Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 12:17 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,708,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
Ya, because an insurance company isn't smart enough to run a history on any vehicle they insure..!
Before any insurance is issued, they will know everything there is to know about that vehicles history....
What planet are you from...??

Reading comprehension isn't your strong point, is it? Nobody said the insurance company can't find out. *I* can find out that information in 30 seconds if I have the VIN

My advice to the OP is, call insurance company, add car to policy, the end. Keep in mind that you are purchasing a policy that insures your car for a value equivalent to cars like it, and for which you will pay an equivalent physical damage premium. You don't get a discounted premium, and from what I have seen, the title history doesn't affect the amount you get paid for the car if you total it, providing that your insurance company pays the claim. However, YMMV, states are different, etc.

Consider that, in the event of a total loss claim, the vehicle is shipped off to salvage auction with a branded title anyway. It just becomes another salvage titled vehicle at the sale, just like all the other ones with salvage titles. It could be rebuilt again, just like all the other ones with rebuildable title status.

One other thing to remember--a vehicle will not have a warranty with a title brand. That is something to consider. I believe that safety and emissions recalls will still be performed, if any are issued.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 08:38 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,656,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Reading comprehension isn't your strong point, is it? Nobody said the insurance company can't find out. *I* can find out that information in 30 seconds if I have the VIN

My advice to the OP is, call insurance company, add car to policy, the end. Keep in mind that you are purchasing a policy that insures your car for a value equivalent to cars like it, and for which you will pay an equivalent physical damage premium. You don't get a discounted premium, and from what I have seen, the title history doesn't affect the amount you get paid for the car if you total it, providing that your insurance company pays the claim. However, YMMV, states are different, etc.

Consider that, in the event of a total loss claim, the vehicle is shipped off to salvage auction with a branded title anyway. It just becomes another salvage titled vehicle at the sale, just like all the other ones with salvage titles. It could be rebuilt again, just like all the other ones with rebuildable title status.

One other thing to remember--a vehicle will not have a warranty with a title brand. That is something to consider. I believe that safety and emissions recalls will still be performed, if any are issued.
Your right the factory warranty is void with a salvage titled vehicle.

Old 12-08-2013, 01:33 PM

1 posts, read 3,026 times
Your information is complete incorrect. You can not have full coverage on a salvaged or rebuilt vehicle. Why would a company replace a rebuilt vehicle for a clean titled vehicle, in case of an accident? That does not even make sense. I am a licensed insurance agent and any insurance company that allows you to put full coverage on a rebuilt/salvaged vehicle is just taking your money. Because when a claim happens, they will deny your claim and say "sorry this vehicle has already been payed out for a total loss, claim denied"

Old 12-08-2013, 01:40 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,062,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCARTHU2 View Post
Your information is complete incorrect. You can not have full coverage on a salvaged or rebuilt vehicle. Why would a company replace a rebuilt vehicle for a clean titled vehicle, in case of an accident? That does not even make sense. I am a licensed insurance agent and any insurance company that allows you to put full coverage on a rebuilt/salvaged vehicle is just taking your money. Because when a claim happens, they will deny your claim and say "sorry this vehicle has already been payed out for a total loss, claim denied"
That depends on the state, and the insurance company. Most insurance companies WILL do Comp & Collision on a salvage title car. However, in the case of a claim, they'll pay out no more than 80% - probably less.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:04 PM

1 posts, read 2,839 times
Not sure I follow the logic here, many cars are rebuilt from the ground up, I need something more concrete, I am looking at a rebuilt car now. I would assume the insurance company would pay X% of the recorded purchase price if car is within a reasonable price range for year, model and mileage? Thx

Old 03-10-2014, 09:12 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,301,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody Hayes View Post
Not sure I follow the logic here, many cars are rebuilt from the ground up, I need something more concrete, I am looking at a rebuilt car now. I would assume the insurance company would pay X% of the recorded purchase price if car is within a reasonable price range for year, model and mileage? Thx
Because a salvage title reduces the value of a car, it is reasonable to assume that an insurance company will likely reduce the payout for a total loss on a car with a salvage title.

If you're looking for something "concrete" your best bet is to call your insurance agent to get the correct answer to the question. All you are going to get here will be a few specific examples that may or may not apply to your situation with a lot of assumption and conjecture in-between.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:34 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,810,426 times
Rebuilt and salvage titles.

Rebuilt titles and salvage titles | CarInsurance.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive