Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 06:43 AM

15,830 posts, read 20,615,948 times

Advertisements

While there is absolutely nothing wrong with changing oil on a sooner-than-needed interval, most cars can go slightly longer than the popular 3K miles that is generally toted.

Blackstone Labs

I wonder if anyone here has done an oil analysis done to see how their particular oil and engine is operating at certain mileage intervals.

Only $25, and you can find out exactly what is going on in your oil

This is the report you get
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...one-report.jpg

Google search "Blackstone labs analysis" to see more sample reports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 07:54 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,237,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
While there is absolutely nothing wrong with changing oil on a sooner-than-needed interval, most cars can go slightly longer than the popular 3K miles that is generally toted.

Blackstone Labs

I wonder if anyone here has done an oil analysis done to see how their particular oil and engine is operating at certain mileage intervals.

I did a test just recently. Honda V6 with 108K miles. Mobil1 5W20 at 6500-7000 mile intervals (when the Honda oil life indicator says 0 or 5%). Wear elements below (better) averages for that engine.

Old 10-10-2013, 04:17 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,902,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I did a test just recently. Honda V6 with 108K miles. Mobil1 5W20 at 6500-7000 mile intervals (when the Honda oil life indicator says 0 or 5%). Wear elements below (better) averages for that engine.
But if you change it at 3K, wear elements will be way way way way way way way below average.

Or maybe you would just be wasting money doing that.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:34 PM

483 posts, read 1,561,572 times
LOL, some of you are still living in 1975 with API-SE oils and your 3k change intervals. Who the heck still thinks that conventional oils have to be changed at 3k? 5000mi is the standard now, with 7.5k to 10k+ for synthetic oils. But hey, if you love wasting money then keep changing your oil while it's still got plenty of life in it. Your mechanic will love you forever

Old 10-10-2013, 07:14 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,693,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post

Blackstone Labs

I use another lab, but I agree....money well spent.

Not for my cars, but for my vintage pleasure boat which is powered by two 12V-71TI Detroit Diesels. These twelve cylinder engines are getting rare and are very expensive....not to mention that I would have to cut the cabin roof off to get them out of there. So I baby them. Over the years the analysis picked up a few problems early enough to avoid major damage.

Speaking of expensive oil changes...these twelve bangers hold nine gallons (not quarts!) EACH. Plus two huge oil filters on each engine. Then there are the two diesel generators....8 quarts in the main and 6 in the back-up, plus one oil filter on each genny.

Five 5 gallon buckets of oil does it with a bit left over....I could save money getting it in a 55 gallon, but I'm getting too old to horse one of them down the dock! LOL

Old 10-10-2013, 07:56 PM

21,928 posts, read 25,275,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
I've never paid $3 a quart to start off with, it's usually been closer to $5-7 for the cars and $10+ for the bike. Then again, I buy nothing but synthetic, ESPECIALLY for the bike. The oil also lubes the transmission.
Synthetic's about $4-5/quart typically. It hasn't really fluctuated as much as dino oil has.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:03 PM

998 posts, read 1,217,447 times
Oil ratings keep climbing, making them more costly. The latest service category rating for gasoline engines is SN for 2011 and newer model year vehicles. This replaces the previous SM rating that was introduced in November 2004 for 2005 and newer engines. SN-rated oils along with the previous SM, SL and SJ ratings, are all backwards compatible and can be safely used in older engines. But the opposite is not true. Older obsolete service classifications (SH, SG, SF, etc.) may not meet OEM lubrication requirements for newer engines. Likewise, API SL oils should not be used in 2005 and later vehicles, and SJ oils should not be used in 2001 and newer vehicles.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:11 PM

865 posts, read 2,167,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh u View Post
LOL, some of you are still living in 1975 with API-SE oils and your 3k change intervals. Who the heck still thinks that conventional oils have to be changed at 3k? 5000mi is the standard now, with 7.5k to 10k+ for synthetic oils. But hey, if you love wasting money then keep changing your oil while it's still got plenty of life in it. Your mechanic will love you forever
The only thing limiting me to 7500 on my Focus is the warranty. Ford says it can go 7500 on oils that meet it's spec (a good number of conventional oils do). I don't see a reason that I can't (with oil analysis to bakc it up) go 10K + on synthetic ...

There have been people who have run numerous UOAs on conventional oils and found even 5000 miles to be too conservative.

Old 03-14-2017, 01:12 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,189,397 times
Just came across this thread. Commenting on the price of oil, yes dino oil in my are is currently selling for the same price as synthetic - $5.00+ dollars a quart. Far too much considering the current cost of a barrel of oil. Gouging indeed.

Old 03-14-2017, 06:48 AM

421 posts, read 546,727 times
I try to buy when on sale. Get ahead a couple of changes. No need to stockpile, but when it's a good deal and I'll use it...

In the end it's a smaller price of the puzzle, compared to vehicle depreciation and gas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive