Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 06:36 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,293,074 times

Advertisements

Not really directly related to a make of car, but it does deal with cars. This is a video of a super high speed chase in our historic downtown district on February 15, 2013. The videos speak for themselves. It sends chills down my spine and amazed that one person died, as this is a street that a lot of people walk on. I have personally walked on this street when going into restaurants and shops. The footage is either from downtown cameras or police dash cams: The speed limit on this road is 25 mph, he was going nearly 80 mph. He was a local man, but the car had Ohio license plates.

This street is on the Tennessee - Virginia state line. One side is Virginia and the other is Tennessee.

:46 is where the car makes it first impact - he hits a minivan - that man is now in a wheelchair.

RAW VIDEO: State Street chase | News - Home

Another video:

Deadly crash on State Street | News - Home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 07:16 PM

21,975 posts, read 25,334,662 times
So they guy in the minivan is in a wheelchair? Any idea as the severity of his injuries?

Makes you wish the guy had crashed into a tree or something rather than hurt someone. Still, it could have been a lot worse... rain, limited visibility. At least he only killed himself.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:54 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,176,728 times
The static camera view of the impact is pretty astonishing when you see how much distance he covers in a split second. Traveling at 70-80mph on the highway, you don't realize just how quickly you're moving in relation to objects at rest.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:20 PM

15,467 posts, read 25,915,429 times
I wish I could see it, but the video doesn't work here.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:31 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,293,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
So they guy in the minivan is in a wheelchair? Any idea as the severity of his injuries?

Makes you wish the guy had crashed into a tree or something rather than hurt someone. Still, it could have been a lot worse... rain, limited visibility. At least he only killed himself.
Yeah and he was just setting parked on the side of the road when the car hit him. It crumpled up the passenger cage area and caused most of the injuries to his legs. I only caught a glimpse of it on our local news, hopefully he will make a full recovery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
The static camera view of the impact is pretty astonishing when you see how much distance he covers in a split second. Traveling at 70-80mph on the highway, you don't realize just how quickly you're moving in relation to objects at rest.
Yeah, when I watch that video at :46 it is mind boggling to me to see how fast he is going. I guess what makes it seem so unreal to me is this is a street that I have driven on several times in my life and I still occasionally take that route when driving to my grandparents (I also have lived here all of my life, so its a road I have traveled on all of my life you could say) - and I think that 22 mph is about the fastest I have ever went on that street. Its a road that most of the time you have to go 15-20 mph on due to heavy traffic and people walking, as there are a lot of shops, restaurants, clubs, theaters, coffee shops and even loft apartments down there. At night there are usually a lot of people walking the sidewalks and crossing the crosswalks down there, it amazes me that he didn't kill more people considering the speed. It was a cold rainy night, which may have been a blessing since it probably helped in not having a lot of people out that night. When the video first starts, up until about :33, its an area where as many people don't walk on the streets, but when you get to where :33 is in the video, that is the historic part of downtown and the road narrows... even going over 30 down through there is pretty fast... I cant imagine 80 mph. They said this guys alcohol level was 4X past the legal limit.

Old 04-06-2013, 06:10 AM

792 posts, read 2,882,523 times
I would change the title of the post to this:

High speed police chase through crowded downtown endangers local populace.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:20 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,801,442 times
What was that red car? Maybe an Achieva?

Old 04-06-2013, 09:28 AM

21,975 posts, read 25,334,662 times
The whole thing took about 30 seconds. The guy drove into a pole at 12th & State and hit the minivan about a half a mile down the street. Not much of a pursuit. It's possible had the police just watched him drive off he would have slowed down in the 30 seconds it took, or a pedestrian might have walked across the street not hearing any sirens. It's all conjuncture, even if the guy didn't have a BAC of .3+. It isn't like this was a protracted pursuit through an urban area.

Guy in the minivan was released from the hospital to a rehab facility, so he's not critical... hopefully not paralyzed.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:22 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,114,109 times
According to his obituary he was a nascar fan.

Old 04-06-2013, 12:41 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,254,384 times
"I'm Sheriff John Bunnell..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive