Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2024, 11:27 AM

16,609 posts, read 19,841,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
"Grounded to the ground!"

But yes, the point that even basic sedans and minivans outperform sports cars of old is a valid observation.

Yep. First car was a V8 Firebird, 1974. 290HP. My 4 cylnder Volvo today has 330 and does 0-60 OVER 2 times faster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2024, 04:05 PM

10,699 posts, read 7,207,173 times
Up through the 90s and maybe the 2000's if you got a new car, the entire neighborhood would come out see it. The 2008 Financial Crisis completely changed the industry with the Governments becoming increasingly involved. They are more concerned about meeting Govt regulations that the vehicle has become a checklist item rather than a piece of art. Individual Designers are out, and design by committee has been put in its place.

Old 05-30-2024, 05:17 AM

3,870 posts, read 2,374,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Individual Designers are out, and design by committee has been put in its place.
Are you SURE about that?

Peter Schreyer and Karim Habib at Kia have been doing excellent work, Ian Callum is still doing good work, as well as others. Laurens van den Acker, Ed Wellburn, etc.

I follow this page:

https://www.cardesignnews.com/

And it constantly covers automotive design talent. I'm thinking you're just as wrong about this as everything else you post here.

Old 05-30-2024, 06:34 AM

4,685 posts, read 2,830,845 times
Even the cool cars of yesteryear generally failed in one way or another. Most people, let's face it, set a floor performance level and after Honda Toyota Mazda and Nissan got their act together in the early 80s, the car that spends a lot of time in the shop, or randomly won't start, or requires an engine rebuild at 100,000 miles, no longer met that minimum standard.

Now it's true that the boring Chevy Nova four-door sedan with the straight six and Powerglide was no more reliable than the Hemi Charger or LS6 Chevelle; it wasn't unreliability alone that spelled the end for the "cool cars" of yesteryear. But for a while there in the 80s and 90s, the choice for most people was "cool American car, unreliable, or uncool Japanese car, WILL START EVERY TIME I TURN THE KEY AND I'LL NEVER BE LATE TO WORK AGAIN." After a while the appeal of the cool car just wasn't enough to overcome the reliability of the uncool car; and the long term sustainable market for cool cars largely went away. Look at the retro Thunderbird; or the PT Cruiser; or Chevy HHT trucklet; or Viper. All of these sold well for a few years, then everyone who wanted one had one, and they were discontinued.

But there are SOME cool cars that remain in production - Miata (despite it being supposedly "underpowered"); the Challenger; Mustang; a few others.

Another truth is that cars simply aren't the thing that appeals to young people today. Of course, I know 50 people will now post their favorite unicorn counterexample of their niece or nephew who's a dyed-in-the-wool motorhead at 15; so just spare us. You know the only reason you want to post that is BECAUSE those few people are exceptions. Heck, most of my colleagues' and friends' kids didn't even WANT to get a license at 16, but had to be pushed into it by their parents! Automobiles had a long run as the favored obsession of pre-teen and teens - especially boys - but that's largely over. They're more likely to see a car as an appliance, like the fridge - yes, you need one, but you're not going to draw refrigerators all over your social studies notebook instead of paying attention.

Old 05-30-2024, 06:57 AM

5,286 posts, read 6,226,128 times
I think those of us who were lucky enough to own our first cars in the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s we enjoyed a time in automobile history that will never be seen again.

Cars were easily found for cheap, easy to repair (fuel, spark, ignition) and if you couldn’t repair you had plenty of gear head friends that could. Engine swaps and modifications were pretty simple. No computers, emissions, or complicated operating systems. Cars were freedom to us.

Some of us needed cars for part time jobs in high school which also is becoming a thing of the past.

As an aging Boomer who frequents a few car shows and Cars and Coffee’s I see a lot of classic cars owned by older folks and I wonder where all these beautiful cars will go as the younger generations can’t afford these classics now.

Bottom line the ability for the average Joe or Jane to tinker with their cars mechanically is gone.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/gen-z-...ing-road-study

Old 05-30-2024, 09:15 AM

11,004 posts, read 4,704,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
... but you're not going to draw refrigerators all over your social studies notebook instead of paying attention.

sez you

Old 05-30-2024, 09:59 AM

10,697 posts, read 7,917,887 times
Some of the old cars and trucks had way cool styling, better than anything today.

Performance and durability wise they were mostly junkers compared to modern vehicles.

Old 05-31-2024, 07:57 AM

1,514 posts, read 825,935 times
Quote:
"Grounded to the ground!"

But yes, the point that even basic sedans and minivans outperform sports cars of old is a valid observation.
Outperform in acceleration but probably not in handling and you definitely loose the "cool" factor!

Old 05-31-2024, 09:41 AM

2,190 posts, read 1,095,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce88 View Post
Outperform in acceleration but probably not in handling and you definitely loose the "cool" factor!
Probably would outhandle too. Old suspensions and tires, solid rear axles, drum brakes? No thanks.

Old 05-31-2024, 09:44 AM

2,190 posts, read 1,095,534 times
Quote:
Are you SURE about that?

Peter Schreyer and Karim Habib at Kia have been doing excellent work, Ian Callum is still doing good work, as well as others. Laurens van den Acker, Ed Wellburn, etc.

I follow this page:

https://www.cardesignnews.com/

And it constantly covers automotive design talent. I'm thinking you're just as wrong about this as everything else you post here.
Good points! The info is out there for anyone who isn't clinging to nostalgic, inaccurate memories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive