Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 01:54 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,364,797 times

Advertisements

Why I don't think Toyota's overall reliability is going to be affected, in recent models, I've noticed that the interior materials seemed to have gotten a bit cheap-looking compared with years before. It's called "de-contenting" - a rational response to rising costs of petroleum-based parts. This situation however is not limited to Toyota. My wife's 2012 Civic also has a rather cheaper-looking dashboard and interior panels compared with the 2000 MY Civic she traded in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 04:41 PM

929 posts, read 2,725,240 times
I much perfer Car Companies based in the USA.
BUT, the big Asian Car Companies do a good job, and have done a good job holding their part suppliers accountable.
The big 3 here in the USA either didnt at all, or did a very poor job with this, they kept putting the same crappy part on and on. A great example is Chrysler/Dodge Mini Vans from 1996 to 2000, many evaporator coils and window regulators, over and over, same parts failing over and over. The Asian Companies would recall the effected cars, swap out the part, and go after the orginal supplier.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:00 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,233,018 times
I dunno about all that but after driving two camry's as my main transportation for the last 21 years (92 and now a 99) and still rolling, it's real, real, real, real unlikely ill buy any other car let alone, manufacturer other THAN Toyota the next time around. But hey, maybe I'll get that not necessary extended warranty next time. Happy now?

Buy a American anything over a Toyota? Please.....it's almost laughable.....

Old 04-16-2013, 05:08 PM

P.S.

I'll actually pay more for a Toyota over any American car, hands down. How much? Up to 20%. Why? My time is worth more than that spent over and over and over again at American dealerships watching them trying to get it right on my nickel.

Why buy misery?

My 99? 13.5 yrs and 182,500 miles and still rolling. No oil burn, 31/31mpg on highway, original auto trans that shifts like new, AC never went down, no broken door handles, never lost a power window, beautiful paint. Oh, the starter did go out at 11.2 years but, I am in outside sales...so there's...that....after that, on my second battery, original alternator, tires, brakes, and routine flushes.....did I mention the AC will freeze you out of the car?

American? ROFLMAO!!!!!!

Old 04-16-2013, 05:41 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,913,908 times
Toyota does build quality cars. Exciting? No. But I just need to get to work everyday and my Toyota leaves me with no worries. They are great cars, but you still need to maintain them.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:17 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,586,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
P.S.

I'll actually pay more for a Toyota over any American car, hands down. How much? Up to 20%. Why? My time is worth more than that spent over and over and over again at American dealerships watching them trying to get it right on my nickel.

Why buy misery?

My 99? 13.5 yrs and 182,500 miles and still rolling. No oil burn, 31/31mpg on highway, original auto trans that shifts like new, AC never went down, no broken door handles, never lost a power window, beautiful paint. Oh, the starter did go out at 11.2 years but, I am in outside sales...so there's...that....after that, on my second battery, original alternator, tires, brakes, and routine flushes.....did I mention the AC will freeze you out of the car?

American? ROFLMAO!!!!!!
Same with my Taurus except it's two years older and has roughly 10,000 more miles.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:14 PM

16,395 posts, read 30,300,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
Same with my Taurus except it's two years older and has roughly 10,000 more miles.

Don't hold up the Ford Taurus OF ANY ERA as the bastion of American reliability. I have never seen ANY model that has had the problems with disposable transmissions as the 1996-2005 models.

My friend built a new transmission shop AND PAID FOR IT in four years just repairing blown Taurus and Windstar transmissions.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:21 AM

20,294 posts, read 37,205,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
For the last 4 years in a row, Toyota has given a massive recall of their cars for defective parts or crappy assembly. Now they have just recalled another 1.7 million vechiles on top of all the other recalls they have experienced the last 4 years. Thsi recall also includes Honda and Nissan. This is their first major recall.

QUESTION?
Do ya'll think TOYOTA is falling into the same trap American car companies did when they were labeled the BIGGEST CAR Manufacturer in the world. Is TOYOTA more interested in selling the most cars today instead of putting out cars that last like they used too. Every year since 2009 when they took over GM as the biggest car company/sales, they get a massive recall on their products.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireS...ecall-18929787
Toyota, Honda and Nissan are recalling more than 3 million vehicles globally for an identical problem with air bags on the passenger side whose inflator may burst, sending plastic pieces flying.

No injuries have been reported related to the problem.

The recall for air bags made by Japan's Takata Corp. affects other automakers including non-Japanese manufacturers, Takata spokeswoman Akiko Watanabe said Thursday. She declined to give details.

Toyota Motor Corp. is recalling 1.7 million vehicles, with some 580,000 in North America, another 490,000 in Europe and 320,000 in Japan. Affected models include the Corolla, Tundra, Lexus SC, produced between November 2000 and March 2004.
Well, this is the way I see it, regardless of automobile brand: I am better off by a company that performs any recalls needed for matters of safety. I am not the one who has to pay for the recalls and maintenance, but the automobile manufacturer.

In my view Toyota is covering its bases after the problem it had with the unintended acceleration, which by the way, has been a problem in the past with other automobile manufacturers that never recalled their vehicles.

But I do like the Ford F-150, specially the ones in the '80s with the 300-inline six.
----------
Almost forgot: the later recall relates to Toyota, Subaru, (and I forgot which one else), plus a lot more:
http://autos.aol.com/info/recall/

Old 04-17-2013, 07:08 PM

There have been some exceptionally good detroit products over the last 3 decades that are worthy of mention. One was the 4.9 liter straight 6, the 300 CID you mention. What it lacked in get up and go and top end it made up for in spades with its longevity and low end torque. It was an incredibly good engine. I believe ford relegated those to agricultural duty after 1996.

THEY were a perfectvengine for those that wanted a simple workhorse engine. And while it didn't offset the weaknesses of the rest of the truck too numerous to mention, the motor was brilliantly simple. It seems whenever one of the auto manufacturers makes something right they find a way to kill it. The Chrysler, yes, Chrysler slant 6, 225 inthe 70's found in the dart and vans was a good motor as well. Simple with good longevity.

It seems they could make another great STRAIGHT 6 with railed fuel injection once more for those of us who would pay a slight premium for reliability. I'm not sure they understand that buyers are keeping cars longer as wages are not keeping pace with car prices. More and more of us are considering keeping cars much longer than before. While planned obsolescence has never strayed far from the minds of all US manufacturers, they would be well served to think like Toyota who spent 30 years convincing me they were the right choice.

I am not alone. In 1990 GM products were 62% of the products on the road. Today? 22% give or take. 22 year slide towards oblivion. If the shrinking 3 would go back to making a more reliable product with a good, simple engine and automatic transmission I think they could start to reverse the trend. Use technology to meet the EPA numbers and accept a 10-15 year stint in the consumer woodshed until you get things right. Steal toyotas best and brightest, raise the white flag, and start to copy their success. Hyundai did and in 25 years they went from laughable to a real contender and definitely winners of most improved award?

Until THAT day, it's Toyota across the board. I own the 99 Camry, soon to get my third after the last 21 years on the last two (daughter needs a car, guessvwhatbshe is getting?) as I pass his one down. Starting the NEXT generation off right. Again, big shrinking three, you forgot we, the consumers, are teaching the next generation of buyers to avoid you at all cost, not your commercials and dealer networks. Word of mouth is a....biotch? A2008 Siena (OUTSTANDING VEHICLE, BEAUUUUUTIFUL V6), 04 dodge quad cab with issues, 01 f150 with electrical issues, and a 99 maxima. Japs are winning 3-2 and it looks very much like my trucks will be replaced with a Tacoma and tundra respectively.

The shrinking three need to go back to work and make good products backed by no BS guarantees and quit being pension companies that make cars part-time.

Toyota, oh what a feeling! The former big 3? Na na na naaah, hey hey hey, goooooood bye...

Old 04-17-2013, 07:56 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,328,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
THEY were a perfectvengine for those that wanted a simple workhorse engine. And while it didn't offset the weaknesses of the rest of the truck too numerous to mention, the motor was brilliantly simple. It seems whenever one of the auto manufacturers makes something right they find a way to kill it. The Chrysler, yes, Chrysler slant 6, 225 inthe 70's found in the dart and vans was a good motor as well. Simple with good longevity.
The Mopar 225-cu-in slant-six engine was available for quite a few years. From 1960 and well into the '80s and possibly even the '90s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive