the car that touch the ground. i've also done ice races, track days, etc etc. i'm no stranger to driver skill and control and the importance of. but... tires are the only part of the car that touch the ground.

Old 11-17-2007, 05:42 PM

A little OT here, but do you do the WAG ice trials in Hustisford? I believe they occasionally run them in Eagle River as well, but that's too far of a drive for me. Unfortunately, some years are too warm and Lake Sinnissippi doesn't freeze thick enough to hold cars, leaving Eagle River the closest place to go.

Old 11-17-2007, 06:23 PM

no, i used to do some ice races with the fox valley sports car club on lake winnebego. but quite honestly i really hate the cold so i never go any more. plus the last few years have been too warm to get the cars on the lake anyway.

Old 11-17-2007, 06:27 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,266,956 times
An All wheel drive Audi

Old 11-17-2007, 11:28 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,940,013 times
Well, I really liked our AWD Audi, too, and it was equipped with 4 brand new Cooper Weathermasters that had maybe a thousand miles on them. Last January my wife was driving along at her usual slower than slow pace on a dirt road that was hard packed snow. She got into a spin and that was that.

Nothing is certain.

It was kind of weird that day, which was crystal clear and just really cold; She called me at work and I knew, before I even said hello, that she was calling to tell me of an accident. She was ok, but the car was a total loss. And we just had the timing belt and water pump replaced when we got the snows, adding more insult to injury.

I still like the Coopers, though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive