Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 09:36 AM

2,341 posts, read 12,065,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
^ trailers have breaks too so that is kind of moot.

Yes some were very powerful but they had low tow ratings.
No, it's really not a moot point at all. They had/have load levelers & hitch stabilizers, and all sorts of other things. But that's not the same as towing with a 1-ton dually, or even a 3/4 ton truck.

Basically, those behemoth wagons were a half-ton 2WD pickup, with really powerful engines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 09:59 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,185,717 times
It is as the brakes on the trailer will stop the trailer from pushing the TV.(tow Vehicle)

Then it should be no problem to find the tow ratings and post them so you can back up what your saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
No, it's really not a moot point at all. They had/have load levelers & hitch stabilizers, and all sorts of other things. But that's not the same as towing with a 1-ton dually, or even a 3/4 ton truck.

Basically, those behemoth wagons were a half-ton 2WD pickup, with really powerful engines.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
It is as the brakes on the trailer will stop the trailer from pushing the TV.(tow Vehicle)

Then it should be no problem to find the tow ratings and post them so you can back up what your saying.
You're welcome to go argue with somebody else. Seems as though that's all you want to do.

Meanwhile, I'll post pictures of two vehicles - one of which has more horsepower and torque than the other. You can decide with one you'd rather use to two a lowboy with a small dozer.

Country Squire, with a 460 cid V8.

My 1-ton dually with a 350 cid V8.

Take all the time you'd like...

Old 04-10-2013, 10:36 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,641,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Well, actually, while they towed a 7000 lb trailer reasonably well, they didn't really have the brakes to repeatedly stop them, and were getting to max capacity for hills. I'd rather tow with something that has capcity in reserve for hills (both up AND down) and isn't working so hard to tow with.

I've towed with one of those old wagons (a 455 powered Pontiac Safari) and I much prefer my current Diesel 3500 to tow the trailer with:

It's just safer.

The problem with the old station wagons is they could not handle the tongue weight of a large trailer. The smooth riding soft suspension of a station wagon is not well suited to handle high trailer tongue weights.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:39 AM

Nice way to "duck" the Q GarageLogic and you post no relative or useful info.
Like this nonsense "Basically, those behemoth wagons were a half-ton 2WD pickup, with really powerful engines."
When "basically"" they were built on a car chassis. and a behemoth engine does not automatically equate to a high tow rating.

The if you can comprehend my posts,
You would be agreeing with me as a large truck is more suited to towing a heavy load that a wagon is.
When did I even come close to insinuating a wagon is better suited to tow heavy?

So I'll do it for you.
The 350 Vista Cruiser is rated for class 2 towing- up to 3500 pounds.
The 455 equipped Vistas can tow up to 5000 pounds with the proper equipment.
Notice the lower right paragraph.

Last edited by snofarmer; 04-10-2013 at 10:50 AM..

Old 04-10-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Nice way to "duck" the Q GarageLogic and you post no relative or useful info.
Like this nonsense "Basically, those behemoth wagons were a half-ton 2WD pickup, with really powerful engines."
Nonsense? How about not being stupid?

Again, you're more than welcome to keep arguing, since apparently that's all you can do.

The FACT is that these old station wagons were built on big full-length steel frames - same as pickups. They had huge V8 engines, 3 speed auto trannies, and a half-ton pickup differential - same as pickups. Some of the differentials from the big Chevy wagons actually interchanged with some from the half-tone pickups, for crying out loud. The same rims & tires go on an old Chevy wagon, as on their half-ton 2WD pickups. But they're "totally different"?

What, about that, are you not capable of understanding? Good lord...

Mehhh... Never mind. You'll just come up with yet another inane argument, just so you can keep arguing.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:37 AM

get it straight, cars back then were built of frames, few unibodys.
The CARS that that were used to put the station-wagon body's on did have frames, these frames were not taken from 1/2 ton trucks, but from other cars of the day.

So stop being stupid as you say...

So keep dogging the Q and relying on your false assumptions.

They had big engines, so what, a lot of cars from that era did.
That does not make them the same as a truck nor the use of the rear diff.
And the low tow ratings don't support a car body on a trucks chassis.

We can cite high HP cars from today too, they also have low tow ratings.
next,

How about you not being able to back up what you say?
I can, and have, you can easily find where they say that they were built on car chassis.

So stop your arguing...

Quote:
Nonsense? How about not being stupid?

Again, you're more than welcome to keep arguing, since apparently that's all you can do.

The FACT is that these old station wagons were built on big full-length steel frames - same as pickups. They had huge V8 engines, 3 speed auto trannies, and a half-ton pickup differential - same as pickups. Some of the differentials from the big Chevy wagons actually interchanged with some from the half-tone pickups, for crying out loud. The same rims & tires go on an old Chevy wagon, as on their half-ton 2WD pickups. But they're "totally different"?

What, about that, are you not capable of understanding? Good lord...

Mehhh... Never mind. You'll just come up with yet another inane argument, just so you can keep arguing.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:39 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,305,436 times
Quote:
Some of the differentials from the big Chevy wagons actually interchanged with some from the half-tone pickups, for crying out loud. The same rims & tires go on an old Chevy wagon, as on their half-ton 2WD pickups.
The wheels and differentials are also interchangeable with a six-cylinder Nova, so I'm not sure that you're really making much of a point here.....

Old 04-10-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
get it straight, cars back then were built of frames, few unibodys.
The CARS that that were used to put the station-wagon body's on did have frames, these frames were not taken from 1/2 ton trucks, but from other cars of the day.
Who said anything about uni-bodies?

Since you're some danged knowledgeable - and argumentative - tell me EXACTLY what the difference was between the frame of an old Caprice Classic Estate Wagon, and a Chevy 1/2 pickup of the same vintage.

I want details, and exact specifications.

In addition - although you are POSITIVE that they're entirely different vehicles, some of them had the exact same differentials. The parts even interchange.

But yeah, they're TOTALLY different, aren't they?

Old 04-10-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
The wheels and differentials are also interchangeable with a six-cylinder Nova, so I'm not sure that you're really making much of a point here.....
There is a reason for that. Check the parts numbers. You'll be VERY surprised at what's inside the differentials of most of those cars (Here's a little hint for you. It's the same parts as inside the differentials of the 1/2 ton pickups.).

As long as you're comparing, do some other suspension cross-referencing. You'll find that front wheel bearings, etc. are the same. Steering components, suspension, etc.? Mostly identical.

I'm really not sure why this is such a surprise to so many people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive