Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 09:54 AM

15,804 posts, read 20,545,286 times

Advertisements

Brake squeal on new brakes is usually improper greasing of pad contact points during installation. The squealing is actually high frequency vibration.

cheap brake components are known for squealing more than higher quality parts as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 10:14 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,208,954 times
Some cars will have brake noise if the exact manufacturer recommended pads are not used . A shimmy you can feel in the steering when brakes are applied indicates a warped rotor. A shimmy at speed without braking indicates an out of round unbalanced tire or bent wheel.The anti squeal grease needs to be properly applied.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:21 AM

621 posts, read 1,054,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
Some cars will have brake noise if the exact manufacturer recommended pads are not used . A shimmy you can feel in the steering when brakes are applied indicates a warped rotor. A shimmy at speed without braking indicates an out of round unbalanced tire or bent wheel.The anti squeal grease needs to be properly applied.
Great point!

I didn't see that there was a tire rotation until just now.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:46 AM

304 posts, read 1,019,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Brake squeal on new brakes is usually improper greasing of pad contact points during installation. The squealing is actually high frequency vibration.

cheap brake components are known for squealing more than higher quality parts as well.
Hopefully it's just the greasing I need, I had them put on a heavier duty rotor/pad this time around since my last set of brakes only lasted me just over 2 years.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:49 AM

304 posts, read 1,019,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
Yeah, I know the warped rotor shimmy This is definitely a shimmy only at speed so hopefully a rebalanced tire and grease will solve my issues as you all are suggesting

Old 07-10-2015, 09:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,589 times
I see a lot of idiots posts by people who are not mechanics but think they are? I hope you see actual doctors and not self-diagnose your own ailments.

My brother is a NASCAR mechanic and here is what he recently discovered on my 2006 Ford Fusion after having new rotors and brake pads installed:

First, if the car shakes when you are braking that is a sign of warped rotors. It does not matter if they were replaced yesterday. Brakes warp when they overheat. If you have a caliper piston, slide pin or brake pad sticking this can cause overheating. It is an underlying issue mechanics cannot see. The wrong friction material on the pad will cause the noise (squealing) , a stuck pad will create noise, as will a caliper shim. It is also important to know that not all "universal parts" are recommended for all vehicles. Their thickness can vary and that is why it is most recommended to use OEM parts.

In my case, Carquest Wearever rotors and Carquest Wearever gold brake pads were used. However they have a slight thickness in them when compared to the OEM. Turns out, that thickness is where the friction was creating the noise. Once the OEMs were put on, the noise went away and my car no longer felt like it was dragging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive