Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 05:04 AM

23,178 posts, read 26,314,509 times

Advertisements

I feel more comfortable carrying a can of Fix A Flat in the car all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 05:20 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,065,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matryoshka4811 View Post
I was wondering this, about how long it's good for me to drive each day. I was thinking of doing Louisville to Lincoln NE (700mi, 10.5hr), Lincoln to Salt Lake City (880mi, 12.5hr), then Salt Lake to Sacramento (650mi, 9.5hr). The second stretch from Lincoln to Salt Lake kind of has me worried because 12.5 hours seems long but I'm not sure stopping halfway in Colorado is a good idea with the flooding right now. There is the possibility of stopping in Cheyenne WY though if y'all think the Lincoln-Salt Lake drive is too long, assuming I can find a pet-friendly hotel of course.

Is 12.5hr (880mi) too long to drive in one day?

we go back to Wi several times a year, with pitstops, eating, traffic & weather it can run maybe 17 hrs (ahs been worse when the snow flies up there). In summer, going up, we'll try to make it in the one day as we gain an hour and the sun is out near the enter time. But coming back when we lose the hour and in winter when it's dark past 5, we normally stop half way. Found it's worth it to spend the 60 bucks and get a good nights rest, less stress when splitting the trip into 2 days.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:00 AM

791 posts, read 1,430,384 times
Quote:
Hey all!

I have a 2007 Nissan Versa hatchback (1.8L 4-cylinder engine, auto transmission) that I'm getting read to drive about 2,230 miles from Louisville KY to Sacramento CA in about two weeks. I will probably have it stacked pretty full with stuff too because I'm moving. I know literally NOTHING about cars quite frankly so I need some advice on what to tell the mechanic to do with it. It still has the tires from when I bought it used in March 2009. The air conditioner doesn't work, which is the third time that's happened but luckily the leak should show up this time because the last mechanic put a dye in it.

Any advice would be very much appreciated! I'm hoping to get the car looked at this coming week. Thanks!
timing belt, oil change and tires...thats it

Old 09-17-2013, 10:04 AM

19,718 posts, read 16,940,284 times
Quote:
I was wondering this, about how long it's good for me to drive each day. I was thinking of doing Louisville to Lincoln NE (700mi, 10.5hr), Lincoln to Salt Lake City (880mi, 12.5hr), then Salt Lake to Sacramento (650mi, 9.5hr). The second stretch from Lincoln to Salt Lake kind of has me worried because 12.5 hours seems long but I'm not sure stopping halfway in Colorado is a good idea with the flooding right now. There is the possibility of stopping in Cheyenne WY though if y'all think the Lincoln-Salt Lake drive is too long, assuming I can find a pet-friendly hotel of course.

Is 12.5hr (880mi) too long to drive in one day?

I find that if you sort of multiply the miles driven by two you get how many hours it takes to get there........for example, a 600 mile trip usually takes 12 hours of driving, 700 miles = 14 hours, etc. (I realize there is a decimal point involved in the math, but you get the point of my rough estimate. ) The reason I use that formula is that I drive the speed limit mostly, and I stop to eat, get gas, go to the bathroom, etc. It is also easier on the car if you don't push it at breakneck speeds all the way there.

You have a relatively new car there, only 5 years old, with somewhat low mileage on it. Chances are you could just jump in it and make the trip with no problems, but you are being smart to want to do a few things to increase your chances. Sounds like you have done good periodic maintenance on it and have done things that usually bite you like the timing belt.

Changing the oil may not be absolutely necessary, but the reason I always do it before a long trip is that it puts clean oil circulating throughout the motor. Plus, 2200 miles may put you over the next due oil change anyway, so it is just good to do it now.

Top off the fluids, carry an extra quart or two of the correct oil and trans fluid, a gallon of distilled water (for the radiator and battery) a can of fix a flat, some rags, a good spare and jack, a flashlight, and your AAA card and cell phone. You should be good to go.

And don't forget kitty treats for your two furry passengers.

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive