Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 08:53 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,541,995 times

Advertisements

I probably average a new vehicle purchase once every 5 years. I do my homework as best as possible, but still believe I get hosed on every purchase. By the time I am signing the pile of papers needing my signature, I am not sure what I am paying for...... It is like a psychological game they play and are much better at it then the customer (well, at least this customer). Over the past twenty or so years I have done all my purchases from two dealers in NJ. A GMC/Buick dealer. A Chevrolet dealer. Why? Because the two dealerships are close and convenient.

While I am not sure which dealership ends up giving me the better deal, the perception between the two is totally different. One (the GMC dealer) makes me feel good about purchasing the car there. The Chevy dealer has always made me feel like a rape victim after the deal. Each time I have told myself "Never again!" Hopefully my recent Malibu purchase will be my last from this dealer.

Is this just me? Am I just stupid about purchasing a vehicle? Or are there others with similar feelings about certain dealers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 09:01 PM

44,622 posts, read 61,590,826 times
A majority of people get paranoid when purchasing a new vehicle. It's a normal thing to wonder if you got the best deal through all that sales trauma.
Enjoy your new Chevy. Malibu's are a nice vehicle.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:35 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,620,865 times
have you ever tried price comparison via the internet before you go in? All dealers have internet sales agents that handle quotes via email and generally are upfront with their bottom-line pricing (however i've noticed that more & more are resorting to the What price do you have in mind? We can do $1000 off MSRP scripted lines). Try to get quotes from 3 to 5 competing dealers, even if you have to drive an hour away. And make sure you have all the figures itemized Before you step into their office to sign papers & hand over your check.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:42 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
I have the opposite experience. Buying a new car is a fun challenge. The dealerships have made it into a game, so I play, with full on effort. The biggest problem for people is test driving and falling in love with a car, the salesman depends on this. You have to be prepared to walk away if they don't agree to your terms for price, interest rate, and trade value. The other big factor is time of year, and month. Buy when the dealer is hungry. The best time is between Christmas and New Year, when they are trying to boost their annual sales figures.

My last vehicle, a 2007 Ranger 4x4, was stickered at $26,550 and I paid $23,000 including tax & license and got what I asked for my trade. I bought it on December 30 2006 and it also helped that it was after a recent snowfall. The one before that for my wife was stickered at $32,679 and we paid $24,000, that one was the weekend after Thanksgiving, and I was there 5 hours and walked out twice, but the salesman ran and brought me back.

If you dislike this kind of thing then you are better off using the Costco car buying service, where you will get a decent deal without all of the haggling.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:51 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,420,859 times
If you don't know what's on the pile of papers you are signing, then you should feel r*ped.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:57 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,607,140 times
My wife and I bought both of our trucks thru Costco and we could not have been happier with the purchases. Everything was stream lined, I was in and out with my truck in one hour at the dealership. 100,000 mile extended warranties free. Our price was $3500 less than sticker.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:14 PM

15,793 posts, read 20,483,047 times
that's why I like Tesla's "no-dealer" way of selling their car.

Why is it in this country we haggle over price for only our cars, but everything else we pay what the sticker says? I think most people get anxiety over car shopping because of this. I know pay pay under sticker, but that just chips into the dealer's margin. They still make a profit.

It would be SOOO much easier if dealers just had fixed prices. Car A costs $24,999, these options add $x, $y, or $z dollars. Here are your TTL fees. Have a nice day.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:50 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,124,163 times
Your buying a new car.

You ARE being r*ped!

Old 07-26-2013, 02:46 PM

24,469 posts, read 17,211,031 times
I sold cars for 5 years at a GM dealership and we tried to make it as easy, friendly and straight forward as possible. The sales team were just a bunch of good guys, sharks were not allowed or tolerated. We tried ot give good service up front and out back.
It is true that there is a mountain of paperwork to sign through especially if you are financing but each piece should be explained to you so you understand it.
The best customer is a well educated one so look up your next car online and get to know it inside and out plus what it costs. Dealers are in the business to make money selling cars but most of the big ones also make money in their parts dept., body shop, and repair shop. I was surprised to learn how little the sales dept made in relation to the rest of the dealership.
I believe that negotiating and haggling can be fun but just keep in mind that it is OK if everyone is a winner in the end. Be realistic about your trade and don't be forced into buying anything you don't need.
IN the end if you feel like that Chevy dealer is taking advantage of you stop going there when you buy.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:54 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,574,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
I probably average a new vehicle purchase once every 5 years. I do my homework as best as possible, but still believe I get hosed on every purchase. By the time I am signing the pile of papers needing my signature, I am not sure what I am paying for...... It is like a psychological game they play and are much better at it then the customer (well, at least this customer). Over the past twenty or so years I have done all my purchases from two dealers in NJ. A GMC/Buick dealer. A Chevrolet dealer. Why? Because the two dealerships are close and convenient.

While I am not sure which dealership ends up giving me the better deal, the perception between the two is totally different. One (the GMC dealer) makes me feel good about purchasing the car there. The Chevy dealer has always made me feel like a rape victim after the deal. Each time I have told myself "Never again!" Hopefully my recent Malibu purchase will be my last from this dealer.

Is this just me? Am I just stupid about purchasing a vehicle? Or are there others with similar feelings about certain dealers?
No, it's not just you. You are a typical product following the crowd. Be proud. You fit into THEIR plan for the world just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive