Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2012, 12:22 PM

1,344 posts, read 4,763,285 times

Advertisements

So I finally got my title and registration for a new car I purchase in October. I haven't checked the VIN number on the car itself yet, but the title/registration have a different color: says "GRY" when the car is a dark red. No mistaking it for grey. I'm tempted to just "let it go", but I have the feeling this could bite me in the behind if/when I get pulled over at some point, and/or I sell the car. Anyone have a problem like this?

God help me if the VIN number is different on the car. I really don't feel like dealing with this dealer anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 01:26 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,217,219 times
I would let it go unless you like headaches. As long as the title, registration and VIN# all agree then I don't see a problem. However if the police were to ever look for the car in the event it was stolen or you were on the run, they would be looking at registration information.

Old 12-26-2012, 04:31 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,671,485 times
I had them get the color wrong in Virginia once. It was just a data entry error and they fixed it with no questions asked. DMV told me that vehicle color, unlike some other data, is not captured from the VIN...if somebody punches in the wrong color code...the color ends up wrong. Plus, obviously, cars are sometimes repainted a different color...so the records should be corrected to reflect that.

A VIN error would be much more serious....I would check that immediately.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:37 PM

1,344 posts, read 4,763,285 times
Thanks for the replies. The VIN number checked out on the dash and door jamb.

I'll probably let the color thing slide for now, I have a stack of other BS I need to deal with before this...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive