Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 08:50 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,387,811 times

Advertisements

GM keeps sending me credit card offers to earn points toward a discount on my next car purchase with them.
Has anyone done this and how much did you save on a purchase doing this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 09:50 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,248,642 times
There's a limit to how much can be applied to the purchase of a car. Read the fine print.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:24 PM

370 posts, read 1,565,903 times
Yes, we have done this and there was a limit (I think it was $1000) but, $1000 is $1000 and, if you're going to buy a Chevy anyway - just don't tell them until you've settled on the price!

Old 07-29-2012, 05:29 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,638,906 times
We had one from Ford / Citibank Mastercard. When it was first offered it was great. Then over the years there were more and more restrictions. Ford citi dollars earned would expire after a certain amount of time. If I remember correctly, the most we ever got off was nearly 1700 dollars. The program finally went away. As far as telling the dealer about your rebates,
check first. The Ford program we had was through the bank. You made your deal with the dealer and when done you called the bank and told them you purchased a new Ford. The bank then faxed a form to the dealer who then faxed it back. You get your check in the mail about a week later. Also: the rebate had nothing to do with the final dealer price. In other words, you didn't reduce the tax you paid buy using the rebate.

Old 07-29-2012, 05:46 AM

1,548 posts, read 3,036,933 times
There is always fine print and catches. If the fine print is that there's a $1k max (or anything similar, which, in my experience, there always is), get yourself a rewards-earning credit card like Capital One, instead. With a Capital One card:

#1, there's no limit to the rewards you can earn (unlike the Chevy card with a $1k cap),
#2, you can use the rewards on any purchase you want (unlike the Chevy card that limits you to using the rewards on your Chevy purchase),
#3, the card will continue to have a benefit to you after you've purchased your Chevy (unlike the Chevy card), and
#4, you won't be opening a card, just to close it later when you no longer need the Chevy reward (which can affect your FICO score).

I've had the same cards for many, many years (just one factor in a FICO score) and my FICO is 820. I always steer clear of gimmick cards.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:16 AM

881 posts, read 2,094,581 times
Ah, shades of the mid 90's - there were affinity cards for everyone - and everything - GM, Ford, Chrysler, Nissan, VW, you name 'em. exho is spot on, BTW - at first they had few, if any, spending restrictions - new cars, service, parts... it was all good. Of course, folks began playing the cards (using points to $ for hard to get parts, sell them on this newfangled ebay, profit$$$), so by the end they were all pretty much useless... as is the current GM card's redemption limits that range from $3K down to $500.

Old 07-29-2012, 04:45 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,211,194 times
YO If you dont REALLY NEED a credit card dont get one...It is just a marketing tool to bring in suckers....

Old 07-30-2012, 07:21 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,248,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
YO If you dont REALLY NEED a credit card dont get one...It is just a marketing tool to bring in suckers....
Sometimes it's just better to not post.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:29 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,801,305 times
The limit depends on the vehicle you are buying. Smaller margin cars lize Cruzes and Sonics have smaller incentives the larger margin vehicles like Escalades.

There are cards that don't have limits, so if you hear about someone that got more then the $1000, $2000, etc that's usually offered it is true - but all those cards got handed out years ago to factory employees and the like and there aren't any new ones being issued.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:16 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,735,454 times
As others said read the fine print. Sometimes there is a cap, somtimes there isn't. Sometimes the rewards expire and sometimes they don't. Even if you get an uncapped card where the rewards don't expire (doubt this is the case) there is usually a limit as to how much can be applied to any purchase on a car-by-car basis. As Tourian said, smaller, low margin cars are going to have lower amounts that can be used versus larger, higher margin cars.

Overall, I don't think it is worth it unless you are deadset on getting a new GM vehicle and can max out the points easily and then pay it off or switch to a more versatile card. However, that discussion is more personal finance then automotive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive