Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2013, 10:04 AM

3,705 posts, read 4,868,169 times

Advertisements

These are probably some dumb questions but due to medical issues and lack of work I might just sell my truck to pay off my car and eliminate some bills. I could always buy an older one if needed and when I get back on my feet I can always get a new one again. They make them every day!

I'm trying to figure out how I can find the true value of what similar vehicles are going for. It is an 07 quad cab RAM 1500 SLT 4X4 with the 4.7 in very good condition and 60,000 miles. It has a leveling kit and 35" tires but I think I'd just sell it with the stock tires/rims instead as the larger ones won't add any value and may actually eliminate some buyers. Perhaps I can sell them separately as well. I'm assuming also that it would be best for me to have it MD inspected as well?

What would be the best way to list it? I live in a rural area about 2 hours from any metropolitan area and am wondering how that would effect selling it, though trucks are very popular here. I'm wondering about that because 20 years ago it took me forever to sell a vehicle here (and I practically gave it away) but that was in the day of only newspaper classifieds and weekly auto trader mags, no internet then.

Another question is what would be the best way to accept payment? Again, years ago I just accepted cash or cashiers check in the driveway and gave them the title and truck, but I was dealing with cheaper vehicles then. I'm thinking this would be too much to comfortably accept a pile of cash or a cashiers check for.

Would it be best if I had them meet me at a bank with cash so I could have the tellers deposit it directly as well as make sure the bills are real?

Would you shy away from a seller who would only accept cash at his bank for the transaction?

Would a cashiers check be acceptable if I deposited it at my bank while the buyer was there?

Do I sound overly paranoid and over thinking this process? I'm actually a very trustworthy individual but I would hate to have something go wrong such as fake bills or fake check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 03:16 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,240,162 times
I would certainly sell the aftermarket wheel set seperately, you will lose their value as they get absorbed into a negotiated price for the truck. List on the Craigslist for the nearest large cities, plenty of people are willing to drive a few hours for a vehicle purchase. Cash at your house or meet at a bank and cash a certified chck or have them withdraw. Bring a buddy if you have to go somewhere. Lots of scumbags out there don't take a risk.

Old 08-31-2013, 03:36 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,182,981 times
Look at similar vehicles on craigslist (tends to skew low) and autotrader.com.

I've sold (and bought) several vehicles online, from $600 to $16,000. Either cash or certified check and meet at the bank.

As a buyer, I expect sellers to be leery. So meeting up at a bank is cool. As a seller, I am cautious, and ditto.

I'd set a definite add-on price for the tires and rims and wouldn't use that as a negotiation tool unless they're something you can sell seperately for a fair price.

Old 08-31-2013, 04:28 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,632,070 times
I only sell vehicles or boats etc for CASH. You can bring a bank check but. Will meet at the bank the check is written from to cash it and then I will sign opera over.
I passed in three buyers for my wife's old SUV I was selling because one of the conditions was to meet at AAA to transfer vehicle ownership. I ended u selling to a guy who had a great family and loved the SUV. but the truck looked perfect and I had all the records.

I wouldn't take anything but cash unless you can go to a bank and they can confirm the bank check is real

Old 08-31-2013, 04:31 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,264,711 times
Go to your bank and have them look up the value in their Blue Book. It'll be valued for your region, mileage, condition, style and factory equipment (engine, transmission, leather seats, etc.). It will give prices for trade-in, wholesale, retail and for sale by owner). I'd price it halfway between by owner and retail. That'll give you a little room for negotiations. While at your bank ask them the best way to do the purchase transaction. When I bought my son's first truck, we went to the seller's bank and I called my bank and had them do a wire transfer.

Clean it up to showroom condition, wax it, etc. Get those wheels/tires off of it! Most qualified buyers wouldn't want them. The more stock it is the better, plus you can sell them through Craig's List.

Park it at a Walmart at the fringe of the parking lot where it won't be surrounded by shopper's cars or another spot with good drive-by visibility on weekends with a couple for sale signs on it. List the year, mileage, price and your phone number. If you might be interested in a trade, state that too.

Craig's List should be a decent place to advertise it, but I'd use your local paper too, and if there's a larger town close by, try that too. If it's a daily, try Fridays and Sundays for the best results. When I was going to sell my truck I made a little website for it. That way I could have all the big pictures I wanted to use. If someone calls about it, even from a newspaper ad, you can give them the url -- or just list it in the ad.

Speaking of pictures, use good ones. Don't just take pictures wherever it happens to be sitting. Park it in a nice area and move it around as you take the pictures so the sun is on the truck. For the best pictures shoot it when the sun is low -- early morning or late afternoon just before sunset. Take pictures of the inside and out all around, tires, seats, carpet, odometer, etc. You can get some ideas by looking at car dealer websites.

If you have kept all the receipts from maintenance, get them together and organized. Buyers of used cars like to see that, whether they really look at them or not. It indicates that you've had it properly maintained. Also if you've added anything (other than the tires and wheels!) have the receipt for that too -- such as bed liner or tonneau cover.

It sounds like you have a nice truck. It should sell, and this would be a good time of the year to sell a 4x4. Good luck!

Old 08-31-2013, 04:48 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,065,031 times
Two things are your friend here: Kelly Blue Book (kbb.com) and Craigslist.

It looks to me like your truck should probably be worth somewhere in the $15k-$17k range, though there are a lot of variables.

Also, if you list it on Craigslist, the listing is free. You've got nothing to lose.

Personally, I look at "modified" vehicles as being worth FAR LESS than stock. The reason is because so many of them have been modded by hacks, and have had the crap beat out of them. In other words, sell the truck with the stock rims & tires...

Good luck!

Old 08-31-2013, 05:38 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,435,598 times
If your only reason to meet at the bank is to make sure the bills are real, you can bypass all that and get a counterfeit marker. They're like 4-5 dollars.

As a serious buyer, I wouldn't care where we meet, but honestly a bank is safer for me as a buyer, in case the seller is out to rob me of my cash.

Old 08-31-2013, 09:43 PM

19,104 posts, read 27,702,597 times
Good luck. You want to sell on craiglsit, or local ebay, which is craigslist knock off? You must have plenty of patience and nerves of steel. It is a daunting task.
You accept cashier check, or credit union check, CUT IN YOUR PRESENCE AT THE BANK OR UNION. Don't be silly and hassle with $15K cash. Besides, have fun depositing that amount in your account. I just did similar, that was some adventure. They have QUESTIONS now.
I understand medical bills. Did you actually look into lowering bills, instead of going desperate and selling cars for peanuts? Will take you about the same in nervous system damage to get out of bills, or out of most of them, as to sell that truck.
http://lawfulpath.com/ref/shc_rev2-0eval.pdf

Old 08-31-2013, 10:34 PM

3,705 posts, read 4,868,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
I understand medical bills. Did you actually look into lowering bills, instead of going desperate and selling cars for peanuts? Will take you about the same in nervous system damage to get out of bills, or out of most of them, as to sell that truck.
http://lawfulpath.com/ref/shc_rev2-0eval.pdf
I have good insurance so I wish medical bills were my problem. I have kidney failure and am going through dialysis and waiting to get listed for a transplant. I have a hard time working because all of the time spent at the doctors. Now I have the winter (off) season to contend with.

Even though I have some money that will carry me through this might be the best time to sell the truck as I don't need to sell it at the moment. However, later on I might have to sell it in which case I'd take a low ball price---I don't want to go that route.

At some point I will get back on my feet and can start working again in which case I can always buy another truck when needed. Right now it would be nice to pay off my other car and have a bigger cushion for mortgage, plus have a little in reserve for any transplant meds that might be needed which medicare won't cover whenever that day comes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive