Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 10:12 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,235,461 times

Advertisements

In PA (in the counties that have emissions testing), the annual inspection results in a sticker that is good for a year. The dealer would only have to inspect it if the sticker has (or will) expired, and then only if the sale is to someone who will be registering it. Selling to another dealer, auctioning it, or selling out of state does not require a current emissions (or safety) sticker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 10:17 AM

15,794 posts, read 20,493,343 times
They send them to auction, or recondition them themselves.

Dealer costs are MUCH lower than what you and I pay to repair/recondition vehicles. Their cost on parts and labor is much cheaper.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:29 AM

7,515 posts, read 13,618,508 times
In the 9 counties in Colorado that require emission tests, the seller must provide the buyer with a new test as part of sale. A dealer can provide a voucher for buyer to get own new test (required for re-registration), but is liable for buyback if car fails test. See Air Care Colorado :: Change of Ownership for more details.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:21 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
We seldom sent a car to auction and the problem with paying for a smog test is/was the shelf life of the test. It was not uncommon to get another test because the car was on the lot too long.

Could have changed since I was around the business...

Some people actually sell or trade to a licensed Dealer because no Smog is required by the State for these transactions... just like when a Dealer sells to another Dealer.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:29 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Most any car post 96 with OBD-II, if the CEL is not on, it will pass SMOG.

Despite the tall tale posts here about going round and round with SMOG testing, a mechanic who knows what he's doing can make the necessary adjustments to a mechanically sound car to get it to pass easily. The one exception is if the cat needs replacing. That's relatively rare on newer cars.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:14 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Unless the car is newer model or its in excellent shape the car goes to auction from dealers. All kinds of buyers go to auction; even parts strippers.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:46 AM

728 posts, read 1,899,549 times
Hows this for the ultimate scam. In CA the law dictates that whenever a car is sold via private party it must be smogged and the responsibility falls on the seller however very few people, especially on Craigslist, do this even though it's the law. Often times they will discount the asking price under the condition that "Buyer smogs it". I've seen it and done it dozens of times. Here is where it gets interesting though. The smog certificate issued when it passes the test is only good for 90 days. If you sell your car 91 days later it needs to be re-smogged AGAIN. So theoretically a car can be smogged up to 4 times in the same year if it is sold after only 90 days of ownership. It's a huge scam because even though there's a 99.9% certainty that it will pass the test 91 days after it was tested it still has to be done and you still have to pay for it. 50 bucks per test. Millions of cars in CA. That's a lot of revenue when you think about it. That's also not even including the "transfer fees" they charge too on top of the registration fees.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainGuy74 View Post
Hows this for the ultimate scam. In CA the law dictates that whenever a car is sold via private party it must be smogged and the responsibility falls on the seller however very few people, especially on Craigslist, do this even though it's the law. Often times they will discount the asking price under the condition that "Buyer smogs it". I've seen it and done it dozens of times. Here is where it gets interesting though. The smog certificate issued when it passes the test is only good for 90 days. If you sell your car 91 days later it needs to be re-smogged AGAIN. So theoretically a car can be smogged up to 4 times in the same year if it is sold after only 90 days of ownership. It's a huge scam because even though there's a 99.9% certainty that it will pass the test 91 days after it was tested it still has to be done and you still have to pay for it. 50 bucks per test. Millions of cars in CA. That's a lot of revenue when you think about it. That's also not even including the "transfer fees" they charge too on top of the registration fees.
Yes... it does add up.

Also, I stopped driving my 1976 Truiuph because I was tired of having to Smog it for the 300 miles I would drive annually.

Few, if any other States Smog vehicles fast approaching 30 years old.

The last time I took my VW Thing for a Smog Check the tech said he could not do "Kit" cars... it was frustrating to have to school the guy that is being paid to Smog my car.

So many buyers get burned on buying as-is without a Smog... if the car has been modified or otherwise fails... the car is only worth salvage/scrap.

The law is very clear the seller is responsible... but, first you have to find the seller and then good luck collecting.

Old 08-23-2013, 03:14 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Ultrarunner, you really ought to sell that Triumph and replace it with a 75 or earlier Trabant. Riiiiinnnngggdingdingding!

Old 08-23-2013, 03:19 PM

Just my luck that it is titled as a 76!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive