Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2013, 05:24 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,963,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
A 1992 Lincoln Town Car... a good year for those. Yes, the engine is also very good. They are reliable, true.

I certainly wouldn't consider a '92 Lincoln ugly.
I would consider this ugly:

With a Lincoln Town Car, the ride should not be bouncy. It should be smooth.

My '95 Town Car weighs 4,010 lbs, which is actually less than my '66 Plymouth Fury with the 383-4 bbl engine (4,330 lbs).
I do not know what that is but yes. extremely ugly. However my daughter does not own one, so I cannot tease her about it being ugly. Actually if she owned one of those I would ask her to park it on the mainland and I would just go pick her up in a canoe. That is too ugly to allow in my driveway, or even on the island for that matter.

The ride is fairly smooth on little bumps but very bouncy on big ones like railroad tracks. Maybe the shocks are shot. It is a 1992 after all. I think it has air shocks. When she took it in for evaluation, they did not say anything was wrong with the shocks. I cannot tell, I drive muscle cars and trucks, I am not sure how soft luxury car suspension is supposed to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 05:28 PM

24,517 posts, read 33,370,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
I would disagree strongly with that. Fords are OK, but GM is still working out issues. Chryslers are now foreign cars. They might be "the same" as Honda and Toyota, but frankly, they've fallen behind too.
If you go by data and tests, you will see that my claim is accurate.

Quote:
Might look ugly but they drive SO nice. And they're much less ugly looking from the driver's seat. They're much MUCH less ugly looking when you've got the engine in boost, deep in the powerband, and are flinging it through turns, it just won't let go of the road. All kinds of fun.
"Less ugly from the driver's seat?" That not really saying much! As for driving fun cars, I've driven quite a few of those, too. For example, some that can burn rubber for 100 feet!

Quote:
How can you tell what year a Lincoln Town Car is? They hadn't really changed since the 70s, right?
Yes and no. They did not change much in terms of ride and comfort (the '70s Town Cars do have a smoother "boulevard ride.") The '70s Lincolns did not have a computer-controlled engine or transmission.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:28 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,705,497 times
That's a Nissan Juke and while it is ugly. It isn't that bad to drive. Turbo motor and can be had with a slick manual. It's like the Porsche Panamera. Both ugly but you don't have to look at it from the inside.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I do not know what that is but yes. extremely ugly. However my daughter does not own one, so I cannot tease her about it being ugly. Actually if she owned one of those I would ask her to park it on the mainland and I would just go pick her up in a canoe. That is too ugly to allow in my driveway, or even on the island for that matter.

The ride is fairly smooth on little bumps but very bouncy on big ones like railroad tracks. Maybe the shocks are shot. It is a 1992 after all. I think it has air shocks. When she took it in for evaluation, they did not say anything was wrong with the shocks. I cannot tell, I drive muscle cars and trucks, I am not sure how soft luxury car suspension is supposed to be.
Yes, it sure is ugly. That is why I took the photo. I know that many cars have become quite ugly, but this one is really taking it to the extreme!

A typical motorist in the 1960s wouldn't be caught dead in that!

Old 04-09-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
That's a Nissan Juke and while it is ugly. It isn't that bad to drive. Turbo motor and can be had with a slick manual. It's like the Porsche Panamera. Both ugly but you don't have to look at it from the inside.
Thanks for identifying the model. I knew it was a Nissan but didn't know the model. And I forgot to look for an emblem after I took the photo.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:41 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,630,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
"Less ugly from the driver's seat?" That not really saying much! As for driving fun cars, I've driven quite a few of those, too. For example, some that can burn rubber for 100 feet!
Most cars look less ugly from the driver's seat if they have any sort of decent interior. I don't see how burning rubber for 100 feet is any fun though. Except for your local tire salesman maybe.

On the other hand, that hairpin curve that's 500 feet after your burnout, how fast can you take it? I bet that Juke can take it faster than anything you've driven.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:52 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,963,134 times
Put that on the list of dangerous cars. People go into shock when they see it and crash. Who designed that thing thinking it would be a good idea to make it look like that? I wonder how that compares on the list of ugliest cars ever made. It certainly beats the Aztec.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
Most cars look less ugly from the driver's seat if they have any sort of decent interior. I don't see how burning rubber for 100 feet is any fun though. Except for your local tire salesman maybe.
Oh, it's lots of fun, as classic muscle car guys like me know...

1966 Plymouth Fury III Burnout - YouTube

Quote:
On the other hand, that hairpin curve that's 500 feet after your burnout, how fast can you take it? I bet that Juke can take it faster than anything you've driven.
I don't like taking hairpin curves fast. Makes me dizzy. I have a lot more fun with a car that has lots of low-end torque. I also prefer owning a car which I am not ashamed to park at a car show!

Old 04-09-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Put that on the list of dangerous cars. People go into shock when they see it and crash. Who designed that thing thinking it would be a good idea to make it look like that? I wonder how that compares on the list of ugliest cars ever made. It certainly beats the Aztec.
LOL.

I never thought of it that way!

It would definitely rate high on the "most ugly" list.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
I can have a polite discussion with people who I consider to be half decent people. My reply was rude? Here's a tissue.
Is it that hard to be civilized?

The proper way to reply if someone says you were rude is to say, "I'm sorry if I was rude."

Believe me, I am more than half decent. Read my posts on this board. I don't name-call or attack other posters. If you would do the same, that would be great.

Last edited by Fleet; 04-09-2013 at 07:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive