Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 08:55 AM

6,593 posts, read 11,304,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxis View Post
There is plenty of margin in new cars. There are all sorts of kick-backs manufacturers give to dealers (volume, time on lot, specific model discounts, etc etc etc). They do quite well.
Car Dealership Profits: How Much Do They Really Make? | Speedy Daddy
http://www.nada.org/NR/rdonlyres/C1C...A2012Final.pdf

This isn't' to say dealers aren't doing well (which wasn't my point). But the margin is much less than most think. Which makes sense why an extra ~2% cost to sell a car via CC isn't going to happen very often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2012, 09:35 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,573,632 times
Dealers still make money on new car sales even when they're priced super-aggressively a la Hyundai.

If the dealer squawks for whatever reason if you try to buy the car with a CC, head for the door.

Old 12-22-2012, 11:33 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,642 posts, read 81,333,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
If a dealer is desperate for a sale, won't they bend on their policy if you threaten to go elsewhere?
No. Here they have a written posted policy limiting credit cards to service or up to $3,000 of the down payment, even at the luxury dealerships. That 3-4% it costs them could be close to their profit on the
sale. You could get a cash advance, and use that but then some card providers will not give you the miles on that. Better yet use the debit card if you have the funds, they only pay a few cents per transaction regardless of the amount. On the other hand, it's kind of fun to write a check for the total amount and
watch them call the bank to verify the funds.

Old 12-22-2012, 11:38 AM

3,763 posts, read 6,716,790 times
When I bought my last used car the max I could put on a credit card was 6k. I know most dealers don't allow for full amounts on credit cards because of merchant fees and they lose profit. I had to finance some of it which if you can avoid financing then do!

Old 12-24-2012, 09:46 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,843,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
No. Here they have a written posted policy limiting credit cards to service or up to $3,000 of the down payment, even at the luxury dealerships. That 3-4% it costs them could be close to their profit on the
sale.
Then the dealership down the street makes the sale, and the dealer that refused gets nothing. Nothing is better than something, I guess.

Old 12-24-2012, 09:57 AM

106,817 posts, read 109,039,935 times
not always. many times certain models that are popular are on an allocation basis. a dealer has to maximize every one of them sold. if he lets one go to cheap he loses the potential profit on the sale to another customer.

Old 12-25-2012, 10:16 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,843,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
not always. many times certain models that are popular are on an allocation basis. a dealer has to maximize every one of them sold. if he lets one go to cheap he loses the potential profit on the sale to another customer.
I agree with that that it is not always like that. I was thinking of a dealer desperate for a sale, not one that is doing fine as is.

Old 12-28-2012, 01:47 PM

894 posts, read 1,326,667 times
Used a balance transfer check from discover for my 4k down payment on my truck. It was some sort of 12month no apr special.

Old 12-28-2012, 02:57 PM

774 posts, read 2,603,933 times
Yes I have but the car was only $9500.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:04 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,048,310 times
A few years ago we bought an older Toyota Tacoma truck off a local Chevy dealers lot. It was a trade in. We looked at it and test drove it but then decided to wait. This was in the dead of winter as the economy was sinking around here. It was there a month later, and priced a lot lower, so we looked at it again. We found the prev owners name in the glove box (tires receipt) and called him. Nice guy. He got $6000 trade in on it. Dealer told us they would sell for $6400, and they would fix the heater that didn't work. So $7200 out the door (tax).

I wanted to pay with my Visa ($15k+ credit limit) but I didn't tell the dealer that. I called my Visa and preauthorized such a charge. Then went to the bank and got a cashiers check for the OTD price, made out to pay to myself. Went to pay at the dealer and I pulled out my Visa to pay. He hesitated for a moment, but then ran the sale. On the way home we stopped at the bank and payed the check onto my Visa. If he didn't take the Visa I would have endorsed the check and made it payable to the dealer.

They didn't make much money off that sale, after cc fees. I got some decent Visa rewards off that charge.

Last year a friend of mine bought a used Subaru in ND and they would only let her pay a few thousand with the credit card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive