Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 08:15 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,699,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
I probably average a new vehicle purchase once every 5 years. I do my homework as best as possible, but still believe I get hosed on every purchase. By the time I am signing the pile of papers needing my signature, I am not sure what I am paying for...... It is like a psychological game they play and are much better at it then the customer (well, at least this customer). Over the past twenty or so years I have done all my purchases from two dealers in NJ. A GMC/Buick dealer. A Chevrolet dealer. Why? Because the two dealerships are close and convenient.

While I am not sure which dealership ends up giving me the better deal, the perception between the two is totally different. One (the GMC dealer) makes me feel good about purchasing the car there. The Chevy dealer has always made me feel like a rape victim after the deal. Each time I have told myself "Never again!" Hopefully my recent Malibu purchase will be my last from this dealer.

Is this just me? Am I just stupid about purchasing a vehicle? Or are there others with similar feelings about certain dealers?
I see you're from Lakewood, NJ and mentioned Chevy dealer.

By chance was it Pinebelt on Route 88?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 09:56 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,543,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
I see you're from Lakewood, NJ and mentioned Chevy dealer.

By chance was it Pinebelt on Route 88?
You guessed it!

Old 07-27-2013, 06:47 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,125,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I sold cars for 5 years at a GM dealership and we tried to make it as easy, friendly and straight forward as possible. The sales team were just a bunch of good guys, sharks were not allowed or tolerated. We tried ot give good service up front and out back.
It is true that there is a mountain of paperwork to sign through especially if you are financing but each piece should be explained to you so you understand it.
The best customer is a well educated one so look up your next car online and get to know it inside and out plus what it costs. Dealers are in the business to make money selling cars but most of the big ones also make money in their parts dept., body shop, and repair shop. I was surprised to learn how little the sales dept made in relation to the rest of the dealership.
I believe that negotiating and haggling can be fun but just keep in mind that it is OK if everyone is a winner in the end. Be realistic about your trade and don't be forced into buying anything you don't need.
IN the end if you feel like that Chevy dealer is taking advantage of you stop going there when you buy.
that may make a good line, but in the REAL WORLD every game that has a winner, has a looser!

Old 07-27-2013, 06:49 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,699,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
You guessed it!
I bought a car from them back in Dec 2011. It was the worst car buying experience I've ever had. The only good thing about was I paid a super low price and ordered a custom combo. Otherwise I would have walked.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:06 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,543,117 times
I believe I have (finally) learned my lesson. My last purchase from them (actually a lease) was a 2007 Cobalt for my youngest daughter. The experience was not too bad. However this recent Malibu brought back the memories of earlier unpleasant buying experiences........

Old 07-29-2013, 06:29 AM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,226,693 times
When one is making such a big purchase, I think its rather natural you feel that way.
The question always lingers around... did I get the best deal?
But at the end of the day, as long as you are happy with what you have purchased, it's what matters most.

It's only a bad situation when you bought something you didn't want.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:44 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,006,903 times
What are they putting in the contract that you are unsure about?

Typically there is the cost of the vehicle, taxes, some government fees (such as registration), some dealer document fees... thats about it.

When you do your homework, know what you should pay for the vehicle (plus the usual taxes). If your out the door price is significantly more, don't sign.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:36 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,714,464 times
I've bought 3 new vehicles in the last year and some change. A 2012 Grand Cherokee from one dealer (crap experience, but I got the packages I wanted. Swore I'd never go back again). A 2014 Grand Cherokee I traded the '12 in for...MUCH better experience. Went through a group buy from a Jeep forum. Knew exactly what I was paying before I walked in, had the financing lined up before I walked in. Only thing I haggled was my trade, they gave me a low number and I left. They called me back half an hour later with the number I wanted, I stopped off on my way home from work the next day and filled out paperwork. I was in F&I for less than 15 minutes. Picked up the Jeep when it was delivered. We'll probably go back when it's time for the wife to replace her car. Also bought a new bike after I totaled mine in an accident...that was pretty painless too. 15 minutes of back and forth on the price and I was in F&I for about 20 minutes. Came back with a trailer to pick it up, they had it ready to go when I pulled up.

I never walk into a dealer "browsing" for a car. I know exactly what I'm looking for before I go in, and I always deal with the price before I get there (except the bike...gotta butt test a few before I figure out what I want). I want to go in, sign the dotted line and leave.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:45 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,497,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
What are they putting in the contract that you are unsure about?

Typically there is the cost of the vehicle, taxes, some government fees (such as registration), some dealer document fees... thats about it.

When you do your homework, know what you should pay for the vehicle (plus the usual taxes). If your out the door price is significantly more, don't sign.
Yeah, no kidding. I bought me an '08 SuperCrew last week (You only turn 34 once...YOLO?) and the price offered was even lower than Edmunds by about $500 and since the truck had everything I wanted and then some, I was happy with the whole deal.

I think all I signed (Credit union pre-approval and a rock-bottom 1.74%, FTW.) was an itemized purchase order, a couple of "as is" statements, an odometer disclosure and took the purchase order to my lender.

I almost want to ask what people do to make this painful, but then again, the F&I guy was ready to hug me since I had pre-approval and wasn't (I imagine) a subprimer trading in two ragged out vehicles for something obviously out of my reach. So, maybe I don't want to know.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:40 PM

865 posts, read 2,161,075 times
They make more money on the subprimers; they can charge super high interest rates, and will almost always end up with the vehicle to re-sell and do the same thing again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive