Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 09:43 PM

75 posts, read 429,085 times

Advertisements

Hypothetical scenario:
You have cash and a car worth about a total of $18,000 and a budget of about $28,000. You are going to use the money as a down payment on a used 2007+ Lexus, Acura, or Infiniti. Which brand and model would you pick and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 09:46 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,913,521 times
2009/10 G37 for around $28k. Best bang for the buck in that price range and it will have less than 15k miles and less than a year old.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:52 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,142,424 times
I'd go with the G37 as well. No Lexus really interests me and the current generation Acura TL is pretty disgusting.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
the current generation Acura TL is pretty disgusting.
No one can argue against that one.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:34 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,442,158 times
Are you looking for the smoothest, best ride and most comfortable car at the expense of fun driving? If so, then Lexus.

Or do you want handling and power and fun-to-drive at the expense of ride quality and smoothness? If so, then Infiniti.

Either way, skip the Acura.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:45 PM

I'm not really looking for anything particular. I just want a luxury car that's reliable, has convenient technology features such as GPS, has a luxurious interior, and has decent handling and accelerating.
My current car was given to me as a hand-me-down, and it has very touchy steering and accelerating, which I detest. So, I want something that isn't very touchy.
I was really only interested in Lexus and Infiniti. I only threw Acura in there because it is the cheapest of them all. But, it sounds like Infiniti is what I want. I've always wanted a Lexus because of the prestige, but I agree that the styling isn't very sporty. More of a "family sedan" type of cars.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:50 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,334,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker19 View Post
I'm not really looking for anything particular. I just want a luxury car that's reliable, has convenient technology features such as GPS, and has decent handling and accelerating.
My current car was given to me as a hand-me-down, and it has very touchy steering and accelerating, which I detest. So, I want something that isn't very touchy.
I was really only interested in Lexus and Infiniti. I only threw Acura in there because it is the cheapest of them all. But, it sounds like Infiniti is what I want. I've always wanted a Lexus because of the prestige, but I agree that the styling isn't very sporty. More of a "family sedan" type of cars.
Sounds like the Lexus ES 350 (2007 model year or newer) is precisely what you're looking for. Very soft and smooth ride, not touchy. Top quality materials & very attractive (if conservative) design. You should be able to find a clean certified pre-owned right in your budget.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:50 PM

57 posts, read 50,728 times
Judging from your handle, I guess you're in NYC? How are winters there and have you driven RWD or do you plan to get the G37x (AWD)?

By the way, what is touchy? Do you mean that it's sensitive direct steering with a harsh sporty ride? Also, are you looking for manual or automatic? If comfort is more your thing, Lexus is the brand for you.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursofa_king View Post
Judging from your handle, I guess you're in NYC? How are winters there and have you driven RWD or do you plan to get the G37x (AWD)?

By the way, what is touchy? Do you mean that it's sensitive direct steering with a harsh sporty ride? Also, are you looking for manual or automatic? If comfort is more your thing, Lexus is the brand for you.
I'm actually all the way across the country. I'm from New York, though. But, I've never driven a RWD, but I'm willing to try it. I'm not interested in AWD drive at all. I don't need that kind of power where I live and it lowers the MPG just a little.
My current car 'is a Honda Civic, so it's a very small, lightweight sedan. Not sporty at all. If you even tap the accelerator with your toe, or touch the wheel, the car moves. I don't like that at all. I guess I want something a little larger and heavier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Sounds like the Lexus ES 350 (2007 model year or newer) is precisely what you're looking for. Very soft and smooth ride, not touchy. Top quality materials & very attractive (if conservative) design. You should be able to find a clean certified pre-owned right in your budget.
I was looking at some ES's. I think they look very nice, inside. I think the exterior is a little boring looking, though. But, I don't want to be too picky. I guess I can never know until I go in and test drive the cars.

Old 07-10-2011, 12:47 AM

3 posts, read 4,300 times
If you haven't test driven a Lexus ES 350, I'd recommend to give it a try. The style is not my taste, but the ride is smoother than a Mercedes ML 350. Depends on what matters more for your needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive