Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 12:13 PM

3,528 posts, read 6,537,863 times

Advertisements

I towed my car to a body shop after an accident since they were my insurance company's preferred body shop. I gave them the go-ahead for repairs and they said it would take about 2.5 weeks. It's now three weeks and they said it will take at least 3-4 more working days before it's done.

I'm not going to get upset, because these things happen. I got broadsided and both doors need to be replaced along with both quarter panels and the rear bumper. They said the dashboard had some problems too. I'm new at this and I didn't realize they have to paint the exterior parts when they get them.

Some people might just assume that any car-related business is crooked. But they are the preferred shop by my insurance which must mean something. I'm sure every job takes a different amount of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 12:21 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,481,854 times
There is a lot of work that goes into major collision. Also, keep in mind, the often dont start any work until the get all the parts. Then they schedule cars to be worked by employees. They have lots of cars, and time needs to be spread out.

It's no fun waiting. Sucks to drive by and see a car not getting worked on when you think it should but its how shops work.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:29 PM

3,528 posts, read 6,537,863 times
Insurance Note:

My insurance company did not send an adjustor to look at my car. The manager of the body shop looked at the car and evaluated it, and sent photos to the insurance company. They said the adjustor only comes out if there is a dispute about the damage.

I asked him why the car was stuck in drive gear, but he didn't know. It took longer than estimated but the car is fine.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:52 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,694,225 times
Unfortunately, estimating isn't an exact science because it's hard to know with 100% certainty, that everything is going to go exactly as planned. Things can be uncovered during the repair process, which require additional parts or labor. Occasionally that can mean that the car is totaled at some point well into the repair process. Also, in any repair, it's possible that a part shows up damaged or doesn't make it on the truck, or other little things that can interrupt repairs. If a part is needed before other repairs continue, then the car might be sitting for a few days with no work being done to it, while other work that can be completed, is. Obviously body shops attempt to factor in these issues when estimating, but it works in both directions. Some they get done ahead of time and make more money on one job, but get done late and make less on another.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:01 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,187,542 times
You'll sometimes see parts that are on backorder, but (GM for example) only stocks uni-sides in Lansing, and if you're in TX it's a solid week. The uni-side is of course an inner structural component that the shop must install before any other outer components can be installed; same goes for something like frame rails, etc.

It all boils down to communication in our business - each party must communicate with the next, and hope that the insurance company follows through with you, the customer. If the insurance company is paying for a rental, things seem to get done faster for some reason.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:16 PM

799 posts, read 2,442,664 times
Our sales guy wrecked a 2012 Chevy 2500 crew cab...shop had it for 150 days. Longest job that body shop ever had. Insurance company dragged their feet every time something else needed to be approved. Then the shop made a mistake, and used a panel from an earlier year truck that the "system" claims was the same. The truck was painted and final trim was being put on before anyone noticed the difference. Insurance company made them start over.

40k truck with less than 10k should have been totalled when it was all said and done.

So, at least you arent dealing with that.

Old 08-30-2015, 02:56 PM

3,159 posts, read 2,736,335 times
Maybe the guy who was working on the car got canned or quit before he could finish it, and nobody else in the shop wants to finish/clean up the mess.

Old 08-30-2015, 03:16 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,130,710 times
Most times it's trying to get oem parts, they can be on back order and it also depends in what part of the country you live. Most parts for the big 3 are in warehouses in Michigan.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:11 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,246,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
Most times it's trying to get oem parts, they can be on back order and it also depends in what part of the country you live. Most parts for the big 3 are in warehouses in Michigan.
I *nearly* totaled an '80 Subaru when it was about a month old. It was a new model for the year, and parts had to come from Japan, or so I was told. It took 6+ months to get the parts in and installed! Meanwhile, the insurance company was paying for me to rent a car all that time, so in the end it would have been cheaper for them to replace the car and push my wrecked one into a crusher. I'd tried to talk the adjuster into totaling it, but he said the damage was just under the threshold. (That was BEFORE they paid for 6 months of rentals at $3,600!) I'd paid $8,000 for it (list price), and iirc the repair estimate came in at $6500.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:16 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,130,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I *nearly* totaled an '80 Subaru when it was about a month old. It was a new model for the year, and parts had to come from Japan, or so I was told. It took 6+ months to get the parts in and installed! Meanwhile, the insurance company was paying for me to rent a car all that time, so in the end it would have been cheaper for them to replace the car and push my wrecked one into a crusher. I'd tried to talk the adjuster into totaling it, but he said the damage was just under the threshold. (That was BEFORE they paid for 6 months of rentals at $3,600!) I'd paid $8,000 for it (list price), and iirc the repair estimate came in at $6500.
That's ok they will get some of that money back when they raise your rates because of the accident be it your fault or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive