Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 02:39 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times

Advertisements

There are intersections where I always count to three after the light turns green. If you don't you stand a better than average chance of being hit by red light runners.

We have an intersection like the one mentioned in the OP. Two turn lanes leading to four lanes, two for the interstate and two for the cross street. We sit behind people in that far right lane that want to cross over the two interstate on ramp lanes to get to the cross street all the time. All the signs (3 sets) that show which lane goes where apparently aren't visible to them when they drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 02:49 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,709,383 times
People suck at driving, no biggie. If he pulls out a weapon then post on CD.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:58 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Just recite the first part of Psalm 58 verse 8.

It probably will not work, but it will make you feel better.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:22 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times
What annoys me here in Denver is how many people handle the solid green left-turn light in an intersection. I was taught to move forward out into the intersection and when the oncoming traffic clears, turn left. If it never clears, you're already out in the intersection, so go ahead and turn once the oncoming traffic stops. This means you actually turn after the light turns yellow, or even just turned red. But over and over I see people who won't pull out into the intersection and just sit there and let the light cycle through again

Old 02-06-2013, 04:26 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
Where I live we have intersections where you can almost always count 2-3 cars running the red light - sometimes two seconds after the cross traffic gets a green light. I travel through two of these intersections at least twice daily. For this reason I will not go just because the light is green. Should I get t-boned just because some impatient idiot behind me can't wait a few seconds? Most-often the cars running red lights are accelerating and I don't wish to see how my Camry fares against a dump truck or an accelerating Suburban.

Hey - if it makes you feel better just honk, scream and wave your arms frantically and by the time you're finished we should both be ready to go through the intersection.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:57 PM

792 posts, read 2,873,661 times
Today, in a suburb of our nation's capitol, I saw two guys at a stop light hurling trash out the window at each other. Cool Springs is beautiful. Breath deep. Appreciate.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:14 PM

19,027 posts, read 27,585,087 times
It's very easy. Here's how it works:

Two pals drive in a car and get to a quiet, no cars, intersection. Light is red. Driver slams on gas and rushes through that intersection like chased by cholera.
His buddy yells at him - are you nuts, why did you go on red?
No worries, I am cowboy behind the wheel, says driver.
They keep driving down same rural road, and sure, here's another intersection. Light is green. Driver slams on brakes, and slowly, painfully inches through intersection, twisting his head to left and right.
His pal yells again - wdf is wrong with you, you run the red, cowboy behind the wheel, and creep on green?
Well, I am not the only cowboy in the area, responds driver.

Also, from morning observation. People can't. The very moment light turns red, they have to start rummaging in something on the passenger seat. Head goes down and they forget about everything else.

Also, many times, if you honk at someone, you get fingered. Then it gets personal.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:17 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,848,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
What annoys me here in Denver is how many people handle the solid green left-turn light in an intersection. I was taught to move forward out into the intersection and when the oncoming traffic clears, turn left. If it never clears, you're already out in the intersection, so go ahead and turn once the oncoming traffic stops. This means you actually turn after the light turns yellow, or even just turned red. But over and over I see people who won't pull out into the intersection and just sit there and let the light cycle through again
I used to pull ahead and wait. Then they started installing red light cameras. That and the fact that there are too many idiots who accelerate at the last second when the light is turning red so they can possibly beat it. I'm sorry if I put my life ahead of others impatience and don't want to pay any fines.

If making a right turn on red I'll also wait for any approaching cars with their blinkers on to actually turn before I go out. Certain vehicles I'll actually wait till they complete their turn as well before moving. I've been on the receiving end of an occasional horn blast for that as well.

As far as waiting to turn right while the light is green. As another stated, I too, like to make sure the approaching traffic actually stops first before proceeding. If the cars to my left are going You can "assume" all is clear or you can wait to get an actual visual just to be sure no semi is going to be blasting through his red light and T-bone you. If your in a compact and there is van to your left how are you to see wether the other traffic actually stopped? Who's to say the drivers to your left aren't going just because the light turns green and not pay any attention to weather the other traffic is actually stopping? Of course he could also be waiting because he's had a brain fart as well. We're all human.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:34 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,787,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I am dealing with the same thing here in Tennessee. I am from Florida originally, and down there when the light is green and you only see a few cars coming as you get to the intersection everyone pulls up to the middle to prepare for a left turn like you mentioned. Here in Tennessee it's a random thing. Some people do that and lots of other people just sit there waiting behind the intersection line for the next cycle of lights to happen, and even when it's totally clear sometimes they sit there and pull up slowly, then brake, then pull up slowly, then brake, and then finally go as more cars are getting closer. I always pull up in the middle for a couple reasons.

One is so I'm not blocking the vision on the other car on the other side of the intersection who is making the left turn over there, and two is because I want to be out there so I'm not holding up the traffic behind me and also because it's easier for me to see things. If the roads are totally jammed on each side I may wait behind the line because there's no point in blocking the intersection, but it's ridiculous when you can see that oncoming traffic is minimal coming towards you, yet the people in front of you wait behind the line instead of pulling forward to get prepared to turn. I remember in Florida people would look at you like you were crazy for waiting behind the line when it's green and honk at you if you held up a cycle of traffic and made people wait through another cycle when traffic wasn't busy, up here it seems the opposite like as if people think your a crazy person for pulling forward in the middle of the intersection as the light is green. I see cops doing it here, so why do people here act like it's incorrect?

I just don't get it. I also don't get the people here who cannot make thier way into that middle lane to turn left, they turn over 2 lanes to make a left turn instead of using that middle lane to turn and it blocks traffic behind them. Maybe it's just the mix of small town folk here who don't know how to drive in busy areas, who knows?

Old 02-07-2013, 07:06 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,807,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
I used to pull ahead and wait. Then they started installing red light cameras. That and the fact that there are too many idiots who accelerate at the last second when the light is turning red so they can possibly beat it. I'm sorry if I put my life ahead of others impatience and don't want to pay any fines.
You won't get fined for pulling up. It's not illegal. If you get fined, take it to court where it will get thrown out. As for red light runners, you have only to wait until you're sure none are coming and then go. That's not any more dangerous than sitting behind the line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive