Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 07:50 PM

12 posts, read 39,566 times

Advertisements

Having owned two Toyota vehicles and two Hyundai vehicles, I would answer "no".

If you are purchasing a used Sonata, beware of the warranty. The 100,000 mile warranty only covers the original owner. As soon as the vehicle is re-titled, the warranty is reduced to 60,000 miles. This is why I would not buy a used Hyundai. My 04 Sonata (retitled) needed a new transmission, as it was previously a rental car. The warranty would not cover it. Also, at 80,000 miles on my Elantra, I am on my second transmission. Thankfully, I purchased this one new, so Hyundai covered both of them.

Good luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 08:35 PM

774 posts, read 1,698,440 times
^^^ Yeah but everything you said is still better than Honda or Toyota.
A free trans at 80K miles is practically unheard of from other mfrs.
And rental cars tend to be abused so aren't often wise purchases.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:08 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,107,933 times
I'm curious: why replace your Camry with only 95k miles on it? Those things will run to 200k quite easily with regular maintenance.

I was looking for a Hyundai Tucson earlier this year. I priced used ones first thinking that I could save a few thousand. But after a fair amount of searching, I found that it wasn't the case. I would sometimes find the price of used ones being equal or even greater than the price of a new one. I ended up buying a new one. Ended up trading in my '08 Scion tC in on it, got a great trade in and the Tucson gets equal mileage to the '13 Tucson but with a much larger vehicle.

I'm a believer in Hyundai. Don't get me wrong, Honda and Toyota still make fine cars but Hyundai is catching up fast and are not far behind, IMO.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:30 PM

18,951 posts, read 43,814,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponGal View Post
Having owned two Toyota vehicles and two Hyundai vehicles, I would answer "no".

If you are purchasing a used Sonata, beware of the warranty. The 100,000 mile warranty only covers the original owner. As soon as the vehicle is re-titled, the warranty is reduced to 60,000 miles. This is why I would not buy a used Hyundai. My 04 Sonata (retitled) needed a new transmission, as it was previously a rental car. The warranty would not cover it. Also, at 80,000 miles on my Elantra, I am on my second transmission. Thankfully, I purchased this one new, so Hyundai covered both of them.

Good luck to you.
Unless its certified preowned, then it gets the 10yr/100k powertrain warranty just like the new ones.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:35 PM

19,468 posts, read 28,003,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
I'm curious: why replace your Camry with only 95k miles on it? Those things will run to 200k quite easily with regular maintenance.
IMO.
You are echoing what my husband is saying - and he is the regular driver of the Camry. I'm spoiled by the 2013 Sonata and feel a bit guilty, I think.

Excellent point, Army Guy. And if your member name is at all accurate, thank you for you for your service.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:23 AM

21 posts, read 42,577 times
I'd still take a Hyundai Genesis in a heartbeat.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:07 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,557,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Our Hyundai didn't hold it's value very well. If we had bought it new, we'd have been upside down on it after 3-4 years. We bought it 1 yr old, and managed to get about 2k over the loan value when we sold. This was for a Tiburon.

It all depends on how much money you put down and how long you financed it for. If you don't put anything down you will be upside down for a long time if you finance for five years.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:46 PM

6,483 posts, read 6,221,492 times
Hyundais will hold their value fairly well... not quite as good as a Honda, but probably better than a Toyota nowadays. The public perception of Hyundai has really turned around. They've been building decent cars for ~15 years, and truly good cars for nearly ten. They're no longer looked at as junk, so their prices used will not be the lowest for a recent model. However, a 2011 or newer Sonata will be a great car, and even a 2006-2010 would be good but slightly dated nowadays.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:11 AM

5 posts, read 8,494 times
Well Hyundai rides are best . I m in totally in the favor of Hyundai cars . Because i have used them and like them because of the drive and comfortableness . . .

Old 06-22-2014, 11:16 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,586,266 times
The Accord has the best resale value of any car in its class as Bloomberg reported earlier this year because their fleet sales are far smaller than those of the Camry (2% vs. 16%); the Accord was the best selling passenger car of 2013 based on sales to individuals, ending the 11-year run at #1 for the Camry, although the Camry finished first overall atop the sales charts due to fleet sales, which hurts resale value, and especially for the Detroit Three.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive