Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 09:18 PM

7,785 posts, read 6,404,338 times

Advertisements

Some insurance companies insist on cheap aftermarket parts which can be a problem when they don't fit right.

Body parts always come in prime, never color.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2015, 09:29 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,251,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
That's ok they will get some of that money back when they raise your rates because of the accident be it your fault or not.
I'm pretty sure my rates never increased. My insurance company wasn't involved.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:18 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,940,257 times
There is estimate and then there are real work. There are times when a body shop start a repair and find additional damages that needs additional approval or parts. As long as the shop is giving me realistic timeline, you should be fine. I have a prefer shop that I work with for the past 15 years and they are my go to folks.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:51 AM

19,070 posts, read 27,655,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
I towed my car to a body shop after an accident since they were my insurance company's preferred body shop. I gave them the go-ahead for repairs and they said it would take about 2.5 weeks. It's now three weeks and they said it will take at least 3-4 more working days before it's done.

I'm not going to get upset, because these things happen. I got broadsided and both doors need to be replaced along with both quarter panels and the rear bumper. They said the dashboard had some problems too. I'm new at this and I didn't realize they have to paint the exterior parts when they get them.

Some people might just assume that any car-related business is crooked. But they are the preferred shop by my insurance which must mean something. I'm sure every job takes a different amount of time.

Robert, here's wisdom for you, learned after 32 years in the USA.

Whatever time frame they give you, you automatically multiply it times 1.5.

This goes for any business or health care or whatever. That's how things spin here. I am practice manager myself and if it happens faster, we say amen. But, usually, there is so many factors and middle men involved that staying on promised time is rather unrealistic.

Old 09-02-2015, 06:59 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,943,844 times
Also no body shop does EVERYTHING itself.. Some times they have to send parts to another shop that specializes in certain areas.. Also the insurance company needs to be notified each time something is found and then they have to approve it before work continues.... And let's not forget the time it takes to "cure" paint, primer, body fill etc......Then the final sand, cut, polish.. And if there is an imperfection then it goes back to be resprayed and starts forward again....

Old 09-02-2015, 07:37 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,924,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
I towed my car to a body shop after an accident since they were my insurance company's preferred body shop. I gave them the go-ahead for repairs and they said it would take about 2.5 weeks. It's now three weeks and they said it will take at least 3-4 more working days before it's done.

I'm not going to get upset, because these things happen. I got broadsided and both doors need to be replaced along with both quarter panels and the rear bumper. They said the dashboard had some problems too. I'm new at this and I didn't realize they have to paint the exterior parts when they get them.

Some people might just assume that any car-related business is crooked. But they are the preferred shop by my insurance which must mean something. I'm sure every job takes a different amount of time.
Even with your insurance prefered body shop a adjuster has to inspect which can take a week even if you signed. Then some repairs require adjustment for unknown things and some insurance make you wait for adjuster to approve that. Often when your car is towed I it gets behind repairs already in line with disassembly; body repair;paint shop then reassembly. Now days its a job because most insurance do not want to approve storage until tis gets in the repair line. Painting involves blending in with older paint effected by sun etc unless a total repaint. Good body men and painters work 8 hour days normally and they are not cheap. No shop can have them idle waiting to repair your car pending insurance approval or waiting on parts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive