Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 11:58 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,259,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
There is a reason for that. Check the parts numbers. You'll be VERY surprised at what's inside the differentials of most of those cars (Here's a little hint for you. It's the same parts as inside the differentials of the 1/2 ton pickups.).
Which is what I said. Did you not read my post?

And for the record, I don't believe anything on any of these vehicles would surprise me. I wasted most of my youth tearing apart old Chevies and putting them back together (with varying levels of success).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 01:19 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,037,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Which is what I said. Did you not read my post?

And for the record, I don't believe anything on any of these vehicles would surprise me. I wasted most of my youth tearing apart old Chevies and putting them back together (with varying levels of success).
You said, "you're not making much of a point here." Perhaps not to you, because I was obviously preaching to the choir.

Unfortunately, there are obviously those among us who are completely and totally uninformed about what these old wagons were, and how they were built.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
You said, "you're not making much of a point here." Perhaps not to you, because I was obviously preaching to the choir.

Unfortunately, there are obviously those among us who are completely and totally uninformed about what these old wagons were, and how they were built.
In the post I quoted, you pointed out that the wagons could be expected tow as much as half-ton trucks in part because they use the same wheels and differentials.

I pointed out that Chevy Novas also use the same wheels and differentials as wagons and half-ton trucks.

Since nobody in their right mind would expect a Chevy Nova with the 230 six-cylinder to pull a 7,000 pound trailer, then the wheels and differential obviously aren't a significant factor in the equation.

Therefore, your point about the wheels and differential doesn't really advance your argument about the towing capacity of big wagons vs. half-ton trucks. That's what I was getting at.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
In the post I quoted, you pointed out that the wagons could be expected tow as much as half-ton trucks in part because they use the same wheels and differentials.

I pointed out that Chevy Novas also use the same wheels and differentials as wagons and half-ton trucks.

Since nobody in their right mind would expect a Chevy Nova with the 230 six-cylinder to pull a 7,000 pound trailer, then the wheels and differential obviously aren't a significant factor in the equation.

Therefore, your point about the wheels and differential doesn't really advance your argument about the towing capacity of big wagons vs. half-ton trucks. That's what I was getting at.
Actually, this is what I said. I'll quote it. "There's quite a difference between what you can pull, and what you can safely and reasonably tow."

My dad owned a 1956 1/2 ton Chevy pickup with a 235 cid 6-cylinder engine. Same drive-train as your Nova (they were both 235s, by the way). Could he "pull" 7,000 lbs with it? Yes, in "creeper gear," and with weight in the box of the pickup. We pulled 150 bushel wagons full of corn in from the field on a regular basis (you can do the math on that one, to determine gross weight). However, we would NEVER have tried to go lumbering down the road pulling that load.

Now... Throw a 455 Olds V8, and TH400 tranny in that same pickup - with a curb weight of 3,200 lbs and think of what you could PULL. Or throw that same drivetrain in a huge station wagon, that has a curb weight of 5,000 lbs, and think of what it can PULL - or even TOW.

Again, as I said, "there's quite a difference between what you can pull, and what you can safely and reasonably tow."

Old 04-10-2013, 01:47 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times
Quote:

Since you're some danged knowledgeable - and argumentative - tell me EXACTLY what the difference was between the frame of an old Caprice Classic Estate Wagon, and a Chevy 1/2 pickup of the same vintage.
While I'm agreeing with you about using trucks to tow with, there is a pretty significant difference between the pickup chassis and the station wagon chassis. The wagons used a perimeter frame, like so:

while the pickups used a heavily crossmembered ladder frame, like so:

Both are '72s by the way.

When viewed fom the top, the truck frame is straight lines, made of thicker material, and has more and heavier crossmembers to spread the load.

The car does not use a half ton frame. As evidenced again by my half ton shortbed project truck

Old 04-10-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Actually, this is what I said. I'll quote it. "There's quite a difference between what you can pull, and what you can safely and reasonably tow."
Sure you did. But you also said this:

Quote:
Some of the differentials from the big Chevy wagons actually interchanged with some from the half-tone pickups, for crying out loud. The same rims & tires go on an old Chevy wagon, as on their half-ton 2WD pickups.
That's what I was responding to.

Quote:
My dad owned a 1956 1/2 ton Chevy pickup with a 235 cid 6-cylinder engine. Same drive-train as your Nova (they were both 235s, by the way).
First off, "my" Nova had a 350.

The Nova never came with the 235. It was discontinued in 1963. The first Nova 6 was the 194, then they went to the 230, then the 250.

You're not helping yourself here.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
While I'm agreeing with you about using trucks to tow with, there is a pretty significant difference between the pickup chassis and the station wagon chassis. The wagons used a perimeter frame, like so:

while the pickups used a heavily crossmembered ladder frame, like so:

Both are '72s by the way.

When viewed fom the top, the truck frame is straight lines, made of thicker material, and has more and heavier crossmembers to spread the load.

The car does not use a half ton frame. As evidenced again by my half ton shortbed project truck
Why are you posting a picture of the frame for a Chevelle? You are aware, aren't you, that that is NOT the same car as the huge station wagons?

Old 04-10-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
First off, "my" Nova had a 350.

The Nova never came with the 235. It was discontinued in 1963. The first Nova 6 was the 194, then they went to the 230, then the 250.

You're not helping yourself here.
You are aware, aren't you, that 1962 was the first year for the Nova, and that the 194 was ONE OF the engine options?

Old 04-10-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
You are aware, aren't you, that 1962 was the first year for the Nova, and that the 194 was ONE OF the engine options?
Yes. It was one of two options. The other was the Iron Duke. 235 wasn't available. Please give it up.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Why are you posting a picture of the frame for a Chevelle? You are aware, aren't you, that that is NOT the same car as the huge station wagons?
You're right, that is an A-body frame. I believe Merc only posted that photo as a representative of the perimeter frame. This is an actual Caprice frame:

Basically the same as the A-Body, just a little longer and wider.

Last edited by duster1979; 04-10-2013 at 02:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive