Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 06:40 PM

297 posts, read 741,170 times

Advertisements

There's a thread in the frugal forum that has a hard time understanding why anyone would buy a luxury car other than seeing it as a status symbol of sorts.

So do you own a luxury car? And if its not as a symbol of status, why do you own it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 06:47 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,017,616 times
Status symbol?

There are plenty of other reasons like wanting a big powerful engine, a car that handles well. A car that is very safe, a car that is fun to drive. A car that is big enough for family and things etc.. There are many more reasons than a status symbol.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:01 PM

88 posts, read 296,629 times
I don't know if this is considered a "luxury car" but I bought a 2005 Acura TL for $14K because it's comfortable to drive in and is reliable and safe...also it has 270 HP

Old 04-20-2012, 07:21 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,248,004 times
I don't own one now, but in the past I've had a few. They ride nice, are usually quiet, have ample power, and have enough room for family and luggage.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:23 PM

63 posts, read 51,482 times
I drive an Audi A6. Zero people died in an Audi A6 from like 2005-2009. It is the safest vehicle on the road by miles. Where I live, a true AWD system is required. Big SUV's roll easily and are unstable on the mountains. Fake "AWD that isnt really awd" like BMW, Merc, Honda et al are useless. The only options are Audi, Subaru and super cars I can't afford.

You ever looked at a Subaru?

I didn't want to spend 60K on an A6, but I'd rather spend 60 on something I love than 30 on something that induces nausea and diarrhea upon viewing (Subaru anything).

A few years ago I'd have mocked a luxury car owner too. Now I feel it's just ignorance and/or jealousy, IMO.

Driving to the store in a Honda is a chore. Driving in an Audi is genuinely fun. The aesthetic of the car also inspires me and keeps me motivated. Maybe it's cheesy but I feel a bit more inspired going into the gym in my Audi; it's an in-my-face reminder of what hard work and a bit of thought can achieve.

There are better things to spend your money on if you aren't an enthusiast. I agree that watching non-enthusiast types who are only upper middle class at best spend most of their money on a car they can't appreciate seems..strange.

But who am I to judge? You poor people in the US love your capitalism and your trickle-down theory, right? You wanted a country of "haves vs have nots," now your upset that luxury vehicles are too in-your-face about it?

Old 04-20-2012, 07:49 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,163,584 times
I have a benz. I own it for two reasons. For fun and for business. I have another personal car which is not a luxury car.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:58 PM

999 posts, read 2,359,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlroadster View Post
There's a thread in the frugal forum that has a hard time understanding why anyone would buy a luxury car other than seeing it as a status symbol of sorts.

So do you own a luxury car? And if its not as a symbol of status, why do you own it?

EXplain what cars you are considering a Status symbol....

Luxury cars are usually large cars with room, and some people need more room....

Old 04-20-2012, 08:00 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,353,120 times
Got a good price on it, as for the BMW's I lust after: Because I like it, I couldn't give less of a hoot what others think, a car is not just a car, some of them are better than others.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:10 PM

297 posts, read 741,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMA View Post
EXplain what cars you are considering a Status symbol....

Luxury cars are usually large cars with room, and some people need more room....
I don't consider any car to be a status symbol, unless if the car were painted in chrome.

I have owned many cars in my life (as distinguished in my other thread with frivolous ownership) and every car that I've owned fulfilled some kind of mental quota...status not being one of them.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:14 PM

1,528 posts, read 4,235,775 times
Lexus IS350, 0-60 in 4.8sec nuff said
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive