Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 03:04 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,971,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
It could be her financial history, or it could be that the salesman sold her on the amount of payment she could afford and then found her a loan that would make the payment that high. Banks generally pay dealerships a commission when they sell a customer financing, and I'm betting the commission on a 23% loan is a lot higher than the commission on a 2.3% loan.
Quite possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 03:11 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,767,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
It could be her financial history, or it could be that the salesman sold her on the amount of payment she could afford and then found her a loan that would make the payment that high. Banks generally pay dealerships a commission when they sell a customer financing, and I'm betting the commission on a 23% loan is a lot higher than the commission on a 2.3% loan.
It's actually not. The commission or "dealer reserve" is generally a flat amount regardless of the rate of the loan. The dealer ends up with the same cut (can be anywhere from 1%-4%, with some states capping it at 2.5%) regardless of the total rate of the loan. So, a 6% loan could actually be a 3.5% loan with a dealer reserve of 2.5% which is the exact same thing to the dealer as a 23% loan that is actually a 20.5% loan with a dealer reserve of 2.5%.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:12 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,367,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
I am betting on it being a financial history issue. A 23% loan is pretty common in the high risk loan fields. In Texas, 27% is the cap. There are numerous financial companies to which these sort of loans are their bread and butter.
That's actually not quite right, the legal limit the finance company can charge is 24.99%, 27% must be if you include what a dealer might add on (they can legally add up to 3%)

And yes, we see people finance at that rate every single day, some people simply do not have any other choice.

Personally I think it should be illegal to charge anything over 10%, but that's just my opinion.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:14 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,367,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
It's actually not. The commission or "dealer reserve" is generally a flat amount regardless of the rate of the loan. The dealer ends up with the same cut (can be anywhere from 1%-4%, with some states capping it at 2.5%) regardless of the total rate of the loan. So, a 6% loan could actually be a 3.5% loan with a dealer reserve of 2.5% which is the exact same thing to the dealer as a 23% loan that is actually a 20.5% loan with a dealer reserve of 2.5%.
Yes, but at many traditional dealerships, the sales person is paid a commission based off the sale of a finance solution, not all financing companies yield the same commission, most sales people, when faced with uninformed customers will therefor select the finance approval where they get the best commission, not the one that necessarily best suits the customer.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:33 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,311,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
It's actually not. The commission or "dealer reserve" is generally a flat amount regardless of the rate of the loan. The dealer ends up with the same cut (can be anywhere from 1%-4%, with some states capping it at 2.5%) regardless of the total rate of the loan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
Yes, but at many traditional dealerships, the sales person is paid a commission based off the sale of a finance solution, not all financing companies yield the same commission, most sales people, when faced with uninformed customers will therefor select the finance approval where they get the best commission, not the one that necessarily best suits the customer.
Precisely. When I sold cars we got virtually nothing for financing a customer through Chrysler Financial, 1% through the local banks, and something over 2% when we dealt with lenders who specialize in high-interest loans for people with poor credit such as Household Bank.

Quote:
So, a 6% loan could actually be a 3.5% loan with a dealer reserve of 2.5% which is the exact same thing to the dealer as a 23% loan that is actually a 20.5% loan with a dealer reserve of 2.5%.
Not really. The dealership is paid a one-time lump-sum commission where the lender collects interest based on the daily (or weekly or monthly, depending how it's calculated) loan balance. So while subtracting the dealer's commission and considering it separately would lower the effective rate of the loan, the calculation isn't nearly as simple as subtracting the dealer's cut from the bank's interest rate.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:57 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,136,404 times
This is exactly why the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

To the OP... I don't know how old your mother is, but you need to help her. She obviously doesn't understand the financial impact of a 23% interest rate. If anything, you should apply for a personal loan and use the money to pay her car off, then have her make payments to you. It sounds like she probably wouldn't qualify on her own with a good interest rate. She'll pay off the car much quicker this way.

I'd suggest taking a look at all her accounts. I used to be in finance, I can't tell you how many times I've seen investment accounts, bank accounts, where people just have no clue what they are doing with their money. My own parents are about 70 yrs old now, I've had to start managing their money for them, because they are starting to get conned easier and easier with bad investment advice. Sounds like your mom needs someone to prevent her from getting into something that isn't in her best interest.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:54 PM

2,573 posts, read 3,509,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
Not necessarily. My car payment on a 2012 Grand Cherokee is about $490/mo at 2.4%. It's a $35K car, which is why I have a high-ish payment. At that low of a rate, there's no way I would pay out 35K in cash at once, I can find other things to do with the money that'll make more, my 401 or an IRA for one.

And for the record, not everyone drives a new car to make their neighbors jealous. I drive a new car because I wanted the new generation GC and not a 2005-2010, be da*ned what anyone else thinks!
This was for someone who is paying $48K for an $18K car.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:19 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,781,903 times
My guess would be that she has either no credit or a very low credit score. She is an adult, she signed the loan, it is not the lenders problem, no one forced her to sign the agreement.

If she had a doubt, she should have talked to someone who has more financial sense than she does.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:25 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,851,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaWasby View Post
I want to help my mother payoff her car note, but her story sounds a bit fishy to me.

Could someone with lots of car experience let me know if the following is possible… could someone REALLY get ripped off this badly or does it sound like my mother isn't being honest with me. I've always paid cash for older cars, so I don’t know the ropes when it comes to making monthly car notes.

Here it goes…

* In 2006, when she bought the car, the price tag price was $18,000.

* I think she said her interest rate was 23%.

* She paid a $1,000 down.

* Monthly payments were $490 for 6 years. $35,280 for 6 yrs + $1000 = $36,280 total.

* She’s paid a bit more than that on the car however. Maybe about $38,000 to $40,000.

And she said she still owes close to $7,000 on the car. Overall, she’s telling me that she’ll have to pay about $48,000 for a $18,000 car. $30,000 more than it is worth. Is this possible?
23% interest? Holy moly someone took her to the cleaners. "Brief History of Auto Finance
Rates at the auto finance companies fell considerably during the U.S. financial crisis in 2008 and 2009. In the fourth quarter of 2009, rates stood at 3.47 percent. That was a pretty marked decline. In 2005, rates averaged about 6 percent. They fell fairly quickly to 4.99 percent in 2006"

Old 02-06-2013, 05:49 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,117,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollydo View Post
My guess would be that she has either no credit or a very low credit score. She is an adult, she signed the loan, it is not the lenders problem, no one forced her to sign the agreement.

If she had a doubt, she should have talked to someone who has more financial sense than she does.
Buh-buh-butttttt....banks are EVIL. They take advantage of people who can't be expected to read the fine print. Personal responsibility is not required of someone to get a car loan. At least that's what Obama told me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive