Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 11:58 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

Will a auto insurance company give me full coverage on a rebuilt title?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 07:09 AM

334 posts, read 520,850 times
99% of the time, no. A rebuilt title means it had a salvage title before and someone fixed it. In other words its been totaled out once already and you can't total a car twice.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:24 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StcLurker View Post
99% of the time, no. A rebuilt title means it had a salvage title before and someone fixed it. In other words its been totaled out once already and you can't total a car twice.
All absolutely false. Your replacement value may be diminished with a salvage title vs. a "clean" title, but you should have no trouble getting coverage.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:36 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,684,958 times
Yes, they will.

Edit: I wouldn't even announce it to the insurance company. You are buying an insurance policy, not a pedigree. If you demolish it, expect to get a smaller settlement than if it had a clean title.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:07 AM

4,789 posts, read 14,744,746 times
I bought a salvage title 1999 Honda Civic HX that when I test drove and inspected it it worked fine. Bought it Nov 2007 with 99,000 miles, and it still runs great today. Has been somewhat reliable, only costs were my upgrades and a failed ignition key and a bad door lock that was probably broken into to steal my camcorder. Then I had a thief break my window to try to steal my radio but he didn't find a faceplate in the glovebox so it wasn't stolen. I have FULL COVERAGE from State Farm, but for my $500 deductible it was cheaper to repair my broken window through a cheap Mexican repair shop than go through a State Farm authorized repair shop which milked the insurance company.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:30 AM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
If you have a salvageable titled vehicle here and it's registered and has current plates to drive then you can get insurance.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:59 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,641,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Yes, they will.

Edit: I wouldn't even announce it to the insurance company. You are buying an insurance policy, not a pedigree. If you demolish it, expect to get a smaller settlement than if it had a clean title.
Ya, because an insurance company isn't smart enough to run a history on any vehicle they insure..!
Before any insurance is issued, they will know everything there is to know about that vehicles history....
What planet are you from...??

Old 06-15-2012, 10:46 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
Ya, because an insurance company isn't smart enough to run a history on any vehicle they insure..!
Before any insurance is issued, they will know everything there is to know about that vehicles history....
What planet are you from...??
Depends upon the state's insurance laws.

In many states, a rebuilt car can qualify to be street legal, titled, and registered ... and the state requires that any car operated on the public roads have insurance coverage. The owner of the rebuilt car is breaking no laws in having a roadworthy vehicle, albeit of diminished value compared to a regular title car.

So the insurance companies must have policies available for these cars.

Consider that "S" titles car be issued for cars that are stolen, not recovered in a reasonable time frame and the insurance company pays the loss. Then, at a later time, the car is recovered and the damage to it is minor, perhaps limited to a broken ignition lock system. It's not a big deal to put this car back on the road in safe condition. Even had this happen to a 745i BMW where the owner left the car running while heading into a C-store for a pack of smokes ... two kids jumped in the car and stole it. The car wasn't recovered for two years, abandoned in a garage in town. No damage except for having had the snot run out of it for a few weeks and littered with beer cans. As well, I've seen cars totalled out by insurance adjusters that didn't require a lot of work to make roadworthy, such as severely hail damaged cars in our region. All they took to make roadworthy was new glass; the dents in the bodywork didn't affect brakes, suspension, handling, etc.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:55 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times
This is what I was thinking about buying. 2011 Ford Transit Connect XLT

THIS AUCTION IS FOR A VERY UNIQUE 2011 FORD TRANSIT XLT. PLEASE READ CAREFULLY.

THIS IS A 2011 FORD TRANSIT CONNECT XLT. IT IS LOADED WITH MANY OPTIONS INCLUDING THE RARE REAR SECOND ROW SEATING. IT IS BEING OFFERED AT A VERY LOW PRICE. THIS TRANSIT CONNECT LISTS FOR OVER $27,000.00 NEW PLUS DEALER FEES, TAX, TRANSFER AND OTHER OUT- THE-DOOR-FEES. YOU WOULD EASILY PAY OVER $30,000.00 OR AS MUCH AS $33,000.00 FOR AN EQUIVALENT MODEL.

THIS FORD TRANSIT WAS INVOLVED IN A REAR END COLLISION, WHICH DAMAGED THE RIGHT REAR DOOR AND FENDER. IT HAS BEEN REPAIRED AND IS COMPLETE AND READY TO GO. IT IS LIKE THE DAY IT WAS NEW EXCEPT AT HALF THE PRICE.

Ford : Transit Connect XLT Ford : Transit Connect XLT | eBay

Old 06-15-2012, 11:15 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
according to the listing, this vehicle is coming off of an MSO ... which means it was never sold new. Most likely damaged while at a dealership or on a test drive, and apparently minor damage which appears to have been properly repaired.

IF there's a concern about what or how much this vehicle would cost to insure, call your insurance agent for a quote before bidding.

The lister is correct that if the vehicle is as straight as represented, it would be a substantial savings over a new purchase for a year-old model Transit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive