Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 04:23 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times

Advertisements

when i was looking for a newer car, i gave myself 3-4 weeks before i made a decision

i sent emails out to six dealerships, each had the car i wanted a sonata- i asked for specs, and best price,,,told them i sent out emails, and will consider each proposal carefully,
4 wouldnt email prices,,,but i had to visit them,,,two dealerships,,were great,,told me what they had for inventory and what the lowest price was..
i emailed back the two that responded with answers - thanked them
the 4 that didnt respond well,i forwarded to the sales managers, said i guess you dont want my business-and said they were off my short list

no reply for a week-these were the larger dealerships-

i also looked on craigslist, and around the internet for pricing,,i wanted a one yr old sonata this was 2 yrs ago..
i found many cars in the 16-19k range ..mostly the dealerships
private sales some were in the 15-16k range

then at the end of the month a small dealership , had one advertised for 12,995 i went right over, nothing was wrong with it- so i paid cash that day-still running well..

I love new cars,, and have had many ,but because of the costs, i will usually get one a year old..

i like the malibus also, and impalas, but i may go with another sonata,,mine gets 33 mpg on the highway

many yrs ago , as a young man,,,i learned real quick, that the guys selling cars do this for a living everyday,,,and i despise haggling,,,,so it wasnt an even playing field,,,but im the customer, and that trumps everything-i make the final decision of my offer,,if accepted or refused.

one dealer dropped 6 k less than any other dealers on a new car 6 yrs ago,,,i knew the salesman pretty well,,he said that the factory incentives were huge on this car

as everyone else said,,do your homework,,,,and if you dont like haggling,,send offers in emails,,
to the sales manager ,

look everywhere on the internet,,see what cars are selling for- even not in your area..
throw out offers... you hold the ultimate trump card- you can always walk away
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive