Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 03:32 PM

19,092 posts, read 27,673,713 times

Advertisements

Btw, Picasa needs to be downloaded and installed? That's another reason not to use it. Google spies on everyone and everything. No, not LECTURING, just friendly warning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
Well yeah, so you screwed up a bit. We all have.

Anywhoo...

If it were my van, and the repairs could be done merely for the price of the parts, I'd fix it. That's assuming there is no frame damage that cannot be fixed simply by replacing parts.

Are there any "U-Pull-It Salvage Yards" in your area? I have several local ones that I walk through on a regular basis, and have snagged a lot of cheap parts for cars I've rebuilt.

Any money you can get from your friend will be a bonus, though I'd bet you won't get much.

In the end, if you can get your van fixed and on the road again - and can do so for very little money - you're money ahead.

Ditto for the most part. Personally, if I can get a bumper skirt off ebay for $60 - which I did not so long ago for my son's Eclipse - it can be a very daunting task to find a matching part on junk yards. Car manufacturers are VERY particular about making them very non-compatible even between the same vehicles made several months apart. A LOT of their business is coming from parts sales. I remember how much time I wasted trying to find bumper skirt for my 91 Sable - and nothing fit. Either mounting was different, or headlights don't fit, or color is wrong. It builds up into a lot of money, driving around like this. Cheap places like Certifit Certifit Online are likely to be more cost efficient, unless you are lucky enough. Of course, you have to have one nearby. But then there's ebay also. Radiators - forty bucks new.. Can't beat that.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:42 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,177,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Sorry, brother. That was not intended. Lecturing. Get the pictures going and let's take a good look at it.Several gunshots were heard, but no one was able to provide suspect information about the shooter or shooters.
I uploaded them to Picasa and set it to public, is there a better way? It's downloaded and installed on my computer. Am open to more user-friendly alternatives! And sorry for being such a doofus in the photo-posting department.

Garage-Logic I don't know from "U-Pull-It Salvage Yards". I'm in SE MI and all I know is I've called several used parts places in the metro Detroit area with no joy.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:50 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,177,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Ditto for the most part. Personally, if I can get a bumper skirt off ebay for $60 - which I did not so long ago for my son's Eclipse - it can be a very daunting task to find a matching part on junk yards. Car manufacturers are VERY particular about making them very non-compatible even between the same vehicles made several months apart. A LOT of their business is coming from parts sales. I remember how much time I wasted trying to find bumper skirt for my 91 Sable - and nothing fit. Either mounting was different, or headlights don't fit, or color is wrong. It builds up into a lot of money, driving around like this. Cheap places like Certifit Certifit Online are likely to be more cost efficient, unless you are lucky enough. Of course, you have to have one nearby. But then there's ebay also. Radiators - forty bucks new.. Can't beat that.
Thanks...I don't even care if the parts match my van color as long as I don't end up with 12 different paint colors LOL and as I understand 2001 parts are compatible with several other years.
Ultimately I am more concerned with utility than appearance...it's a 13-year-old minivan after all.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:59 PM

24,512 posts, read 26,056,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I uploaded them to Picasa and set it to public, is there a better way? It's downloaded and installed on my computer. Am open to more user-friendly alternatives! And sorry for being such a doofus in the photo-posting department.
See if this helps.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/8...ing-posts.html

Old 02-10-2013, 04:00 PM

yes, you missed my post.
and you are not a doofus, just too trustworthy. That's buty of life - it has mysterious - and PAINFUL - ways of teaching us.

no. Spend a minute or 2, and go to photobucket. strike membership, or at tinypic. also works well. Then, upload your photo - you can simply drag and drop - then click on uploaded pic. to the right of it, you will see 4 different types of links. click on one that says image code. it will automatically copy it for you. go back here and paste it.

have my word - more and more pages of everyone's guess is not worth one decent picture.

Old 02-10-2013, 04:15 PM

17,379 posts, read 22,137,311 times
I just went through this with a 2004 85k mile Chevy pickup. Insurance wanted to total it, truck had $4500 in damage. Needed hood, bumper, grill, radiator....no fenders, no glass, no frame work. I put the truck back together, the danger being if anything else major broke then I just spent more than the truck was worth. I owned it since new, employees have driven it since day one but I knew the maintenance history was good, no reason to buy another one for 20k and start with a payment book.

Truck has gone 18k miles with no issues other than a set of tires.....but on an older, rusty minivan I wouldn't take the gamble.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:31 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,287,629 times
If you had full coverage the insurance company would set the threshold at ~80% of value. So if the car was worth 2 grand they would go up to about $1600 before totaling. Otherwise the nature of the damage doesn't mean anything to them, it's only a number. In your case if there isn't structural damage it's basically a judgement call on your part. There is something to be said for the devil you know when you are talking about older cars.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:37 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,879,956 times
You can look online for parts on Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market for a salvage yard that is close to you with them. I saw fenders from $50 in MI. And there is a Ryan's Pick a Part in the Detroit area. There are usually several Villagers and Nissan Quest minivans in our local pick a part yards. It looks like the parts from a 1999 to 2002 will fit on your van according the car-part.

Good luck with it. We had a 95 Villager, great little minivan. We sold it to my BIL in 03 with 80K miles and it is still running now with about 190K miles on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive