Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 01:15 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,674,468 times

Advertisements

Seems the younger generation is backing away from cars to make their youth statements with. Who could blame them since cars are all computer controlled not to mention fuel prices. All of this makes cars more and more unattractive to the cash strapped youth today.

Slow ride: Buses are the new vehicles of youth rebellion | Grist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 04:29 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,773,298 times
Maybe this is a good thing...less inexperienced teens on the road causing less accidents, less people buying gas....less pollution.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:12 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,872,134 times
and more open road for me!!!! ~~

Old 03-26-2012, 08:16 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,693,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
Seems the younger generation is backing away from cars to make their youth statements with. Who could blame them since cars are all computer controlled not to mention fuel prices. All of this makes cars more and more unattractive to the cash strapped youth today.

I think it has to do more with cost than anything else. Vehicles are expensive to purchase, maintain, fuel, insure, etc; young people simply aren't making the money necessary to cover all the expenses of vehicle ownership.

In a car-centric city such as Phoenix, this is much less prevalent than in urban centers like NYC. Young people here are still heavily reliant on vehicle transportation to commute, meet friends, etc. I don't think that's going away anytime soon either.

I'll have to be dead before I give up my driving rights.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:43 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,578,434 times
Most young people still want a car, but many are expected to work for pay for the upkeep and insurance. Unfortunately many young people today are too lazy to work.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:46 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,620,458 times
Please take that article with a grain of salt since the website publishing it is an environmental green media promoter and has a certain agenda. Everyone knows the reason behind young adults' uninterest in autos is their under/unemployment & the general malaise of the great recession. But when you make bank like 18yo JustinB what do you do? You get yourself a Lambo and a Ferrari! You don't see him bussing it or car-sharing with ZipCar.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:47 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
Sour. Grapes.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:16 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,674,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
Please take that article with a grain of salt since the website publishing it is an environmental green media promoter and has a certain agenda. .
Those who attack the source of a story from a well respected source have nothing of merit to add to the discussion.

The discussion is what is important not the source.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:26 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,495,745 times
Quote:
Those who attack the source of a story from a well respected source have nothing of merit to add to the discussion.

The discussion is what is important not the source.
I guess, but the rest of the point the poster made was spot on.

I've owned computer controlled vehicles and non.

I'd most definitely rather have computer controlled. Why not? Rather tune a vehicle from a desktop or laptop computers than with some silly paperclip like was mentioned with a grin with my first car...a 1969 VW Beetle.

On that note, that techno stuff would or should send the younger crowd right to car dealerships everywhere. Oh, that's right. They were too busy taking on fluff majors and sitting un(der)employed like the rest of their classmates who were conned into believing that their humanities instructors who pawn off all their menial tasks on TA's would be retiring eventually...which didn't happen, btw.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:26 PM

11 posts, read 66,305 times
Quote:

Well, more cool than a '93 Suburban with new alloy wheels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive