Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Retired Brands
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2009, 05:38 PM

8 posts, read 78,969 times

Advertisements

I purchased a 2006 Mercury Mariner on August 14th and since then, have had numerous problems with it not wanting to start. Whenever I would turn the key, all the lights came on but there was no sound like it was trying to turn over. I took it to the shop and they changed the battery but still had the same problem. They thought it was the power-train control module and took it to the dealership to re-flash or re-program. Anyway, eventually I had the same problem. They finally discovered a loose connection wire to the starter and replaced that but when I went to pick the car up it wouldn't start! So, they told me that the automatic starter system was bad because my key fob wasn't working either. They removed the control starter system and gave me new key fobs that only lock/unlock the doors. I thought the problem was fixed because it's been running fine for two weeks now. Except, this morning it wouldn't start. This time the key wouldn't even turn and I discovered it was slightly bent. I tried my spare key and it did turn in the ignition but the engine wouldn't turn over and there was no noise or clicking like it was even trying to. I was wondering if it could be a similar problem as before. Is it a safety feature that immobilized my car because it couldn't read the bent key? I am so tired of taking this car to the shop...any suggestions would be extremely appreciated. I would like to trust the place I purchased this car from but at this point I have little to no faith in their technicians.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 06:25 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,135,150 times
Is it being paid for by you or dealer? Document the repair attempts and tell service manager that you need a free loaner while they figure it out. See what he says

Old 09-24-2009, 06:26 PM

17,210 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Sounds to me like you have bought a pig from a bunch of crooks. The bent key, I think, is just a mechanical problem with it not working the lock.

From what you describe, they are as incompetent as they are dishonest, hard to think the battery was at fault. But it's possible.

Bottom line, I would suspect the ignition switch, the wire to the solenoid (does this have the traditional Ford solenoid on the fender well under the hood?).

Matter of fact, if this does have the solenoid separate from the starter, typically you can use a screwdriver or similar to short between the big positive cable and the small positive pin that is normally actuated by the ignition switch, I would think if the ignition key was in the switch and turned to "run", the truck should start. This would work with older Fords.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
Is it being paid for by you or dealer? Document the repair attempts and tell service manager that you need a free loaner while they figure it out. See what he says
It was under warranty when all this was going on. They did give me a rental for free and paid for the towing the last time it was supposedly "fixed." I'm keeping track of all the repair attempts but my warranty has run out aside from the additional coverage on the repair work they've already done. Thanks for the advice.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Bottom line, I would suspect the ignition switch, the wire to the solenoid
Thanks, Mitch, for your comments. Yeah, I didn't think it was the battery either. I couldn't tell you about the solenoid though. I don't know anything about cars. I got home from work and tried to start it again and it's still doing the same thing. Thanks again.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:32 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,167,740 times
if you are JUST past your Ford warranty period, i would try another dealership. give them your sob story and see if they will try to get Ford to cover the cost under the 'good faith' clause. Ford will occassionally still honor the warranty if you're just over the expiration period.

Mike

Old 02-25-2012, 07:10 PM

1 posts, read 21,878 times
I was just wondering if you ever found out what the problem was. I am having the exact same issue with my 2010 Mariner

Old 01-05-2015, 09:01 PM

1 posts, read 16,715 times
It's most likely the solenoid. If it happens again, open your hood and slam it closed a couple times. If it starts with no problem after doing this. The solenoid will most definatly be the problem. Slamming the hood shut usually jars the solenoid enough to start it. Good luck.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:37 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
You may still have coverage as the problem happened while under warranty and has not been fixed. I would go soeak to the service manager.
Have them check the starter solenoid and connections also

Turning the key but no starter noise means the ignition signal is not getting to the starter solenoid. Next time. Pop the hood and lightly tap the starter solenoid body with a back of a screwdriver handle or something similar. Tap not beat.. Then try cranking it. If it starts you have a sticking solenoid. If it's like my ford the solenoid is on the pass side fender

Old 01-05-2015, 10:11 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
Considering the thread is 5 years old, I doubt they have the car anymore. You REALLY have to watch dates on threads at this website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Retired Brands