Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 03:19 PM

310 posts, read 1,196,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillietta View Post
We don't use snow tires in Minnesota. Get front wheel drive. Go slow and don't tailgate. That is the best advice. I use the same tires year-round. And I agree, try to practice before you really start commuting.
Some areas in Minnesota they do use snow tires. You don't see it in the metro much or even in the bigger cities but a lot of rural areas use them. EW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 03:42 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,575,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwar View Post

P.S. After you are used to it the fun begins, because their is always some moron that thinks he's got a 4wd or snow tires that make him unstoppable, but quite often you will see them same guys further up the road upside down in the ditch. Hopefully their stupidity never kills anyone. EW

You must be refering to all the pickup trucks and SUV's that frequent the ditches and not me?

Old 01-25-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S6Sputnik View Post
You must be refering to all the pickup trucks and SUV's that frequent the ditches and not me?
Your right, I wasn't being politically correct. However my point was just because you have a 4wd and snow tires doesn't mean your not capable of losing control. EW

Old 01-25-2008, 09:51 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,575,557 times
Default Write up from Canadadriver

Here is what I should have done in the first place... a write up from Canada (http://www.canadiandriver.com/winter/tires/hakka_rsi.htm - broken link)

Old 01-25-2008, 10:04 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,984,649 times
OK. In Minnesta you don't need snow tires. Just know how to drive like few Minnesotans do. It's all in the driving.

Old 01-26-2008, 12:05 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,838,848 times
We're in North Idaho (about 60 miles from Canada). LOTS of snow and ice (we don't see our paved road for a week at a time). I have a 4WD SUV with siped Pirelli ATR tires, and a RWD performance sedan with very good traction control and Nokian Hakkapelitta studded tires. They are THE BOMB. In anything but deep snow, I like my sedan with studded tires 80/20 over my 4WD.

Let's put it this way...my 16yo kid is driving...and I would much rather have her on studded tires than 4WD. Let me tell you, doing downslope on ice, 4WD doesn't do jack for you...but studs (unless you're abrupt or reckless) are like driving on dry pavement...

Old 01-26-2008, 12:55 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
We're in North Idaho (about 60 miles from Canada). LOTS of snow and ice (we don't see our paved road for a week at a time). I have a 4WD SUV with siped Pirelli ATR tires, and a RWD performance sedan with very good traction control and Nokian Hakkapelitta studded tires. They are THE BOMB. In anything but deep snow, I like my sedan with studded tires 80/20 over my 4WD.

Let's put it this way...my 16yo kid is driving...and I would much rather have her on studded tires than 4WD. Let me tell you, doing downslope on ice, 4WD doesn't do jack for you...but studs (unless you're abrupt or reckless) are like driving on dry pavement...
Studs are actually illegal on paved roads in many states, including Michigan.

Old 01-26-2008, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillietta View Post
OK. In Minnesta you don't need snow tires. Just know how to drive like few Minnesotans do. It's all in the driving.
Yes, this is correct in my opinion. EW

Old 01-26-2008, 08:49 AM

489 posts, read 1,211,004 times
We've experienced "black ice" on our highways here during the past week due to below 0 temps (salt is not effective in low temps). One guy in a pickup lost control on a 4 lane hiway, went into median, rolled over several times, he, not wearing seatbelt was ejected from vehicle and he (his body) came to rest in opposite lane. Luckily oncoming traffic did not run over him. He is in critical condition.

Old 01-26-2008, 09:19 AM

489 posts, read 1,211,004 times
On subject of snow tires - I have 4 snow tires on my front wheel drive car (50$ ea at Sams Club). I can drive to work (10 miles rural driving) in bad snowy road conditions - no problem. I then jump in my rear wheel drive company vehicle (all season tires on rear), drive 225 miles during course of day and have tough going all day. Granted, fwd is better than rear wheel in snow, but my argument with our fleet mechanic is the company vehicle should have snow tires. Snow tires, plain and simple, have more grip in stopping, turning (if on all 4 wheels), and especially starting out from a stop, than all season. If you just drive a few miles to work or a few trips to the bank and grocery store than all- season might work for you but 10-12 hours behind the wheel, you will notice the difference. I'm talking snow conditions and not ice. Nothing works good on ice but good driving habits. By the way, I leave the snows on all year. But I don't put that many miles on this car in summer. I actually drive a GREMLIN back and forth to work in summer. If you're looking for attention and comments (good & bad) just drive a Gremlin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive