Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 07:35 PM

6,988 posts, read 4,809,652 times

Advertisements

OK, I may come off as sounding a bit "dumb". I'm sorry if so. I did try to search for an answer on the forum, but didn't find anything similar to my situation.

I have an opportunity (shall we call it) to purchase a 2004 VW Beetle with "I don't know" how many miles on it, from a seller on Craigslist, for $1500 negotiable. It looks to be in good shape physically from the pictures posted, but the seller says it is running "really rough". It's been sitting in a garage or barn for 2 years. He sounds pretty young, the seller.

It has no title. The seller says it belonged to his father, who passed away last week. The father got it without the title, so there is no title.

Of course I would look at it, start it, drive it if possible before buying it. Try to determine if the "really rough" is something fixable. I'm not a mechanic by any means but I hope to bring a knowledgeable person to help with that aspect.

My question is, how do you go about doing a title search in this type of situation, if it is even possible? What would I need to do to actually buy this vehicle if it's a viable thing?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 08:48 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
Craig's List....no title = run as fast as you can

Old 04-24-2013, 08:54 PM

1,218 posts, read 3,467,077 times
unless you can get it for less than it's value in scrap metal

Old 04-24-2013, 08:55 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,436,414 times
I sold a car to a dealership. Did not have the title. The dealership person said they would have no problem getting one. They didn't ask me anything, but, I did tell them (which was the truth) that it belonged to my mil who died a few weeks before and no one could find the title. I'm sure there's a way to find out what you want to know, but, I don't know. Somewhere the VIN number is registered, I think.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:22 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,337,523 times
Yeah... no. Unless they can get the title for you, I wouldn't buy it. Ever.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:30 PM

48 posts, read 107,175 times
I would talk to the DMV, especially in a high-insurance state like Louisiana. The DMV can look it up and tell you everything they know about the vehicle.

Ask the guy if you can get the VIN# and take it the the DMV. Don't worry, the car isn't going anywhere (people usually run away from these types of sales). Obviously if he declines, you know something is up.

There are regulations about lost/abandoned titles. Sorry, I don't know theme but I would really recommend you find out what your state (LA) regulations are.

Personally, I wouldn't hand over any cash but that's just me.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:49 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,337,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
I sold a car to a dealership. Did not have the title. The dealership person said they would have no problem getting one. They didn't ask me anything, but, I did tell them (which was the truth) that it belonged to my mil who died a few weeks before and no one could find the title. I'm sure there's a way to find out what you want to know, but, I don't know. Somewhere the VIN number is registered, I think.
Unless you had a will or you were the executor of the will/estate, they broke the law in that case.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:53 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
With no title, the car would be wrapped up in probate unless it specifically stated in a will who the car was to go to. If not, then you won't be able to get a title for it, perhaps for years.

Run away from this one.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:01 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,693,023 times
No title? See video please.

The Office- Michael Scott No God No - YouTube

Old 04-24-2013, 10:42 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,070,521 times
I've been looking for a few different vehicles for restoration. Most are mid-late 70's. I'm amazed at 'the dog ate the title' BS stories. Can't find it, it's still in the previous owners name from a different state, I'm selling it for my cousin, I bought the car to restore but I don't have the time, don't have the money, need the space but it's still in the previous owners name [or no title].
My policy- If the vehicle does not have a current title from my state with the name/address of the person possessing it with the VIN on the title matching the VIN on the vehicle, I'm not interested, no matter the condition, extra parts included or price.
I can't find the title but I have a bridge for sale that is in Brooklyn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive