Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 01:04 PM

389 posts, read 1,219,091 times

Advertisements

Good grief! I haven't been here awhile but I have owned seven Hyundais and Kias and have yet to have any problem with any of them except bad sun visors in the 2008 Sonata I had. That was a recall and replaced.

Any engine may or may not be an interference engine. One will just have to look it up and find out. With the chains most use today it's a moot point. Otherwise, regardless of the brand, I would replace at about 60,000 miles to be sure on belt driven engines. The biggest problem is not the actual replacement but getting to the belt which in some cases, as for example the VW Beetle is a major job. I had one for a very short time and just sold it rather than shell out the $900 to have it done. I've done about everything on a car except rebuild an automatic transmission and this job I passed on.

My personal opinion is that if one maintains the vehicle properly any modern vehicle, Japanese or Korean is likely to last for many years without any significant problems. I strongly recommend using the dealer as they will discard the oil and filter which is a royal pain and what with our environmental laws are today can't simply be tossed in the trash or the ditch. It doesn't cost that much anyway. $25 where I live and I have it back in less than an hour.

I will end by saying that trashing Hyundai or Kia is getting a little stale. If one doesn't like them, then don't buy them. Buy something else, like a Yugo or some other "superior" brand of vehicle. Whatever makes one happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 06:08 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,479,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmissourimule View Post
Good grief! I haven't been here awhile but I have owned seven Hyundais and Kias and have yet to have any problem with any of them except bad sun visors in the 2008 Sonata I had. That was a recall and replaced.

Any engine may or may not be an interference engine. One will just have to look it up and find out. With the chains most use today it's a moot point. Otherwise, regardless of the brand, I would replace at about 60,000 miles to be sure on belt driven engines. The biggest problem is not the actual replacement but getting to the belt which in some cases, as for example the VW Beetle is a major job. I had one for a very short time and just sold it rather than shell out the $900 to have it done. I've done about everything on a car except rebuild an automatic transmission and this job I passed on.

My personal opinion is that if one maintains the vehicle properly any modern vehicle, Japanese or Korean is likely to last for many years without any significant problems. I strongly recommend using the dealer as they will discard the oil and filter which is a royal pain and what with our environmental laws are today can't simply be tossed in the trash or the ditch. It doesn't cost that much anyway. $25 where I live and I have it back in less than an hour.

I will end by saying that trashing Hyundai or Kia is getting a little stale. If one doesn't like them, then don't buy them. Buy something else, like a Yugo or some other "superior" brand of vehicle. Whatever makes one happy.
well autozone takes my oil and filter no problem for free, give me free gloves and tough paper towels. Oh and a full synthetic oil change with a M1 filter/oil is a hella lot of money at the dealer. I pay $35 they would charge at least $75. And the tech doing it actually cares about his car, not the grease monkey starting out getting $12 hour to rip through oil changes asap and generate as much revenue as possible. These comments apply to all dealerships.

Old 07-19-2014, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
well autozone takes my oil and filter no problem for free, give me free gloves and tough paper towels. Oh and a full synthetic oil change with a M1 filter/oil is a hella lot of money at the dealer. I pay $35 they would charge at least $75. And the tech doing it actually cares about his car, not the grease monkey starting out getting $12 hour to rip through oil changes asap and generate as much revenue as possible. These comments apply to all dealerships.
Personally, I don't believe synthetic oil is worthwhile. It still has to be changed at the recommended intervals in order to maintain warranty coverage. In addition to the issue of disposal of oil and filters, a permanent record of the maintenance is kept on the dealer's computer for future reference.

For $24.95 plus tax, I can't see why I would want to do it myself although I have done many in my lifetime. But times change and we can't work on cars today because of their complexity so why bother? I have $4,000 worth of tools in my garage that I no longer use. If something doesn't work, it's the dealer's problem which is why I buy new. Haven't spent a dime on problems in 25 years except for routine maintenance.

Old 07-27-2014, 03:47 PM

I'll add to this. Just reading somewhere that Kia and Hyundai are very much the same in many ways, there are some significant differences. Hyundai sells a whole passel of Santa Fes but in the "Sport" only with the 2.4 or 2.0 turbo. The larger version "Santa Fe" comes with the V6 engine but is pricey.

The Kia Sorento on the other hand offers the V6 in the shortened version. Although I currently own both a 2013 Sonata SE and a 2013 Genesis, if I were in the market for a SUV, I would rather have the Kia simply because it is offered with the V6 in the shortened version. The 2.4 engine is underpowered in the Santa Fe and I'm not a big fan of the turbo in any car as eventually they will fail and will cost an arm and a leg. The regular non turbo engine should last about forever if it is maintained at regular intervals.

Anyone in the market for any of these cars, Japanese or Korean should also check out the Subaru line. Their customers are the most loyal of any brand. It is almost impossible to find used ones on dealer lots as they are snapped up about as soon as they are traded in. My neighbor bought a new 2.5 Outback and that is one sweet vehicle.

On the timing belt issue, I don't think that Hyundais or Kias use timing belts any longer. A google check should confirm what models if any still require a timing belt change. If it is an interference engine, change it on or before the recommended mileage. I've seen bent valves from broken belts and it is not a pretty picture. With chains that is no longer a consideration.

Old 07-27-2014, 05:02 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmissourimule View Post
I'll add to this. Just reading somewhere that Kia and Hyundai are very much the same in many ways, there are some significant differences. Hyundai sells a whole passel of Santa Fes but in the "Sport" only with the 2.4 or 2.0 turbo. The larger version "Santa Fe" comes with the V6 engine but is pricey.

The Kia Sorento on the other hand offers the V6 in the shortened version. Although I currently own both a 2013 Sonata SE and a 2013 Genesis, if I were in the market for a SUV, I would rather have the Kia simply because it is offered with the V6 in the shortened version. The 2.4 engine is underpowered in the Santa Fe and I'm not a big fan of the turbo in any car as eventually they will fail and will cost an arm and a leg. The regular non turbo engine should last about forever if it is maintained at regular intervals.
Yeah I wish they offered the V6 in the shorter Santa Fe because I actually think it's a good looking crossover. The Sorrento looks very dated IMO.

Old 06-23-2015, 03:46 PM

3 posts, read 5,017 times
If you owned 7 Kia and Hyundai, you did not keep them long enough to find any problems. My 2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid has 140,000 miles with 0 problems. I keep the oil and filters changed and it goes. Still rides smooth with a very nice acceleration, and I haven't had to replace the brakes yet. Most Hyundai and Kia's I see are newer because they basically give them away. To me, they are more for the younger consumers. Too flashy and cheap looking on the outside.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:01 PM

43 posts, read 75,603 times
Repair of Hyundai is hard to perform, which means there is lower likelihood of the repair being done well. But Toyota and Honda still have the best design quality and many of their components have noticeably higher quality. Now you can choose between Honda & Toyota.

Old 02-15-2016, 07:35 AM

997 posts, read 850,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekbrian View Post
Repair of Hyundai is hard to perform, which means there is lower likelihood of the repair being done well. But Toyota and Honda still have the best design quality and many of their components have noticeably higher quality. Now you can choose between Honda & Toyota.

You've never tried to remove the rotor on a 4 wheel disc 1993 accord.

Old 02-15-2016, 10:28 AM

17,303 posts, read 12,245,675 times
They're getting to be as reliable as Honda/Toyota...but as long as they keep offering that 100k powertrain warranty but not transferring it to a second owner resale value will continue to be an issue.

Old 06-23-2018, 09:47 AM

2 posts, read 9,686 times
Its like the stock market, buy low
sell high. And I would bet when brand new the 2011 Hyundai Elantra was cheaper, better equipped, had much longer factory warranty, lower interest rates, and Elantra had much better factory rebate than a new 2011 Honda Civic. Yet both cars resale for same 15K price..! In this senario , with its lower upfront costs the Hyundai Elantra would have the higher residual value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive